GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,273
2 members and 2,271 guests
flirt5721

Old 01-30-2007, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

University of South Carolina

I was just wondering if the sororities at USC are open minded about girls from other parts of the country? For instance, I am from New England and I am thinking about applying to schools that seem to have a good greek life. But, what if I don't get accepted into a sorority? I have average grades, have played sports and been involved in a few ECs, I know how to party, I am very social, am about 5 foot five, thin, with brown hair, and I have OK looks.

What kind of social life would be available if I rushed but didn't get a bid?

Thank you for your help!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 AM

This thread got a tad contentious, but it may help.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=80173

At any rate - no matter where you go to school and/or rush - stop portraying yourself as "average"! Find something special that makes you different and play up that aspect.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaperson View Post
I know how to party
Whatever you do, don't let this phrase come out of your mouth during rush!

Whether you get into a sorority or not, there are tons of social opportunities at USC. Just go in, have fun, and be yourself.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaperson View Post
I am from New England and I am thinking about applying to schools that seem to have a good greek life.
I hope you have other reasons for picking a college.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Whether you get into a sorority or not, there are tons of social opportunities at USC. Just go in, have fun, and be yourself.
As a alumni of USC, I wholeheartly agree with what AF said. It's best you go to www.sc.edu to find out more about greek and student activites. There are over 200 organizations at the school.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

At any rate - no matter where you go to school and/or rush - stop portraying yourself as "average"! Find something special that makes you different and play up that aspect.
Self esteem issues here ladies - she is "justaperson" - change your GC name to something more personal and special!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

if you decide to attend the university of south carolina and you want to participate in recruitment, you should have a letter of recommendation to each sorority there. since you are from new england, and won't have any connections on campus yet, the rec. will serve as a good introduction. you may have a more succesful recruitment experience if you secure recs.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 01-30-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Being from out of state probably won't be an issue. The GLOs do look at grades (test scores and course work) and activities.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Out of state women have many membership opportunities at South Carolina. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I would suggest good planning, recommendations, and good advice on what all to do during recruitment to maximize your chances of a bid.

Best Wishes!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise_DPhiE View Post
Self esteem issues here ladies - she is "justaperson" - change your GC name to something more personal and special!
Let's not jump to conclusions. It is possible she is trying to remain as anonymous as possible.

That said, recs are KEY if you are from out of state. Also, you will be a mystery going through rush, so you really have to stand out. The good news is that nobody knows about the time in high school you got drunk at a party and threw up on the girl who is now recruitment chair, or whatever else you may have in your past (and trust me, if you were local, the sororities would know).
Old 02-14-2007, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

All of the sororities at USC are very open to girls from outside the south. That shouldn't be your only reason for picking a school, but the chapters at USC are very open-minded about that sort of thing!
Old 02-15-2007, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
the chapters at USC are very open-minded about that sort of thing!
Sorry to take a bit of a tangent, but I get the impression that this is not equally true at every campus in the SEC. Is that right? If so, what forces do you think are shaping the campus cultures so that at one school, virtually every chapter is open to out-of-state girls, and at another school, there are several chapters that focus very heavily on recruiting in-state? (The answer is pretty obvious with Vanderbilt but less obvious with the public schools.)
Old 02-18-2007, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Somewhat

Let's be really honest. SOME of the sororities at USC are open to non-SC girls. You can still get into "top tier" sororities at USC by not being from SC. However, it will be a struggle at some sororities. Rec letters are key, especially if you have rec letters from people who live in SC or the south in general. Also, it is important to make yourself look as involved and well rounded as possible. Don't lie, by any means, but do try to show all your wonderful sides. While everyone tries not to be superficial at rush, when you're trying to narrow down 800-1000 girls who start going through rush down to 50-60 in a pledge class, sometimes all they have to go on is a picture and your resume. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down north shmorth

I really don't see it being a problem...I'm from out of state and I know that I wasn't discriminated during rush in the south for being from up NORTH (heaven forbid...). You'll be fine...if a house likes you...then a house likes you. Easy as that. Whether you're from Virginia, Maine, or Canada! Whatever...
Old 06-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

courto, do attend the university of south carolina?