GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,373
1 members and 1,372 guests
Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State Rush?

I know it started Sunday 18th and Bid Day is Monday, Sept 26th.

Brutal schedule:
Friday, September 16th- Orientation 7pm,
Sunday, September 18th- open house 1pm-9pm
Monday, September 19th- open house 6pm- 9pm
Tuesday, September 20th- open house 6pm-9pm
Wednesday, September 21st- First Rounds 6pm-9pm
Thursday, September 22nd- First Rounds 6pm-9pm
Friday, September 23rd- First Rounds 6-10:30pm
Saturday, September 24th- Second Rounds 1pm-9pm
Sunday, September 25th- Preference Night 6pm-10pm
Monday, September 26th- Bid Day 5pm

How many girls registered? How is it going?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:05 PM

Wow. That's a long week for both PNM's and members! How many of the 26 NPC's do they have right now?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Penn State has 20 of the 26 NPCs

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Phi Mu
Sigma Delta Tau
Sigma Kappa
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Zeta Tau Alpha
Old 09-23-2005, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

No real news yet except that Phi Mu only did Open Houses this year. But, don't worry, it was for a very good reason!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueGBI
No real news yet except that Phi Mu only did Open Houses this year. But, don't worry, it was for a very good reason!
Which was?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Phi Mu is in the process of a reorganization and strengthening of the chapter at Penn State. There is a great deal of good things coming that way!
Old 09-23-2005, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Good for them/you, I hope it works out well!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, what sagesofages said.

My best friend is a member of the Penn State Phi Mu chapter and shes freaking estatic about this. This is her senior year and she was afraid that the chapter was going to close so this is the best thing possible for her.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sageofages
Phi Mu is in the process of a reorganization and strengthening of the chapter at Penn State. There is a great deal of good things coming that way!
Great news!! One of my best friends is a PSU Phi Mu, and her grandmother was one of the chapter founders! Good luck to them!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, bid day is today - I'm hoping someone will let us know how everything goes!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

While I was not in a panhellenic sorority at PSU, a great deal of my friends were. Good luck to everyone tonight (especially Phi Mu)!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Funny story ... I was at the soccer field last Saturday for my son's soccer game. I was wearing an Alpha Phi sweatshirt and one of the other mom's pulled me aside to ask me about it. We both live in CA, but she was from Penn. So, this thread made me think of her and what a small world it becomes after college. Cheers to the ladies at Penn! And special thoughts to those Alpha Phi girls!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Around 500 girls registered, I don't have exact numbers at the moment but quota is below 20 with only 19 chapters participating (Phi Mu actually did not do open houses, they merged with a local service sorority [theta kappa pi -- for those wondering] and have like 60 pledges or something ridiculous like that). My chapter made quota plus with only 21 girls, so a lot of girls must have dropped out of recruitment because from what I was told, quota was much higher last year. I'll get more info as it comes along.

ETA: Bids will be handed out at 5PM in the HUB, this is a really exciting time for all of us! No running out onto the HUB lawn this year, because it is raining up a storm here in Happy Valley.

Last edited by ice_cold; 09-26-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ice_cold
Around 500 girls registered, I don't have exact numbers at the moment but quota is below 20 with only 19 chapters participating (Phi Mu actually did not do open houses, they merged with a local service sorority [theta kappa pi -- for those wondering] and have like 60 pledges or something ridiculous like that).
What what??

I looked up Theta Kappa Pi online and according to what I found, they have a Beta Chapter at the College of Charleston and a Gamma Chapter at Lewis U. Are they going to be associated with Phi Mu as well?? Plus what happened to the Theta Phi Alpha interest group?
Old 09-26-2005, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
What what??

I looked up Theta Kappa Pi online and according to what I found, they have a Beta Chapter at the College of Charleston and a Gamma Chapter at Lewis U. Are they going to be associated with Phi Mu as well?? Plus what happened to the Theta Phi Alpha interest group?
For the record, I am not a Phi Mu so I am not privy to the inner workings of their sorority so basically all that I'm telling is what's been floating around the greek community since the begining of the semester (take that as you will).

As of 9/21 all of the local service/social sororities at Penn State were no longer recognized by the university. NPC basically told all of the IFC fraternities that if they did THON, Homecoming, Greek Week, etc with these sororities that they would not be allowed to do weeklongs or have socials with any of the NPC sororites. The locals cried and complained about it and were obviously very upset with the situation. This happened just as Phi Mu was getting ready to restructure their chapter. Since TKP complained the most to panhellenic about becoming a national sorority (and apparently they had been interested in going national for quite some time), they met with Phi Mu nationals and the two sororities decided to come together as one. All of the officers of Phi Mu were stripped of their duties and the chapter is basically being treated as a colony. I have no idea about the other chapters of TKP.

As for the TPA interest group (Theta Alpha Pi), they may be the next to beg panhellenic for expansion, but they will probably have to merge with a NPC just like TKP did. There are still two other struggling chapters here, so it will be a while before this campus is open for expansion. Neither of them are as far below total as Phi Mu was (they had less than 20 sisters before the merger), but it's still an uphill battle for both.

Last edited by ice_cold; 09-26-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Closed Thread