GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,231
4 members and 1,227 guests
lauralaylin, naraht, PGD-GRAD, TLLK

Old 11-04-2003, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Question honest question

This is a thread for not making fun of people or putting others down. We're all ignorance. This is a thread where if you have questions about other cultures, etc, ask them. Rules for thread: If you're asking a question, try to do so in a way that won't offend people. Rule 2: If some one asks a questions, don't make fun of them. Give them the benefit of the doubt, because if we start calling everyone out this will turn into a flame war and its supposed to be about free, open discusion. This can only happen if we're all respectful. So here is my question for anyone about Jewish Kosher Laws. You can't eat meat with milk right? I get that part, but would it be okay to eat eggs at the same time as chicken?
Old 11-04-2003, 12:31 PM

I should know the answer to this but I don't.

I know that people who eat kosher cannot eat any type of shellfish. That includes clam and shrimp.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Banned

Re: honest question

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
So here is my question for anyone about Jewish Kosher Laws. You can't eat meat with milk right? I get that part, but would it be okay to eat eggs at the same time as chicken?
Yes it would be. You can also eat eggs with milk.

-Rudey
Old 11-04-2003, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought the rule was not a ban on a specific product (with noted exception of pork and shellfish) but that you werent supposed to eat the product of an animal with the flesh of that animal. For example, no cheeseburgers.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:43 PM

I think it's this but I could be wrong (I'm a bad Jew...I never went to Hebrew school):

hamburger = cow/mother
cheese = milk/calf's food

You're not supposed to eat the mother with the baby's food. I might be completely wrong...Rudey correct me if I am.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
I think it's this but I could be wrong (I'm a bad Jew...I never went to Hebrew school):

hamburger = cow/mother
cheese = milk/calf's food

You're not supposed to eat the mother with the baby's food. I might be completely wrong...Rudey correct me if I am.
That's part of it but honestly it's not that simple. All the laws of kashrut have had hundreds of years of thought and reflection on them by people smarter than the average bear and can't be broken down into a one line equation like that. A lot of the laws have a lot to do with ritual purity more than anything else.

-Rudey
Old 11-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Imthachamp
i just slayed a pig and i am gonna eat it to the muslim culture. i love those guys.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Eggs are one of things considered "wild cards", or can be served with meat or dairy. I'm not Jewish, so I don't know all the details, but being geriatrics, I get to know some of this stuff!
Old 11-04-2003, 01:16 PM

The original meat/milk rule was not to seethe a kid in its mother's milk. The idea is that it's cruel to the mother animal - not only are you turning her baby into dinner, you're also taking the milk intended for that baby.

Over the centuries, it's gotten expanded. First it was extended to other animals, like cattle. Then, since different meats were often stored together, it became forbidden to eat one type of meat with another type of milk - just in case you mixed them up. The prohibition was also extended to fowl, even though fowl don't produce milk. (Apparently the ancient rabbis thought the people were too stupid to tell the difference between a chicken and a cow. )

These days, of course, different types of meat are generally kept separated. You even have separate meat herds and dairy herds for cattle, and (I believe) separate groups of chickens intended for egg production vs. slaughter for food. (I'm referring to big commercial farms here, not small family farms.)

Chicken and eggs is ok because you're not eating the baby along with nourishment the mother produces for the baby. (a) there's no embryo in the egg, (b) chickens don't produce an equivalent to milk, unless you count the egg yolk.

Eggs and dairy is ok because chickens don't produce milk, so you're definitely not having the baby with the mother's milk.

I hope this makes sense...
Old 11-04-2003, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
Eggs are one of things considered "wild cards", or can be served with meat or dairy. I'm not Jewish, so I don't know all the details, but being geriatrics, I get to know some of this stuff!
The term is "pareve" - neither meat nor dairy.

Fruits and veggies, fish, and baked goods made without using dairy products (e.g. challah bread) are other pareve items.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
The term is "pareve" - neither meat nor dairy.

Fruits and veggies, fish, and baked goods made without using dairy products (e.g. challah bread) are other pareve items.
I was going to say pareve! But I wasn't sure if that was just for Passover or not.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
I was going to say pareve! But I wasn't sure if that was just for Passover or not.
No, bread and baked goods that are acceptable to eat during Passover will be marked "kosher for Passover". So, for instance, plain matzo will be both pareve and kosher for Passover.

They're also imprinted with the year - you're not supposed to eat last year's leftover matzo.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Banned

I honestly don't want to argue about this, but that's not totally true...barely even the tip of the iceberg. That's why you think the rabbis were stupid when in fact you don't know enough about it. It's very patronizing for you to just roll your eyes and cast anyone as stupid.

-Rudey

Quote:
The original meat/milk rule was not to seethe a kid in its mother's milk. The idea is that it's cruel to the mother animal - not only are you turning her baby into dinner, you're also taking the milk intended for that baby.

Over the centuries, it's gotten expanded. First it was extended to other animals, like cattle. Then, since different meats were often stored together, it became forbidden to eat one type of meat with another type of milk - just in case you mixed them up. The prohibition was also extended to fowl, even though fowl don't produce milk. (Apparently the ancient rabbis thought the people were too stupid to tell the difference between a chicken and a cow. )

These days, of course, different types of meat are generally kept separated. You even have separate meat herds and dairy herds for cattle, and (I believe) separate groups of chickens intended for egg production vs. slaughter for food. (I'm referring to big commercial farms here, not small family farms.)

Chicken and eggs is ok because you're not eating the baby along with nourishment the mother produces for the baby. (a) there's no embryo in the egg, (b) chickens don't produce an equivalent to milk, unless you count the egg yolk.

Eggs and dairy is ok because chickens don't produce milk, so you're definitely not having the baby with the mother's milk.

I hope this makes sense...
Old 11-04-2003, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
It's very patronizing for you to just roll your eyes and cast anyone as stupid.
Look who's talking.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Look who's talking.
What are you talking about? Because you couldn't respond you had to say that? How pathetic. If I tell someone they're stupid they are - they don't know what they're talking about and can't respond to what I say.

-Rudey
--Stupid