GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 851
0 members and 851 guests
No Members online

Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

North Carolina Chapel Hill Recruitment

Hello all,

My daughter's friend is currently a freshman and is wanting to transfer to UNC Chapel Hill in the fall as a sophomore. She is very interested in going through recruitment, and if she does decide to transfer and go through recruitment in the fall, I have offered to write her a reference letter. However, she is very worried about being an Asian sophomore transfer and rushing at a university like UNC. I would very much like to give her advice but do not know how recruitment is like at UNC. Are her chances hindered? Do sophomores typically go through recruitment at UNC? Is there a good amount of Asians that go through Panhellenic recruitment and receive bids? She is extremely worried about transferring and not getting a bid, so I just want to be able to prepare her or reassure her in any way.

Thank you in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb View Post
Hello all,

My daughter's friend is currently a freshman and is wanting to transfer to UNC Chapel Hill in the fall as a sophomore. She is very interested in going through recruitment, and if she does decide to transfer and go through recruitment in the fall, I have offered to write her a reference letter. However, she is very worried about being an Asian sophomore transfer and rushing at a university like UNC. I would very much like to give her advice but do not know how recruitment is like at UNC. Are her chances hindered? Do sophomores typically go through recruitment at UNC? Is there a good amount of Asians that go through Panhellenic recruitment and receive bids? She is extremely worried about transferring and not getting a bid, so I just want to be able to prepare her or reassure her in any way.

Thank you in advance!

Feeling extra nice today so:

Rushing as a sophomore at UNC:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ghlight=Chapel

Sophomore transfer recruitment story from UNC:

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone have any more advice/insight about this and cmb's post?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

what do you want to know?
Old 03-05-2010, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb77 View Post
Does anyone have any more advice/insight about this and cmb's post?
You mean other than what's contained in the discussions linked in KSUViolet's post in this thread and in her post in the similar thread you started back in November?
Old 03-05-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb View Post
Is there a good amount of Asians that go through Panhellenic recruitment and receive bids?
Go to the chapter websites. Look at the pictures. Play Where's Waldo with the Asians. The End.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Go to the chapter websites. Look at the pictures. Play Where's Waldo with the Asians. The End.
*dead*
Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
LOLz.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I can tell you that it's not going to be an ideal situation, but it's by no means a lost cause. Not many Asians go through "white" recruitment at UNC and fewer get picked up. I have an Asian friend who rushed as a sophomore at Carolina and only got asked back to one house, one that apparently needed to meet quota badly and had a bad rep. It makes a difference if she was raised "white" or was adopted, or raised as the child of immigrants.

She'll have to try that much harder to impress during rush to offset being older (and only good for three years to a sorority, instead of four) and not white, but it's not hopeless...it's not an anomaly to have a few non-whites in UNC sororities, it's just not as easy for them to get a bid as it is for white girls. Her chances may improve if she's an North Carolina native, which gives her a better opportunity to be known specifically and peripherally by the mostly-NC sorority girls rather than be forgotten during bid sessions. The same goes if she has a high school friend or acquaintance in a UNC sorority already--some sororities end up being town- or high school-specific, with as many as four or even five girls from the same school in the same pledge class. Good recs are important too.

If she has a bad recruitment experience or ends up not participating for whatever reason in NPC life (drops out of rush, no bids, refuses a bid, whatever), it's worth knowing that a lot of Asians go into major- or interest-specific co-ed fraternities...my friend ended up in one and enjoys it immensely.

Good luck to her and to you!
Old 06-24-2010, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by absum View Post
I can tell you that it's not going to be an ideal situation, but it's by no means a lost cause. Not many Asians go through "white" recruitment at UNC and fewer get picked up. I have an Asian friend who rushed as a sophomore at Carolina and only got asked back to one house, one that apparently needed to meet quota badly and had a bad rep. It makes a difference if she was raised "white" or was adopted, or raised as the child of immigrants.

She'll have to try that much harder to impress during rush to offset being older (and only good for three years to a sorority, instead of four) and not white, but it's not hopeless...it's not an anomaly to have a few non-whites in UNC sororities, it's just not as easy for them to get a bid as it is for white girls. Her chances may improve if she's an North Carolina native, which gives her a better opportunity to be known specifically and peripherally by the mostly-NC sorority girls rather than be forgotten during bid sessions. The same goes if she has a high school friend or acquaintance in a UNC sorority already--some sororities end up being town- or high school-specific, with as many as four or even five girls from the same school in the same pledge class. Good recs are important too.

If she has a bad recruitment experience or ends up not participating for whatever reason in NPC life (drops out of rush, no bids, refuses a bid, whatever), it's worth knowing that a lot of Asians go into major- or interest-specific co-ed fraternities...my friend ended up in one and enjoys it immensely.

Good luck to her and to you!
How does one make up/impress for not being white?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
First I thought of all the snarky, witty and/or sarcastic comments I could make, but then I just got sad that people actually THINK like that.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
By being "raised white."

Can we possibly hope that this is volleyball_girl, miss_etiquette, remmie_k . . . ? 'Cause I hate to think she's for real.

Last edited by MysticCat; 06-24-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
By being "raised white."

Can we possibly hope that this is volleyball_girl, miss_etiquette, remmie_k . . . ? 'Cause I hate to think she's for real.
I don't know, is having an Asian friend acceptable for the hoitiest of the toitiest?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I don't know, is having an Asian friend acceptable for the hoitiest of the toitiest?
I thought it was the IT thing right now!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I thought it was the IT thing right now!
Crap, I should do a Stephen Colbert style audition for a new Asian best friend then. I haven't talked to my last Asian best friend in a while

/This comes into play at some point here.