GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,789
0 members and 1,789 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 09:58 PM

Re: Re: just to answer a few questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ex greek

So then what point does gamma chi have that hasn't already existed on gc since 1999?
Please read my earlier post.

My hope is that Gamma Chi will be a combination of the openness, honesty, and freedom to share ideas and beliefs that has always existed within GreekChat, with some of the structure of a GLO, including formal new member and initiation ceremonies and certain requirements for initiation.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

i am sorry that there is all of this tension. that was certainly NOT my intent in that first reply. i think it is fair that everyone can just agree to disagree, and leave it at that. they are just different opinions.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NoShame_Gamma
So Did I

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum

3. I envisioned Gamma Chi not so much as something you'd have to apply for, be voted into, etc. - but as a fun and *open* way to bring this community closer together. To have a way to recognize fellow GreekChatters (via pins, letters, etc) if you happen to bump into someone on the street. To encourage people to get out and serve their community. To foster inter-greek relations. (To give us an excuse to spend money on new letters. ) Instead, we seem to have a division in this community now, and that bothers me. I think we've all gotten into the wrong mindset. Most, if not all, GLO's are exclusive organizations; you have to rush, be voted in, and complete a period of provisional membership before becoming full members. GreekChat, however, is not an exclusive organization. Anyone can sign up - it takes about 30 seconds. Gamma Chi, as an offshoot of GreekChat, has to reflect that openness (though it should take longer than 30 seconds to join - hence the new member period).

My thoughts exactly!
Old 05-05-2002, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
To all those who think I'm being pissy, sorry, maybe I am. But I did suggest that we move Gamma Chi to its forum. I even started one somewhere sles for all those interested to join. But it never really worked out that way. Oh well, what can I do.
No one is saying you can't have an opinion, but it seems that some people are telling us we are wasting our time. Well those that are interested don't believe it's a waste of time. I'm sure we've all heard that before. I heard that from my friends when I told them I was pledging Pi Beta Phi, but I didn't feel that way, so why should this be any different. Is it because it's not an official organization? It may never be, it may one day. No one knows for sure. Gamma Chi is still in its infancy. Those involved would like to see it grow into something bigger, but we're just taking it one step at a time.
One of you said that there were 2913 or something like that threads. Actually there are 11. There may be thousdands of messages, but you can skip over the threads that have anything to do with Gamma Chi if you're not interested. Gamma Chi threads let you know their about Gamma Chi except for the thread called "An Idea".
We're trying to get a forum of our own, so don't worry we'll be out of your hair in no time.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
Ok...I couldnt resist!

The diferency between Gamma Chi and Greek Chat for ME was this. Greek Chat was just a place where we can post messages and responde to others here....that's where it ends.

Gamma Chi picks it up from there and modivates people interested in it to do something about the negativity shown on Greek Chat..I mean lets face it...it occurs. There is always a thread about "which sorority is the best" or "National vs. Locals". These things only continue the problem by causing more negativity and stress on each ohter and only widens the gap between us! And Greek Chat alone does nothing to combat that! Gamma Chi unites us in a way much father than just posting.

I dont think the PAY ATTENTION was meant to slap anyone in the face...I think it was typed that why only to stress that there was new information on the Membership stuff.

If you dont see the point. Dont return. But there must be something bringing you back if you are reading the posts and posting yourself.

Whatever you want to THINK is fine! But I dont bash your org so dont bash mine. If you dont want to be a part of it dont read the posts....skip them!

I hope this has helped some understand things a little better. These are only my opinions though. But GX must be good for something because it has united some in ways I dont think Greek Chat ever could????

Thanks for hearing me out
Old 05-06-2002, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I quit

I quit, this is just too unorganized I've already removed myself from the Gamma Chi Yahoo Membership Commitee and the MSN Community. sorry everyone, just too stressful
Old 05-06-2002, 01:25 AM
UMgirl

This Has Gone Too Far, So Heres The Deal...

As I said here is the deal

This thread along with Alpha List For Gamma Chi and Gamma Chi Membership Requiremnts will be deleted. I don't know when John is going to get the chance to do it, but they will be deleted. I already PMed him and asked him to, because it wouldn't allow me to using the GCMembership name otherwise they'd be history by now.
What I will do for the remaining members on the membership committee is post ONE thread using my username, titled General Info for Gamma Chi, which will have the requirements, application (if mem still wants to use it) and alpha list as my last duty one membership.
That's right I resign from Gamma Chi. I'm done.
I'll be the first to admitt that its disorganized. But not in a bad way. Its just that you have a lot of people that want to help and be part of something they believe is great, with a set goal, but everyone's going with it here and there instead of all going in one direction and not really communicating. I still believe in GX and what everyone wants it to be and hope that one day it will go to the scale we planned for it. However, I think it would have to start over from scratch at the moment to go there.
But the disorganization is not why I am quitting (for the time being maybe) Gamma Chi
This thread and other stuff that happens on GC is why. If Gamma Chi is going to start splitting GC (why it is I still have no clue) and people are going to start taking stuff out of context, than I'd rather not take part. Besides that between work and trying to get on the VST for my org. and joing the Alum Panhel, I don't think Ill have time. But feel more than free to throw anything by me if ya want
So, no more apps to moi. I will put in the thread where to send them to. Remember ya got 2 days Good luck with Gamma Chi. If anyone took offense to anything I wrote than I apologize, except for the last post. Again much luck to ya.

UMgirl

*side note* FGC...is it really that deep?
Old 05-06-2002, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Arrow

Wow...you can't even miss a day around here or things get out of hand! I agree with Tonya that unfortunately Gamma Chi has caused a strain on relationships within Greek Chat. I'm still interested in the ideals of Gamma Chi, but not until it under goes some major "tinkering."

Suggestions:
1) Perhaps you can ask John (or whoever takes care of these things) to create a Gamma Chi forum under "Gamma Listings." This would eliminate the wealth of posts in the Greek Life Forum and allow people to find the information easier without having to dig through a seven page post.
2) People on committees, clean out your PM box often! It's very frustrating to PM you and not be able to get through...then people have to post here and say "where is so and so info" for the five hundredth time.
3) Better communication!!! Try to stay in touch with people from other committees and be open to constructive criticism...if everyone gets snippy with each other, this is never going to work.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Agreed & Amen!

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
I think some people here are confusing differing opinions with personal attacks. As posters on Greekchat, everyone has a right to post their opinions on things such as Gamma Chi, whether good or bad. People didn't think it was appropriate to post GX topics under Greek life, and that's their opinion. Let's not get too hung up on different perspectives on something.

It's as much people's rights to post against Gamma Chi as it is the right of people to post in favor of it.

Collin
Old 05-06-2002, 11:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
damasa honestly has the right point of view. Instead of spending so much time organizing new member programs and beta recruitment and committees and rituals, spend that time focused on your own GLO and imagine what a more fantastic place it will be.

I hope greekchat can go back to the pleasant place it was before a lot of this crap started.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

All the drama!! My goodness, ya'll...
Ok, I'm going to have to say it-but I'm quitting, too. Between, nursing school(which is more than enough) working, and personal stuff, I just don't have time. And this just seems like it's getting out of hand-a little disorganized, maybe...I don't know. Sorry you guys-good luck!!
Old 05-06-2002, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

While my personal opinion is that Gamma Chi is a waste of time and quite a stupid concept (sorry but it's what i think) I just wanted to say one thing to all these quitters who used to be so into this gamma chi thing:

Winners never quit and quitters never win.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Oy, I knew I should have read GC over the weekend!

To those folks who think it's unorganized: Well, yes, of course it is! Do you think any organization is ever founded in a neat, organized fashion? Perhaps some of our GLOs were founded neatly and tidily - when they were just two girls keeping a secret, or ten girls, or 7 men, whatever. But we are trying to start something here with the input of a whole lot of people - does anyone really expect it to be easy? You know what they say about committees, and all we are here is committees - we don't even see each other face to face.

To those who think it's elitist: Elitist is thinking some people are better than others, or that some people can't join. Well, guess what! Greek organizations are elitist! We don't just let anyone join! On the contrary, however, Gamma Chi is not elitist. Anyone can join if they're willing to post 50 times or stick around for six months. The only people who can't do this are people who are going to be unexpectedly hit by a bus in the next few minutes.

To those who say "spend time on your own GLO": Well, I hope that we all take this _great_ advice to heart. Let's all quit our offices in IFC or Panhel or Alumnae Panhellenic ... Let's revile those Greeks who helped other Greeks found GLOs. I won't be a Rho Chi, because I could be spending that time helping MY chapter rush. And I sure won't go to that Alumnae Panhellenic Scholarship Auction - not when I could just out raising money for me and MY sorority. I'm sure not going to participate in Derby Days, and let Sigma Chi get the glory for my work. Forget putting together a team for that Phi Mu flag football tournament. I'm even beginning to feel sorry I ever suggested to my younger sister she rush ... I mean, they didn't have AXD on her campus, how could that have possible benefitted me? All it would have done is make some other org stronger.

To those who are already ready to quit: That's your decision, of course. But I think that if we expected everything to be easy and smooth thus far, we were deluding ourselves. We have a lot of different personalities here.

To those who don't like the idea of Gamma Chi: Respectfully, I don't think this message thread is the place for your opinion to be properly posted. I wouldn't go into a Sigma Sigma Sigma thread and say, "Oh, you're a dumb sorority." (Not that I think that, let me assure you.) The place for that opinion was in the original An Idea thread, or in any new thread you wish to start on the topic.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum

To those who don't like the idea of Gamma Chi: Respectfully, I don't think this message thread is the place for your opinion to be properly posted. I wouldn't go into a Sigma Sigma Sigma thread and say, "Oh, you're a dumb sorority." (Not that I think that, let me assure you.) The place for that opinion was in the original An Idea thread, or in any new thread you wish to start on the topic.
Hopefully no one would insult a real fraternity or sorority on a thread about them. But I can see why people have said what they have said here because Gamma Chi wouldn't be concidered a fraternity/sorority. It couldn't even be a local. Unless someone registers the idea for an internet fraternity its nothing but a club.

Maybe people are leaving Gamma Chi because it is not living up to the ideal you guys are talking about. All it is doing is spliting Greek chat into two sides.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

THANK YOU cash78mere! I have been thinking all this time that Gamma Chi was the supidest thing ever (leave it to the AX's, haha). Why the *&%# would I want to join a virtual fraternity when I already belong to a real life one that I love. I personally think that mine's the best (as I hope you all feel about your own) and don't need any other one cause I'm already giving AXO all that I've got. Maybe you all should think about that...
Closed Thread