GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,415
3 members and 1,412 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 02-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Banned

Jules, go to vault.com or wetfeet.com.

And for coverletters. You should indeed write one. And while it shouldn't run on and on, it should also be specific to the position and job.

-Rudey
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-02-2004, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

DO NOT FORGET to sign the cover letter!

And: address the letter and resume as accurately as the information you have. I have gotten too many letters/resumes addressed to "Library Director" or "To Whom It May Concern." If the applicant can find my library, s/he can find my name. (Librarians know how to find out stuff; that's the job!) But even if you're not a librarian, you can investigate. Call the company and ask.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Another note:
To you folks just graduating. DO NOT have a 2 page resume! Yes, you need to try to fill up the one page, but if you graduated in December, don't put every library aide, waitress, shoe salesman etc position you had since you were of legal working age. Take your experience that is pertinent to the job you are applying for and expand on those. If you have been in the work force a while and have tons of pertinent experience, then of course more than one page is fine.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say to seal it in a large 8 X 11 envelope and stay away from the staples. Stay away from fancy background paper. That's one way of eliminating excess resumes as a hiring manager. I'd stick to black and white, post only what pertains to the job or may help, and try to keep it to no more than a page and 1/2. Regards, Boodleboy322
Old 03-15-2004, 04:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I am the daughter of a recruiter and the best friend of a casting director. The only people who should staple their resumes are actors. Staple the resume to the headshot.

I can't agree enough with teh coverletter advice. Especially the signing the cover letter part. I hired a new attorney this time last year and had to read a million cover letters (and yes, I read each one). Let's just say that people who didn't sign their cover letters didn't make the best impression.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xo_kathy
Another note:
To you folks just graduating. DO NOT have a 2 page resume! Yes, you need to try to fill up the one page, but if you graduated in December, don't put every library aide, waitress, shoe salesman etc position you had since you were of legal working age. Take your experience that is pertinent to the job you are applying for and expand on those. If you have been in the work force a while and have tons of pertinent experience, then of course more than one page is fine.
I had to work my way through college AND I was very active in my house and on campus so I have a cumulative 5 page resume.

Of course I would NEVER send anyone a resume over a page long...I just include the recent, relevant experience.

Recently I interviewed at a very well respected media company here in Chicago (think "bunny") and the HR Recruiter was confused by my resume becuase my relevant experience looked like I had not done any work since early 2003...but...I did not think it was necessary to include that I waited tables or worked at a retail store because that would take space away from more relevant experiences like managing projects, maintaining websites or planning events.

My question is...how do you work around that? Would a recruiter rather see that you have had a stable job history while working a non-relevant part time job or would they rather see that you have the skills to do the job?

Yes I realize both would be ideal and yes I realize that there are transferrable skills in all jobs.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

e-Cover letter signing

Also....

I always sign cover letters when I mail them...

...but how do you sign them when you e-mail them?

(sorry about the overuse of the elipses)
Old 03-27-2004, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
I just had to send in a packet of info to apply for a special program. If you are required to send lots of pages of info such as an application, a scholarship application, an essay, your resume, your transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc., I would group things together. With lots of pages like that, even in a large mailing envelope things will be neater and more organized for them if they don't reach in and grab a stack of papers that THEY have to sort. When it is just a resume though, I would not clip it. And I would never staple unless they specifically asked.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: e-Cover letter signing

Quote:
Originally posted by xp2k
Also....

I always sign cover letters when I mail them...

...but how do you sign them when you e-mail them?

(sorry about the overuse of the elipses)
Great question. I would love to know the answer too.

I'm in the process of job hunting. I have my resume online but I'm in the process of writing my cover letters, how do I sign them when I'm doing it online?

Also, what is the procedure for online cover letters? I've read that you should address the cover letter to the individual, what if I don't know who the hiring manager is? Should I put "To Whom It May Concern" or not?

God I hate job hunting

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Banned

Re: Re: e-Cover letter signing

Quote:
Originally posted by ASUADPi
Great question. I would love to know the answer too.

I'm in the process of job hunting. I have my resume online but I'm in the process of writing my cover letters, how do I sign them when I'm doing it online?

Also, what is the procedure for online cover letters? I've read that you should address the cover letter to the individual, what if I don't know who the hiring manager is? Should I put "To Whom It May Concern" or not?

God I hate job hunting
You don't need to sign it, but if you want to go one step further scan your signature and insert it as a picture.

-Rudey
Old 03-30-2004, 04:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
ok, here is another question- what about listing you organization? Is it a do or a don't. I have heard both sides. The no's say because it's a partying connotation. the yes's say it could get you in the door.
discuss....
Old 04-04-2004, 03:08 PM

I have a question myself. I am applying for a new, different job. The employer already has an application to fill out and requests that you fill it out whether you send in a resume or not. The application can be filled out and printed off the Internet to be sent to the employer. Well, the application is 6 pages long. Should I staple the application together? I am sending in my resume with it on the same kind of paper. I will be sending the resume and the application in together in the same envelope. I didn't see much of a reason to send them seperately because they might get seperated or what not.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you paperclip it? That way it keeps together and if they want to staple it to hold it togther more securely then they can. It'd also help in case they want to photocopy it (another reason forms filled out by hand require black ink as blue doesn't copy so well) and then would not have to tear off the staples.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maggieaxid
ok, here is another question- what about listing you organization? Is it a do or a don't. I have heard both sides. The no's say because it's a partying connotation. the yes's say it could get you in the door.
discuss....
I would only do it if it were relevant to your position. For example, I know an architect or structural engineer doesn't give a rat's crap about the fact that I was in a sorority but when I apply for student affairs jobs, the fact that I held leadership roles in my sorority and in Panhel is actually relevant to the field at hand. Ideally, you should have enough on your resume RELATED TO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO by the time you leave college (independent research, internships, jobs, or outside experience).