GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,455
0 members and 1,455 guests
No Members online

Old 05-18-2008, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Sophmore Reputations...

hey everyone! I am new to GC but all the advice here has really helped but i still have some concerns!

1) I am going to be a sophmore rushing and my freshman year I had a lot of friends in fraternities, so i would hang out with them through out the year. Obviously i was seen out a lot by sororities with the fraternity brothers, does this look bad?

2) Does a 3.4 impress?

3) Are all sorority sisters of a house present at rush?

4) I really didnt participate, am i doomed?!

this is all for now but im sure i have plenty more unanswered questions! thanks!!!

Last edited by KCsunshinec44; 05-18-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: one more thing?!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-18-2008, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

It all depends

A lot of things depend on what school you attend. I know mine accepts sophomores with open arms, and to register for recruitment you need at least a 3.0, so a 3.4 is great! And not all women are involved, some have internships and things like that where they are excused, but most women are present during recruitment!

As for seeing girls when you're out and hanging out with fraternity boys- if they've seen you dancing on tables and remember your face thats probably not good! Otherwise you should be fine, mostly everyone goes out, the sorority girls were out too when they saw you!

Overall I think if you are yourself and open-minded during recruitment then you will have nothing to worry about. Being yourself is really the best advice I can give, because everything else is just what looks good on paper, its the girl inside that counts!

Last edited by ilovemysorority; 05-18-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:07 PM

As far as the fraternity guy issue, generally whether it "looks bad" depends on what you were doing. If you were just hanging out and maybe having a drink or 2, but were really low key and just hanging with your friends, chances are good that no one noticed you at all.

On the other hand, if you were totally wasted, dancing on the bar, cursing at people, having confrontations with sorority members, hooking up with tons of guys or making a scene, sorority members will take notice of that.

Your GPA is a good one, definitely not one that would get you cut. But it's probably not the highest, most impressive GPA in recruitment.

Generally all sisters are present during rush (unless excused for some reason like class). Just curious -there a reason you're asking that? Like, is there someone you don't want to see?

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-21-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

no i have friends in some and would love to see them!

Last edited by KCsunshinec44; 05-18-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

the best thing to say since you don't have much participation is "I wasn't very involved last year and that is one of the many reasons I am going through recruitment, I think joining a sorority is an excellent way to get more involved on campus and with philanthropies, I know that (insert sorority) is very active in (insert organization, community service, philanthropy) can you tell me more about it?"
Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemysorority View Post
the best thing to say since you don't have much participation is "I wasn't very involved last year and that is one of the many reasons I am going through recruitment, I think joining a sorority is an excellent way to get more involved on campus and with philanthropies, I know that (insert sorority) is very active in (insert organization, community service, philanthropy) can you tell me more about it?"
Good answer!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

You can also express interest in taking leadership roles in the sorority (that is, if you are interested). IMO, all else equal, I'd prefer a PNM who has less experience and more enthusiasm about committing to and participating actively in the sorority than a PNM with an impressive "resume" only to be "just" a sister.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I rushed as a Sophomore at Auburn University and I am glad I did! Some sororities are more open to Sophomores than others, but you just have to take everything in stride. If you go in it realizing that some may cut you simply for that, then you'll be fine. When I rushed, I tried to use my being a sophomore to an advantage. Since I had observed Greek Life on campus and made Greek friends one year before rushing, I was able to truly say that I wanted to be Greek and enjoy the sisterhood of a sorority. Many sororities found that impressive and as a sign of maturity.

Above all else though, just be yourself. If they love you, they love you, if they don't, they don't. You want to be in a sorority that embraces who you are completely, including what year you are.

I wish you the best of luck!