GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,036
1 members and 1,035 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 03-28-2014, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Both very fair points. In my mind, I was thinking more of a hourly employee that could probably walk across the street to Michaels and get a job fairly easily. It definitely is much deeper than that.
Which is feasible IF there is a Michaels in the area and IF Michaels is hiring for comparable wages and hours.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
What about a government that's able to force its views on its citizens? That sees more ominous than any employer doing that.
I completely agree, which is why I oppose all of the laws that try to tell a woman what she can and cannot do with her body or who two consenting adults are allowed to marry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Thanks for your condescending comment. Today's newest polling data shows that 26% of Americans support the ACA. There have been plenty of laws in our country's past that were wrong, discriminatory, etc. Just because something is a law doesn't mean it isn't oppressive.
This varies greatly by the poll, apparently. The one released by the Kaiser Foundation survey said this (posted in the last 10 hours):

Almost half of those surveyed (49%) said they wanted Congress to "keep the law in place and work to improve it." Another 10% said Congress should simply leave the law as is.
By contrast, about 3 in 10 either wanted the law repealed outright (18%) or repealed and replaced with a Republican alternative (11%).

Major provisions of the law are quite popular, including subsidies to help people buy insurance, expansion of Medicaid, the guarantee that people can’t be denied coverage because of pre-existing medical problems and the rule eliminating out-of-pocket costs for preventive care, Kaiser found. But 40% to 50% of Americans do not know that the law includes each of those provisions.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...#ixzz2xIZjz5Xq

I do not think companies should be able to impose their beliefs on their employees. I took the "Leave" comment to mean as a consumer or stock holder and I have chosen that route with Hobby Lobby. I will never step foot in that store. A brand new one opened here in the past few years and I simply will not shop there.

The easy answer to all of it is to take health insurance out of the hands of the employer. Easy peasy. Employers can give employees vouchers for the equivalent of what they spend and employees can go to the exchange and buy what they need- not what their employer wants to pay for. It is absolutely ludicrous that your employer gets to choose what kind of health insurance you can get. If you want an HMO, you should be able to get the one you want. If you want a PPO, you should be able to get a PPO. If you want a high deductible plan with an HSA, then you should be able to get that. Why in the world should your employer determine what you get to have? It's absurd.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
You missed the capital "T" in Thank you, dear ...
OK. Thanks for pulling down my pants. Oh, and welcome back. Where the hell you been?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-28-2014, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not that easy. I am a medical professional who worked for a for profit hospital from many years. A Catholic hospital purchased us and has taken our reproductive freedom away from us. Yes, we could go look for a new employer but it's not that easy in a smaller town and forfeiting years of service, etc.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

This is one of a number of moves Hobby Lobby has made that I consider to be asinine. They lost my business when they refused to stock Hanukkah items.

Let their workers vote with their feet. I'll vote with my wallet.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

A worker shouldn't HAVE to vote with her feet. If they employ people in the US they should follow the rules of the land. And the rule of the land is you can't cram your religious viewpoint down the throat of your employees. I think (hope, pray) that the supreme court learned their lesson with Corporations are People and will vote the correct way on this one, which will be cause to re-address Citizens United and make that asinine ruling go away. And, by the way, why doesn't asinine have 2 s'es.

But back to my initial thought, while the workers shouldn't have to vote with her feet, the consumer certainly can. I haven't bought fabric in a dog's age, but I will definitely keep this in mind when in need of craft items of any sort. You can't get on your soap box over every friggin issue that comes up, but when a corporation takes their political viewpoint all the way to the top, yes, that is a good time to vote with my wallet.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And, by the way, why doesn't asinine have 2 s'es.
I mistakenly spelled it that way first, but I got spell checked. And I agree, the people working at Hobby Lobby probably don't have tons of options, and shouldn't have to suck it up because their employer wants to make a statement.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Then again, as far as I'm concerned so is this---they are just using a different avenue to discriminate.
Amen
Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDIMom,GreekDot View Post
It's not that easy. I am a medical professional who worked for a for profit hospital from many years. A Catholic hospital purchased us and has taken our reproductive freedom away from us. Yes, we could go look for a new employer but it's not that easy in a smaller town and forfeiting years of service, etc.
This is the situation I was thinking of where the employer denying insurance paying for BC (NOT denying BC, as many people are incorrectly saying) would be truly disastrous and unfair. Let's be honest, if your ass has been working at Hobby Lobby for 25 years, you probably are past the point in life where you need birth control.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Banned

Yeah they can't deny BC (I assume they couldn't even if they wanted to). They are making sure BC remains the financial responsibility of employees.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This is the situation I was thinking of where the employer denying insurance paying for BC (NOT denying BC, as many people are incorrectly saying) would be truly disastrous and unfair. Let's be honest, if your ass has been working at Hobby Lobby for 25 years, you probably are past the point in life where you need birth control.
Except for medical conditions that require you to take BC, or it you have a dependent who wants to take BC maybe for a medical condition.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I think GDI makes a valid point in two ways. For the older worker, the precedent of denying a form of coverage could lead to denial of other coverages on the premise of violating religious convictions. But more to GDI's point, the younger workers who are in the process of earning those years of service face the dilemma of losing those years or of not having other employment options (small town) so as to be able to vote with their feet. Personally, I sense a bit of misogyny in some of these claims of violations of religious principles.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

The government has made a determination that it is good for society for birth control to be available with zero co-pay. This is a rare government action that is actually based on empirical evidence -- people use birth control more reliably, and use more effective forms, when this policy is in place. A corporation shouldn't be able to undermine that policy where its employees are concerned.

I agree that getting rid of employer involvement in health care altogether is the best policy, but that wasn't politically feasible.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Hobby Lobby sets more people off on this topic than any other. I was watching this thread and few others on another message board I frequent that were about this same topic. It is interesting to see how many people comment on it. I'm not sure if it is because people really care about the issue or if Hobby Lobby has a big following. Weren't there other companies involved with the lawsuit?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 03-29-2014, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Conastoga Wood. Not many woman frequent their stores

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!