GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,801
0 members and 1,801 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone ever quit without another job lined up?

I've had my new job for about 4 months. I HATE it and want to quit daily. I've had a couple interviews, but nothing has panned out yet. I'm finding that since I'm a newer employee, I don't have much time to take off and it's hard for me to schedule interviews around my work schedule. So that, and the fact that I absolutely cannot stand my job or anyone I work with, is tempting me to just up and quit.

Has anyone quit without another prospect? Please tell me it worked out okay and you got another job rather quickly. I think I'll be okay finacially for a little while, and if I still don't have a job by the fall I can substitute teach (not my career track, but I did it for a bit in college to get some extra money) until I find something I like.

Any horror stories about quitting and being jobless? I'm scared, but I absolutely hate my job and need to get out of here to save my sanity. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgirly88 View Post
I've had my new job for about 4 months. I HATE it and want to quit daily. I've had a couple interviews, but nothing has panned out yet. I'm finding that since I'm a newer employee, I don't have much time to take off and it's hard for me to schedule interviews around my work schedule. So that, and the fact that I absolutely cannot stand my job or anyone I work with, is tempting me to just up and quit.

Has anyone quit without another prospect? Please tell me it worked out okay and you got another job rather quickly. I think I'll be okay finacially for a little while, and if I still don't have a job by the fall I can substitute teach (not my career track, but I did it for a bit in college to get some extra money) until I find something I like.

Any horror stories about quitting and being jobless? I'm scared, but I absolutely hate my job and need to get out of here to save my sanity. Thanks!
I don't recommend this line of thought from a professional, economical or emotional standpoint. I quit my surgery residency almost two years after I started because I got a spot in the radiology program. Unfortunately, once I knew I had an out, I could no longer put up with the crap forced on me daily in the surgery department and quit. They had put me on 24 hr call two days in a row at two hospitals 100 miles apart...I know, sounds crazy, but they thought it was completely reasonable! I let my new department know...they seemed fine, but a week later, they called back and said I didn't have a job! Aaaah! I was freaked out that I ruined my career. I had no money and now had to pay my employer's portion of my health insurance, or I'd lose it and have a pre-existing condition clause with any new policy. Even though my husband was still working as a resident, we didn't have enough money to go grocery shopping. I literally rolled our entire change bucket to get $75 to feed us for the week! After two months of sweating it out, weekly meetings that went nowhere, crying uncontrollably at the drop of a hat and agreeing to "probation," I got my job back. Unfortunately, every time I move to a new job, I have to explain my probation in residency, which by the way was promised to be for only 6 months but lasted 18 months because the hospital dean is a surgeon. My new boss had to demand that he take me off probation. I would have been better off sucking it up and putting up with 120 hour work weeks for a couple more months.

Just remember, work is called work for a reason. If it were fun, you'd have to pay them!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 07-17-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Is your job anything like a career you want to have for the rest of your life?

Do you have to provide for anyone/anything (i.e. a child or a pet) other than you?

Are you crying in the morning when you have to go to work?

Have you determined that it's not just one factor that could change (i.e. lousy boss) and make the job suck less?

If you answered these no, no, yes, and yes, then quit.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Do you have to provide for anyone/anything (i.e. a child or a pet) other than you?

Have you determined that it's not just one factor that could change (i.e. lousy boss) and make the job suck less?

Agreed.

I quit a job in 2006 with nothing lined up. Yes, it was rough for a while, and I also went back to substitute teaching. But sometimes ANY other job is better than the one you have.

I wrote a thread about it once and most people were supportive. A few people called me disloyal and unprofessional. But nobody has to live with you but YOU, so do what you need to do for your own mental and physical health.

In time, there will not even be a need to mention that job on a resume.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

In my field of professional sales, it is suicide to quit before lining up a new job. I worked with a guy who did just that and it took him almost a year to line up a new job. And he was a TOP sales representative!

I think that prospective employers look at you differently if you are unemployed. If someone else has you, then somehow you are more attractive to them. I know this is silly, but perceptions are important in trying to get ahead in your career. This is especially true in competitive fields.

