GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,339
2 members and 1,337 guests
Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 10-14-2007, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Not to mention she'd be a risk management nightmare...
... so would Lindsay Lohan
Old 10-14-2007, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

What is a Sorority?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
So if you had to extend a bid to one of 'em, who would it be - Miss Hilton or Princess Margaret?

I don't remember the source of this quote but it went something like..."a sorority is a place where Mick Jagger would be welcome, but his daughter wouldn't!" So my answer to these either/or choices would have to be neither. No class among any of them.

As far as the author, "Marlyn" using the last name Schwartz as a psuedonym, I had to laugh. Who in her right mind would choose that name? I once read that a really bumble-headed reporter met Tony Curtis' father and asked him, "So, what made you change your last name from Curtis to Schwartz?" (Tony Curtis' real name is Bernard Schwartz).

I checked the SDT directory and there were many Schwartz's listed, but no Marlyn's. It could be her married name and she uses her maiden name in the Kappa directory.

Paula M.
Sigma Delta Tau
ΣΔTPatriae Multi Spes Una One Hope of Many People

Old 10-14-2007, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Marlyn Schwartz is not in the Kappa database.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the author is a Theta? I've seen interviews with her and I thought that was mentioned. Too lazy to google it, though.

Never mind. I don't know why I thought that, but I can't find anything to confirm it. Just a figment of my imagination. Please disregard.

Last edited by angelove; 10-15-2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: ETA: I decided not to be lazy and I googled it.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
Why was Kappa Kappa Gamma picked if Kappa was not founded in the South and thus is not usually considered to be a "Southern" sorority?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
I guess it's kind of strange that a northern founded sorority is considered Southern, when the opposite is somewhat the case for DG.
I can't say that Kappa is considered Southern per se, but it's always been my impression that it is very strong in Texas, where Marlyn Schwartz was a columnist. But maybe I just got that from Vanities ("KKG eternally.") and from Texan Kappa friends.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa is HUGE in Texas. At convention (in Orlando) it seemed like there were more Kappas from Texas than even from Florida. And even if they weren't the largest in numbers, they definitely made their presence known. They even have a couple special Texas-specific Kappa songs that the Texas chapters know (they sang them).

When I think of Kappa, I don't think of them necessarily as a southern sorority. They may be relatively stronger in the South simply because those are the schools that tend to have stronger greek life and more competitive rushes.

Who knows why Kappa was chosen, but I have the original book and I will definitely check it tonight to see if I can find a reference to the author's affiliation. It seems weird if she wasn't affiliated with Kappa that she wouldn't make some mention of it on one of the back pages or the dedication page or something.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulam View Post
I don't remember the source of this quote but it went something like..."a sorority is a place where Mick Jagger would be welcome, but his daughter wouldn't!"
Here is the quote from the "Princess Margaret" version:

Anyone can sign up for Rush at Southern schools. The uninitiated have no idea what to expect.

First, it is essential to have letters of recommendations from past members. These letters explain how lovely a girl is, how lovely her family is, how precious her wardrobe is, and how rich her daddy is. Alums will write anything they deem necessary to get their favorite rushees into the chapter.

One Georgia Chi Omega recalls back in the seventies that someone wrote a letter giving intimate detail of the house a rushee lived in. The letter pointed out the parents loved to entertain and would always throw great Chi O parties in Atlanta. Family connections to celebrities is a big plus too. If a girl could promise to get Mick Jagger to a sorority dance because he has business dealings with her father, that girl would probably get a Kappa bid. But Mick Jagger's daughter might have a hard time getting in even if her father came to visit every weekend.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

This thread reminds me of an old one in which people were speculating that Britney Spears wanted to attend LSU and pledge Chi O there. *Shudder*!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post
This thread reminds me of an old one in which people were speculating that Britney Spears wanted to attend LSU and pledge Chi O there. *Shudder*!
Well, it is a great chapter! Seeing the girls that I knew from high school pledge Chi O at LSU, I felt the same way.

I'd like to think that Ms. Swartz's choice of Kappa for the title was just a random selection of a group, which like all other NPC groups, has high standards for its members.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 10-15-2007, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

What Would Mick Jagger Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur de Lis View Post
Here is the quote from the "Princess Margaret" version:

Anyone can sign up for Rush at Southern schools. The uninitiated have no idea what to expect.

First, it is essential to have letters of recommendations from past members. These letters explain how lovely a girl is, how lovely her family is, how precious her wardrobe is, and how rich her daddy is. Alums will write anything they deem necessary to get their favorite rushees into the chapter.

One Georgia Chi Omega recalls back in the seventies that someone wrote a letter giving intimate detail of the house a rushee lived in. The letter pointed out the parents loved to entertain and would always throw great Chi O parties in Atlanta. Family connections to celebrities is a big plus too. If a girl could promise to get Mick Jagger to a sorority dance because he has business dealings with her father, that girl would probably get a Kappa bid. But Mick Jagger's daughter might have a hard time getting in even if her father came to visit every weekend.
Thank you, Fleur de Lis, for validating the quote about Mick Jagger and his daughter. I'll have to buy that book!

Paula M.
Sigma Delta Tau
ΣΔT
Patriae Multi Spes Una One Hope of Many People
Old 10-15-2007, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post

Many moons ago, Britney Spears was "good" girl Mouseketeer, remember.

I am willing to bet HAD she gone to school *anywhere* and been allowed to GROW up *out of the spotlit plasticine world she had been in* with expectations of proper behavior, she would not be the mess she is now.

I imagine she might have been a wonderful ABC or XYZ. How sad to have been robbed of what could have been, if only.

Last edited by sageofages; 10-15-2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: fixing a typo ;)
Old 10-15-2007, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageofages View Post
Many moons ago, Britney Spears was "good" girl Mouseketeer, remember.

I am willing to be HAD she gone to school *anywhere* and been allowed to GROW up *out of the spotlit plasticine world she had been in* with expectations of proper behavior, she would not be the mess she is now.

I imagine she might have been a wonderful ABC or XYZ. How sad to have been robbed of what could have been, if only.
I was thinking the same thing! If she had gone to college and joined a sorority, there would have been people looking out for her and not her paycheck. They could have spotted the warning signs and gotten her the help she obviously needs.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:41 PM

Mouseketeer certainly doesn't = good girl, nor has it ever - read some of the accounts by the original Mousketeers from the 1950s of what they were doing offstage. Some of them came out OK, but some of them definitely not.

Honestly, if Britney hadn't been famous, I think she would be in the same situation she is now - just with less money.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:17 PM

KKG has always seemed Southern to me because of the Fleur de Lis. (Sorry about the rhyming!)

I always think of the South or specifically New Orleans when I see a Fleur de Lis.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
KKG has always seemed Southern to me because of the Fleur de Lis. (Sorry about the rhyming!)

I always think of the South or specifically New Orleans when I see a Fleur de Lis.
The Fleur de Lis is very New Orleans-ish, but that's because New Orleans is French, and so is the Fleur de Lis. Doesn't make the Fleur any less southern, just thought I'd throw that out there