GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,460
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, anthonshtolze75
» Online Users: 1,674
3 members and 1,671 guests
anthonshtolze75, LaneSig, Sarak24034

Old 09-03-2009, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Never realized you were a combat vet Dekeguy. Thank you very much for your service, and I must say I am impressed with your record.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
^^^ dekeguy is just plain all-around awesome.
=======================
Thank you but ...
OK, now I am embarrassed. I was sounding off about what I considered to be a way out of line rant. I really don't like to make a big deal out of something that I believe in very much. I like to tell people about my war stories but I feel funny about sounding like, well, you know...
Old 09-03-2009, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Never realized you were a combat vet Dekeguy. Thank you very much for your service, and I must say I am impressed with your record.
=======================

Appreciate your comment, but please see my response just above this one. I don't like people who brag and I think I came pretty close to it when I answered that out of line rant a few posts ago.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
I really don't like to make a big deal out of something that I believe in very much. I like to tell people about my war stories but I feel funny about sounding like, well, you know...
Which is one of the reasons for your all-around awesomeness.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeksrpansys View Post
what did you do in iraq, get fucked in porto john.. yeah you were there, but you cannot relate to seeing your friend wounded. you'd probably flip shit if someone ran over your cat. go eat a dick you pansy

"a real veteran"
As an actual combat veteran, I am pretty disgusted this jackoff would have the audacity to tell me that I am not "a real veteran" because I must not have seen people die. He does not know what I have seen or what I did.

A note for any other "combat veterans" who want to trash talk people who either DID serve overseas in a combat situation or DID NOT-you don't have the right to trash talk people you don't know.

Just because you served time overseas, don't assume you can look down on people who did not. It is pretty pathetic and makes you seem like a loser. So for greeksrpansys-you can kiss my ass!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Military

Fraternal Greetings SigEpLegacy,

I think I've mentioned this on other threads before but here goes again.

Collegiate and University enrollment spiked to record levels as a result of World War II. Many GIs, mostly men, left WWII and began cashing in on their Montgomery GI Bill benefits. This was a great economic driver in the world of higher education. While these GIs attended these colleges and universities they began to join college fraternities on their campuses. Many of these GIs brought the spirit and camaraderie from the battlefield into these collegiate fraternities triggering the genesis of hazing as the media knows it know. Rigorous exercise, sleep deprivation, etc, prior to this era, was not common amongst collegiate GLOs. Most rights of passage for GLOs, prior to WWII, comprised of simple meetings, a religious type initiation ritual, usually with candles and fellowship. Hazing hit an apex on college campuses in the 60s and 70s with movies like "Animal House" and the influence of the media. It continued on through the 80s and into the 90s but began to lose steam with heightened Risk Management practices that have become standardized for many National GLOs.

Anyway, not to get into a separate topic but in my opinion the fraternities suitable for Veterans to enlist in are the exact same ones that already exist. For the record, I do not condone hazing. This was simply a historical snip-it for my fellow GCrs.

Fraternal Regards,

Boodleboy322

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpLegacy View Post
I was wondering if there was a college fraternity for veterans. With the war in Iraq coming to an end, the demand for service members will dwindle. A majority would probably use their GI Bill. I was wondering if such organizations already exist.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodleboy322 View Post
Many of these GIs brought the spirit and camaraderie from the battlefield into these collegiate fraternities triggering the genesis of hazing as the media knows it know. Rigorous exercise, sleep deprivation, etc, prior to this era, was not common amongst collegiate GLOs. Most rights of passage for GLOs, prior to WWII, comprised of simple meetings, a religious type initiation ritual, usually with candles and fellowship.
While there is much truth to what you've said, brother, in that hazing took on a whole new aspect after soldiers returned from WWII and went to school on the GI bill, I wouldn't discount or ignore the hazing that took place prior to WWII. As just one example, opposition to hazing was a significant factor in the founding of Sigma Nu 1869.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity for Veterans

Duly noted brother Mystic Cat. However, keep in mind that trends, regardless of good or bad, are the result of the Macro and not the Micro.

Yours in Phi Mu Alpha,

Boodleboy322

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
While there is much truth to what you've said, brother, in that hazing took on a whole new aspect after soldiers returned from WWII and went to school on the GI bill, I wouldn't discount or ignore the hazing that took place prior to WWII. As just one example, opposition to hazing was a significant factor in the founding of Sigma Nu 1869.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
But if your strict about it, a veteran is only somebody who retired or served in combat. so yeah.
I am a veteran, and work for the Veterans Administration. A veteran is anybody who has completed their terms of service honorably with the US military, to include Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, the Public Health Service and the National Oceanographic Service (the last 2 surprised me too). Combat is not a determining factor, nor is retirement.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

To everyone who has the mispleasure of reading "Chucks" bullshit. I apologize on behalf of service members all over the world. Being a combat vet doesn't give anyone the right of degrade others. He probably isn't smart enough to attend college. Once again, I'm sorry.