My advice would be to suck it up and keep looking / interviewing. PLUS, down the road it is always difficult (though not impossible) to explain GAPS on your resume. It's better if the gaps don't exist in the first place.

Does your sorority have a career networking group? If so, join and ask for leads. Utilize the career center at your University, get your resume on Monster, careerbuilder, hotjobs, etc. In other words, do everything you can to find something quickly!

Good luck to you!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I quit without another job at the beginning of June and I don't regret it for a moment. I haven't been able to find another job, but that's basically because I live in a horrible job market.

The only real upside I can think of is that I've been able to go off my blood pressure meds and I've lost 10 pounds. Can't beat that!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:14 PM

I once quit without a new job lined up. I was an independent contractor, and my contract stipulated that I would be paid X days in arrears after submitting an invoice. My client pretended that he had "never received" (read: deliberately lost) invoices, he had "never received" reports, his clients hadn't paid him so he wouldn't pay me (!) - any flimsy excuse not to cut me a check. Finally, one day, he demanded that I work for him for free or he wouldn't give me a good reference. I walked out the door. I later found out that I'm in good company - there are a lot of people who won't do business with him.

Quitting a job without having a new job lined up is not something I would suggest lightly, but sometimes it's something you have to do, for your own sanity if nothing else.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree. I was in a situation just like this almost to a "t". The owner was doing things and making me do things that went against everything I believe in in business and in general life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

The other question to ask is how long you can support yourself without a paycheck. If you are living paycheck to paycheck and can't cover the next month's rent without that paycheck, think about it.

I wish I could quit mine, but I have way too many financial responsibilities to even think about it.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
The other question to ask is how long you can support yourself without a paycheck. If you are living paycheck to paycheck and can't cover the next month's rent without that paycheck, think about it.

I wish I could quit mine, but I have way too many financial responsibilities to even think about it.
ME TOO! And I'm not even living paycheck to paycheck.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink pray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgirly88 View Post

I have been down that road. stay where you are for now because the change you make will require that extra money to make the move. if possible be very quiet as you search and do not let them know you are looking. A new position will come and you owe them nothing, so you are available yesterday. Restructure your budget to fit what you would to do.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I just went through finding a new district because the principal at the school I taught at was a psycho!!! It was very stressful, but I had 4 months salary saved and I work in finance during the summer as well.

Luckily I found a job, but I would not recommend if the job market in your area is not strong. Not to mention enough money 2 live off in the meantime...good luck!!

ΚΔΠ Education Honor Society
Old 08-14-2008, 04:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a falling out with my boss and he called me a few choices words that made me react a lil strongly. He sent me home when that happened, but I didn't regret it. Later, he called me insisting that when he said "Today's your last day, go home," he wasn't firing me at all--would I please come back? MAJOR . I came back, but when he realized that I had filed a complaint against him prior to returning, he acted a fool and made it his mission to torture me. After two days, I talked to my wonderfully understanding store manager and got the go ahead to make that day my official last day. I looked for another job briefly and had a couple good options, but eventually decided I was happier not working. Mind you, I was a student with substantial savings so I could afford that option.

That was an extreme, though. I had another awful job that made me want to run and hide evertime it was time to clock in. I started looking for a new job after 3 weeks. It took 2 months to find another job and I had to take on extra odd jobs to make ends meet in the meantime (I was paid that little ). That job was a necessary evil or else I wouldn't be able to handle the rent. I would say if you're not two seconds from slitting your wrists, then just stick it out.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 08-14-2008, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I've only worked 3 different jobs since I was old enough to work. I won't count the pretzel place, because I only worked there one day. A six hour shift and I never came back. I worked at the zoo when I was 16. I did that until my 2nd year of undergrad. Then I worked at a vet clinic until graduation. Then I moved here to go to vet school. Now I work at another vet clinic, which I'll do until I am a vet. Fortunately for me, I''ve always gotten along with everyone I work(ed) with, so I haven't had to leave any jobs without something else lined up. Plus, I really enjoyed all of the jobs I've worked.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Banned

i got tired of having my first boss always getting mad at me for the dumbest things, she had the biggest power trip. I quit, didn't have a job lined up, sure enough with all the free time I had I found a new job in 4 days