GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,847
1 members and 1,846 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-07-2014, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
So I think it's time to have a chat about a problem a lot of young people have about making commitments in life, and that's to boyfriends, jobs, homes, and yes, sororities. There is no perfect match. While yes, there are chapters that are so much weaker than the others that you may legitimately choose to not be Greek as opposed to accept their friendship. But 3? I don't buy it. And every school doesn't have a chapter that is the level of weak that I am referencing. I'm talking the "on the verge of failing" chapter, not the house that omg doesn't have a single cheerleader in it.

I think there is a disconnect between who you wish you were and who you actually are. You wish you were the girl who fit right in with those girls, the tall perfect blondes who are perfect in every possible way. And you had a great time at their houses! Well guess what, those girls are GREAT at rush. Their job is to make every girl feel welcome and they do it in spades. So the mere mortal girls who are great but not ready for cover model status seem positively bland in comparison? Yeah, they suck. But do they?

Now is the time for you to have a little sit down with yourself and think about, in the real life right now, who you really are. What do you look like relative to the various chapters, what is your social status, how about your ability to pick up on social cues? You had 3 chapters for preference, when many MANY girls in the RFM era don't have that luxury. Because, let's be honest, you thought you were too good for them. We shouldn't judge you, but you had no hesitation as judging 3, count em 3 chapters full of women as not good enough for you. So what makes you so great? Let me guess, not that much.

And let's also return back to the ultimate purpose for sorority rush. It's to make friends. So there were 3 chapters of women who wanted to be your friend, and you don't want to be theirs back. That means the flaw is in YOU, not them.

Now, let's talk about what to do about it. After you've had the above mentioned sit down with yourself and figured out who you REALLY are and where you might actually fit, then you need to find out which chapters are likely to hold informal rush. And then look for where those lines intersect. Possibly one of those chapters that happens to be in that intersection is not at total right now. They might be looking to add members still this fall and you could be living the dream within a month. But first you need to put on your big girl pants and get over yourself and figure out what you are REALLY looking for in a sorority home.

So well stated. This is so on point and, like others have said, should be required reading from PNMs.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Aaawww, thanks. I like to think I can get it right from time to time
Old 09-07-2014, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
YUP.

I know that we argue a lot about PNMs saying that they didn't fit with A chapter, but I think we all pretty much feel that PNMs shouldn't be coming around saying they didn't fit with THREE chapters.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
YUP.

I know that we argue a lot about PNMs saying that they didn't fit with A chapter, but I think we all pretty much feel that PNMs shouldn't be coming around saying they didn't fit with THREE chapters.
Yupp. I wish there was a more effective way to showcase the panhellenic unity that truly runs through all the houses on campus. Recruitment is (understandably) very individual chapter focused. Meanwhile in fantasy land first round could be anonymous, with PNMS not knowing what chapter they were talking to or something.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

No worries, y'all, this is no doubt a troll. Good points,though!
Old 09-10-2014, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

The OP seems like a troll to me, but regardless, I so agree with DubaiSis, especially when it comes to recruitment.

I myself thought I wanted to be in the most "popular" sorority, and I got pretty close to being in it (I was invited to their pref and had stars in my eyes), but instead I received a bid to Tri Sigma, a house that wasn't really popular at all at the time I joined, and it turns out that my future sisters knew more about me than I thought I did...

I fit in more with them than I would ever have at the "popular" chapter. It's an amazing chapter, don't get me wrong, but it just wasn't me.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
So I think it's time to have a chat about a problem a lot of young people have about making commitments in life, and that's to boyfriends, jobs, homes, and yes, sororities. There is no perfect match. While yes, there are chapters that are so much weaker than the others that you may legitimately choose to not be Greek as opposed to accept their friendship. But 3? I don't buy it. And every school doesn't have a chapter that is the level of weak that I am referencing. I'm talking the "on the verge of failing" chapter, not the house that omg doesn't have a single cheerleader in it.

I think there is a disconnect between who you wish you were and who you actually are. You wish you were the girl who fit right in with those girls, the tall perfect blondes who are perfect in every possible way. And you had a great time at their houses! Well guess what, those girls are GREAT at rush. Their job is to make every girl feel welcome and they do it in spades. So the mere mortal girls who are great but not ready for cover model status seem positively bland in comparison? Yeah, they suck. But do they?

Now is the time for you to have a little sit down with yourself and think about, in the real life right now, who you really are. What do you look like relative to the various chapters, what is your social status, how about your ability to pick up on social cues? You had 3 chapters for preference, when many MANY girls in the RFM era don't have that luxury. Because, let's be honest, you thought you were too good for them. We shouldn't judge you, but you had no hesitation as judging 3, count em 3 chapters full of women as not good enough for you. So what makes you so great? Let me guess, not that much.

And let's also return back to the ultimate purpose for sorority rush. It's to make friends. So there were 3 chapters of women who wanted to be your friend, and you don't want to be theirs back. That means the flaw is in YOU, not them.

Now, let's talk about what to do about it. After you've had the above mentioned sit down with yourself and figured out who you REALLY are and where you might actually fit, then you need to find out which chapters are likely to hold informal rush. And then look for where those lines intersect. Possibly one of those chapters that happens to be in that intersection is not at total right now. They might be looking to add members still this fall and you could be living the dream within a month. But first you need to put on your big girl pants and get over yourself and figure out what you are REALLY looking for in a sorority home.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot