GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,374
1 members and 1,373 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Whatever HS GPA the college uses to base their admittance on is the one the PH will give to the chapters. The PNMs may show something different on their recruitment application because they usually note the one with all credits. The school where I am currently an adviser reduces the GPA to core credits. But we all know that so it's fine.

And no, the alums aren't expected to know all the PNMs from their hometowns...but they are expected to know someone they trust who knows the PNM. Examples would be if I had a friend who teaches in a certain HS. I would tell my group that I could do recs for that school...because I could call said teacher and ask about the PNM. Just like the PNM networks for get the recs where she has to do it, we alums network to get the information as well.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say recs are probably pretty rare at DePaul and that you should not lose sleep over not having them. Any DePaul alumnae or Chicago ladies correct me if that is off base and recs secretly are important. If you happen to know someone personally who is an alumna of a sorority with a chapter at DePaul, a rec would be a great way to introduce your daughter to the chapter.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM

You can get a grade for cheerleading?

Sorry, I just can't wrap my head around this. Cheerleading is an extracurricular. Why/how would it be graded?

demon15 - here's the application the women have to fill out for rush.

https://secureapp.icsrecruiter.com/I...spx?UID=DEPAUL
Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You can get a grade for cheerleading?

Sorry, I just can't wrap my head around this. Cheerleading is an extracurricular. Why/how would it be graded?

demon15 - here's the application the women have to fill out for rush.

https://secureapp.icsrecruiter.com/I...spx?UID=DEPAUL
It's considered a sport at many places. Much like you'd get a grade in PE or in football, you get a grade in cheerleading. It counts as your athletic/PE requirement.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^Exactly. Daughter's cheer practice was primarily in a class that counted as PE/Leadership credit. And hey, for all the bruises, bumps, and stepped on fingers and toes she endured - she earned that grade more than I did in any PE class.

It wasn't considered a sport at her school though, but it allowed them to still participate in sports and the extracurricular part was all of the games/activities/leadership events after school and evenings she was required to attend.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
It's considered a sport at many places. Much like you'd get a grade in PE or in football, you get a grade in cheerleading. It counts as your athletic/PE requirement.
I get the counting at as a sport, but no schools around here are allowed to use an extracurricular to fill in for their PE requirement. No, i got to do PE/conditioning AND soccer. (The conditioning was good for me, except I had to ignore the football coach/teacher's weight/reps and do my own more female/soccer oriented ones.)
Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I get the counting at as a sport, but no schools around here are allowed to use an extracurricular to fill in for their PE requirement. No, i got to do PE/conditioning AND soccer. (The conditioning was good for me, except I had to ignore the football coach/teacher's weight/reps and do my own more female/soccer oriented ones.)
Exactly. I'm not questioning it as a sport, but we didn't get a grade for football or wrestling or anything else either. You had to do gym class (I can never make myself call it PE), whether you're the triple threat athlete or the couch potato.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Nope, not everywhere...
Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I couldn't tell you all the reasons our district (and as far as I know our state) let them do it (I was glad they did), but it allowed them to do a sport which they would not have been able to do otherwise, so my daughter got to do track and gymnastics in addition to cheerleading. She did dance team the first two years of HS and that was also considered a class, so was debate, drama, band, and various music groups. I guess they would all be considered extracurriculars since they all had after school responsibilities and competitions as well.

I'm not sure how they made a distinction between those extracurriculars and say, wrestling, but I'm guessing part of it had to do with the extra-curriculars that were seasonal as opposed to those that went on throughout the school year (and through part of the summer for some). That's just speculation on my part though.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I kind of feel badly for hijacking away from the DePaul info on this thread, but I just wanted to add that I've always thought it was silly to make athletes who spend several hours after school practicing every day ALSO take a gym class. As a dancer and runner in high school, I certainly didn't feel like I got anything out of gym that I didn't get from those extracurriculars.

Except I did learn to climb a tree, play ice hockey, and walk-to-Dairy-Queen-and-back-totally-unnoticed-by-my-teacher. So, if you consider those important life skills, then I guess it's good they made me take gym.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
I kind of feel badly for hijacking away from the DePaul info on this thread, but I just wanted to add that I've always thought it was silly to make athletes who spend several hours after school practicing every day ALSO take a gym class. As a dancer and runner in high school, I certainly didn't feel like I got anything out of gym that I didn't get from those extracurriculars.

Except I did learn to climb a tree, play ice hockey, and walk-to-Dairy-Queen-and-back-totally-unnoticed-by-my-teacher. So, if you consider those important life skills, then I guess it's good they made me take gym.
Numerous places in the south have Health as a separate class and PE credits can be covered by sports, cheerleading, or marching band. I think this saves on space requirements and money in the long run. I have to admit that because of the instrument I played, I could do 200 push-ups in a set in high school. It might have been different, if I played piccolo.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

With budget cuts being what they are, if giving kids PE credits for sports is in lieu of having no PE at all, I think it's great.

Demon, DePaul is a great school. My niece is now in her senior year there and she's had a great experience. My initial thoughts regarding grades is if they're good enough to get into DePaul, they're good enough to get into a chapter. HOWEVER, if she waits until next year her DePaul grades and activities will be what matters, so she needs to make sure to keep her grades up.

Alpha Xi Delta is beginning the colony process to start a new chapter at DePaul very soon. I believe it starts for them immediately after formal rush ends. The process of being a colony, or charter member is a bit different than at a long standing chapter, but DePaul's Greek system is growing so fast, it seems the new kids on the block are accepted with open arms. In any case, who Alpha Xi Delta is and what the process is will be fully explained to her, so no worries there. I have MANY Chicago A Xi D alumnae friends who are REALLY excited about this colony and their leadership is going to be top notch.

There's a great thread here about why Moms spend time on GC. I think you should read it and it will probably help you understand the process better. Feel free to ask any questions, but be very careful to keep your daughter's real life anonymous. Some overly zealous Mom's over-share because they think this site is so big nobody could possibly figure out the tall redhead from Detroit who was a cheerleader and speaks 5 languages. And it can hurt in real life.

Do recommend she go through the process, at least just to see what it's like, and do suggest she stay with it, even if she gets cut by a few chapters she initially has her heart set on. DePaul's Greek Life is going places and I think it's going to be fun to be part of over the next several years!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Whether she rushes or not, I just don't want her to have any regrets. That is really why I'm here...if she calls and is baffled by something on the application or whatever, I don't want to be entirely ignorant.

Of couse, I made the mistake of reading a part of the "worst hazing" thread, and I just hope that D has the self respect to never let herself be abused.

At our HS, traditional "extracurriculars" are not "extra" at all. Almost every sport, marching band, cheer and drill team are taken as a class. So they get a grade. I am aware that colleges have a lot of different approaches to GPA...backing out the weighting, only counting "core" or academic classes, etc.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 PM

Yeah, sorry I derailed things. I tried to look farther into the application, but I needed a student number which I of course don't have. If you have any more questions just bump the thread!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I tried to look farther into the application, but I needed a student number which I of course don't have.
LOL, I went onto the application yesterday. It let me get all the way to the end by just putting an "x" in every blank, except the state and the GPA (where, of course, my imaginary girl from Louisiana had a 4.0.)