GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,336
2 members and 2,334 guests
Low D Flat

Old 12-28-2001, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Talking Angel Flight

Was/is anyone else here a member of Angel Flight?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-28-2001, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
I was
Old 12-28-2001, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
What is Angel Flight?
Old 12-28-2001, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

It's the auxiliary to Arnold Air Society and it's also a service organization. I believe it may be called Silver Wings now. Anyway, it was this huge deal at Auburn and Arkansas and was largely populated by Greeks. They had a rush and 200 women would compete each year for about 20 slots. It was also a big deal to be an Army sponsor (Kadettes, I think).

Prospectiverushee, what was your unit? Ours was Horace Hickam.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:07 PM

Just to further explain, Arnold Air Society and Pershing Rifles are (were?) the honoraries for Air Force and Army ROTC. The groups mentioned are (again, were?) the women's auxiliary to those groups back in the 60's. The reason I wonder if they're still around is that it would seem to me that women should be full members of the honoraries by now, making the auxiliaries unnecessary -- and maybe a bit sexist?

That's not to put down Angel Flight members. I knew some of them and they were wonderful on our campus -- and I really loved their uniforms. They just looked great.

I think the Pershing Rifles were named for legendary General "Black Jack" Pershing and the Arnold Air Society was probably named for General Hap Arnold.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

I know what you mean, DeltAlum, it does sound sexist! I was a fraternity little sister too and I blush to remember baking cookies for them and setting up the brothers with Pi Phis!

There were women in Arnold Air when I was an Angel but they were all future AF officers. We were more like a service group--we had loads of activities!
Old 12-28-2001, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Two of my ex-roommates are in Scotch Guard which is exactly like Angel Flight,but is for Army ROTC. Both orgs are very good. Both are very active in communiy service. Scotch Guard has a website in student organzations page on the LSU home page.

Angel Fight is huge at LSU to. In fact, a couple of years ago, 2 guys joined. I think the first guys ever to. The LSU unit is also the largest chapter in the country. When I was in, I think there were like 90 activies. To say it rivaled a sorority would be an unstatement.

Carnation: LSU's chaper is Frank Haggan I think. It's been awhile so my memory is fuzzy at the moment. I thought I had my pledge manual with me that had all the information,but I must have left it at my mom's house in New Orleans
Old 12-29-2001, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a member of the Capt. Frank S. Hagan chapter of Silver Wings at LSU.

To put it simply, we are awesome Last year, we were the national headquarters. We had the largest chapter in the nation, and we always win awards at NatCon (national conclave) and ArCon (area conclave)

The national name is Silver Wings, and the LSU chapter has taken some time to transition from Angel Flight. Our reputation is built on us being all-female. We never discriminated against guys, it was just percieved as being really girly. We're promoting ourselves as Silver Wings now, but we'll always have our great history as Angel Flight

My pledge class had the first 2 males. They quickly dropped out after their pledge semester. Apparently they just wanted to be the first guys.

Last year we pledged a few more guys and they're great - really quality members who work hard. The chapter is great - we do tons of service each semester. Its a great organization

Our website is http://www.geocities.com/LSUSilverWings
Old 12-29-2001, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Juniorgrrl,

I didn't know you were in Angel Flight!!!! That is awesome. The website is great by the way. Did you ever live in East Laville? I use to call that the Angel Flight dorm. It seem like everybody who was in Angel Flight lived in East Laville. At it was true when I was in. Also when I was in (or at least during my pledge semester, most of the members in Angel Flight were Theta's. I know the president at the time I was pledging was a Theta. Then when I went thur rush in Fall 99, a girl who was in my pledge class was a Theta
Old 12-29-2001, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, our New Member Educator this semester is a KKG and she got tons of her sisters to join.

I was in East when it was "the angel flight dorm" That's how I got involved.

Small world
Old 01-03-2002, 03:18 AM

Well Carnation,

Some of the sorority women still bring cookies to the Delt chapter meetings I attend as part of my Division VP duties. I think that's pretty OK.

And thirty-five years ago, the Pi Phis were some of the most beautiful women I had ever met, so I wouldn't have minded being being set up at all! My wife (an independent) would have been a Pi Phi (or maybe a Chi-O, but I think Pi Phi) if her mother hadn't forbidden her from pledging -- but I had to meet her all by myself.

If your actions are something to be ashamed of, I, for one, am willing to forgive you. I've always thought Delts and Pi Phis are a great combination.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.