GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,607
1 members and 1,606 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

We reminded her that it only takes one and we discussed over break how brutal the process can be. She seems to be in good spirits but we will see after this round. If she carries all 5 through to the next round then I think that will help her feel better, assuming she can move on. Of the 5 on her list the three that she had ranked the highest are all this afternoon.

In a way that is lucky as it gives her time to relax and get over the fact she was cut so heavily. She does have an open mind and we will see if her feelings change about the one chapter after tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Heard from my daughter this morning. She got cut from some of her favorites, but is happy with her list. Hoping they can all avoid frostbite in this process!

BBH, sending positive vibes your way. I read a bunch of posts on Sororitygirl101.com last night and I am also of the view that it only takes one. Hopefully they can make connections with girls who will become their lifelong friends.

Is there any way to know how many girls are in the process?
Old 01-06-2018, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

<<Is there any way to know how many girls are in the process?>>

The only people who have access to those numbers are the recruitment teams from the chapters and Panhellenic. It really doesn't matter how many women are left in the process since IU does not utilize the quota/total portion of RFM. The number of women left does not affect the number of women invited back to each chapter.

I will say that I have heard from friends who have relatives in the process and they gave me 7-16 as the number of invitations today for their PMNs.

I know it's hard being on the other side and watching loved ones go through the process, keep in mind that it's not a perfect process and it never will be. There are so many factors that go into making the decisions for the chapter members (GPA, the luck of the draw, conversation, time of day, etc.) and for the PNMs (time of day, pre-existing expectations, tent talk, the cold and the toll it takes on you, etc). It's hard not to take it personally when a chapter doesn't invite a PNM back, but sometimes the women in the chapter just see the PNM being a better fit for another chapter than theirs. That can also be a positive thing, maybe the PNM is really into sports and their chapter isn't into intramurals or doesn't have a bike team and the PNM really wouldn't enjoy that chapter. Being released isn't always a negative thing. It can give PNMs a chance to better get to know a chapter in which they might be better suited and give the PNM a chance to make a genuine connection elsewhere. As I have said many times and will keep saying, every chapter at IU has something valuable to offer!!

Last edited by IndianaSigKap; 01-06-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter got back 8. She was a little down this morning because a few houses she got cut from she liked. She was also happy with what she has left. So a mixed bag. I think it's just as hard for the moms as the girls. Thankful she has my older daughter to talk to since she's been through IU recruitment and understands the emotions. Sending positive vibes to everyone!
Old 01-06-2018, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I swear, I'm not a crazy helicopter mom. It is just so hard when you have to watch your child go through this process! I agree, it's not perfect, but at least it is better than it was in the past.

Sending good vibes and prayers out to all PNMs and their families!
Old 01-06-2018, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaPiPhi View Post
I swear, I'm not a crazy helicopter mom. It is just so hard when you have to watch your child go through this process! I agree, it's not perfect, but at least it is better than it was in the past.

Sending good vibes and prayers out to all PNMs and their families!
Lol I should probably make that disclaimer as well. I think it's just harder being so far away.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, not helicoptering either. Haven't really offered up much unless she specifically asked for advice. I've stayed out of the process and her decision to even go through rush. I'm a big believer that things happen for a reason and if it was meant to be that she find a home then it will happen. If it doesn't, then it wasn't meant to be. You can't really do more than try your best and that is what she is doing.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

It's cold out there at IU this week!!! What a hard week for PMN's out there braving the cold!!! Are they still required to walk/run or take a bus (often full) to get between houses on time? Yikes!! Recruitment week at IU is IMO harder than pledge weeks!

Last edited by ivyrose2; 01-06-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Are there chapters who are still doing “bed rush”?
Old 01-06-2018, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyrose2 View Post
It's cold out there at IU this week!!! What a hard week for PMN's out there braving the cold!!! Are they still required to walk/run or take a bus (often full) to get between houses on time? Yikes!! Recruitment week at IU is IMO harder than pledge weeks!
Yes, that is my understanding that they must take the bus or walk. Yikes, so cold to walk!
Old 01-06-2018, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Are there chapters who are still doing “bed rush”?
Do you mean the 'bed quota?' I don't think so. I hope not...
Old 01-06-2018, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

My goddaughter seemed to have a great attitude after the first round, texting that she had fun at every single chapter and didn't "hate" any of them, although she didn't really see herself fitting in at a couple of them. She got 16 invites back for this weekend, including 9 or 10 she "really likes." (She truly can see herself fitting in at several chapters and is keeping a very open mind.) She texted me after today's parties and said she particularly enjoyed the last party she went to but that all of them today had been fun and she found the sisters "easy to talk to" at every single stop. I told her to keep her good attitude, keep looking at it as a fun process, be relaxed and be herself. I hope she has another good day tomorrow. (And, I texted her mom to see if mama had enough wine to last the next 11 days...Ha!)
Old 01-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Good news for your goddaughter BUDelta.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

It is SO hard as a mom!!! Good luck to your wonderful girls and hang in there!!!
Old 01-06-2018, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Good news for your goddaughter BUDelta.
Thanks! She's a pretty level-headed, fun, congenial and kind girl, so I hope she finds the perfect spot that is the best fit for her. She did finish the first semester with a 4.0, so that's a plus for her.