GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,460
1 members and 1,459 guests
atylerlttleoz15

Old 07-15-2003, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't mean to be dismissive if starting a sorority is this girl's legitimate goal, but I have run into this Cristina girl a number of times on livejournal.com and she's done nothing but try to start drama. She's been extremely rude to a handful of the people on my lj friends list and tried to create drama in my journal once, too. This was a while ago and she may have legitimately changed since then . . . but maybe not. In other words, I wouldn't get too worked up about anything she's saying since I'm pretty sure she's just out here to cause trouble, anyway.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-15-2003, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to meridionaleDG
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
I've been reading through all these threads regarding SKEPi, and I had to add my comments. I don't know what cristinasmile's situation is, but it's obvious that she's confused. That's not such a bad thing, and we're here to help, right? I must admit, even though there are three Greeks in my immediate family, I didn't know jack diddly about how sororities operated when I rushed. And for about a year after I joined one, I was still learning. Some of us are a little slower on the uptake than others, I guess! So my point is, try to be understanding...believe me, I know it's verrrrry easy to get frustrated, but I think we should just calm down and explain it however many times we need to in order to get the message through.
You're right. Thank goodness for copy and paste I guess.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
I don't mean to be dismissive if starting a sorority is this girl's legitimate goal, but I have run into this Cristina girl a number of times on livejournal.com and she's done nothing but try to start drama. She's been extremely rude to a handful of the people on my lj friends list and tried to create drama in my journal once, too. This was a while ago and she may have legitimately changed since then . . . but maybe not. In other words, I wouldn't get too worked up about anything she's saying since I'm pretty sure she's just out here to cause trouble, anyway.
Apparently you don't know me but you think you do, from what you believe to know.

I am not rude. I don't know who you are and I am not rude or mean towards you. I simply came to this site because I am interested in starting a womens social group, and I was told I could get some help here.

That's all.

Go bark up someone else's tree because I don't deserve to be bashed.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
Like I've said before, I am now creating a women's group. I'd like to call it a Greek name, however right now it's a woman's group not a sorority. But in the future, maybe it would become one.
If you use a greek name, you will be a greek letter organization. Since you are limiting it to women, you will be referred to as a sorority. So if you create the group, actually get members, you will be a local sorority.

Once you are an established group on your campus you may have a national group approach yours with an offer to become a part of their group. Or you may approach NPC to see if any of their groups are interested in your local sorority. Then you might become a colony of that national sorority. You give up your letters and become an initiated members of the national group, incorporating their symbols & traditions. And once your members are initiated you will become a chapter of that national/international organization.

Woman's Group or Sorority, same thing, you need to get with your student life director to see if your university is open to this.

Last edited by Kristin AGD; 07-15-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by meridionaleDG
Tau Kappa probably isn't taken. TK - those letters look good together.

This can be your ritual:

The greek letters Tau Kappa stand for Toublo Kefali. Toublo being the greek word for Brick and Kefali being the greek word for....

Wait. This would be mean. I must shut up.
LMAO!!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 03:06 PM

I have to stop reading this thread.

I'm getting a callus on my hand from banging it on my head in frustration.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I have to stop reading this thread.

I'm getting a callus on my hand from banging it on my head in frustration.
Try a pumice stone stone - or Phi Sigma Sigma.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
It sounds to me like you are really confused about your plans for the future; whether starting a local sorority or a womens club, or in the foundation of your organization. I strongly suggest getting in touch with maybe the greek advisor at another campus and explaining your situation, or maybe the advisor at the school you said your friend pledged a sorority at. You could also ask some of your teachers if they were ever in a sorority or know of a teacher who was. If so, they might be able to advise you.
I think that an advisor of some sort will definitely help you strengthen what it is you want to do, and give you tips for raising money, getting girls, and how to deal with the administration if they have a problem with you starting a sorority. Also, while I may not know the specific regulations at your school, I believe it is usually required to have an advisor for any student organization founded on campus.
While this process is going to be frustrating (I think you may be feeling that way already from your last post!) and difficult, the rewards will come with time, so keep giving it your all! Good Luck!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

If there is a chance you do want to affiliate later, I would not use the name you are considering. Sigma Kappa's national office would probably consider it arrogance on your organization's part to have their letters, in their order, in your name (no matter how you actually meant it), and other national sororities would think, "Well, they really wanted to be a part of Sigma Kappa, and we won't be second choice."

There are organizations with similar names, but they generally developed far away from and in ignorance of each other - such as Chi Omega and Alpha Chi Omega. The few groups that have names based on another organization's are generally women's groups developed from a men's group, and they emulate the fraternity's name. Or, more rarely, they were a local that split from a national.

Whether a group has Greek letters for its name or not has nothing to do with whether it is a sorority or not. There are a few local sororities that have names like "The Primroses." And there are Greek-letter organizations that are not fraternities, like Chi Alpha (a Christian club) and academic honor societies, like you have on your campus. So no matter whether you form a social club or a sorority, or whether you stay local or later join a national organization, pick whatever name you like that is meaningful to you. Just be careful not to pick names that sound derivative of established organizations if you might possibly want to affiliate down the road.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Cristina, I think that what everyone is saying is not meant to put you down or anything (I know I don't like to do that at all), but to encourage you to do a little bit more legwork on your own and then post with any questions that you might have. I think that it is important that you keep in mind that starting a sorority/women's club is something that takes, first and foremost, alot of research!! Good Luck, and try not to get angry with those posting on this thread because we are all trying to help you in your aims to start your women's club/sorority!!
Old 07-15-2003, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
Apparently you don't know me but you think you do, from what you believe to know.

I am not rude. I don't know who you are and I am not rude or mean towards you. I simply came to this site because I am interested in starting a womens social group, and I was told I could get some help here.

That's all.

Go bark up someone else's tree because I don't deserve to be bashed.
I'm almost positive you're the same girl. The similarities are too great to be ignored:

- Cristina is not exactly a common name (at least not spelled that way)
- You've made posts in the livejournal sororitygirl community about starting a sorority at your school many, many different times, with many different screen names
- You post your photographs in all your journals, and the style is very similar
- Your writing style and tone are similar
- The things you discuss in your journal, post frequency, etc. are similar
- Your behavior is similar

I had a different livejournal name back then so you may not recognize me, but I'm pretty sure you're the same girl I'm thinking of. Although considering your behavior then, it doesn't surprise me that you're trying to deny it.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Wow.

Just to let you know, what GeekyPenguin said is true.

The women on this board have a certain sisterhood. No we don't have initiation or a real sisterhood unless we're from the same org...

But DO NOT MESS with my girls!
That's so sweet!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been rereading all of your posts, and I have to wonder if you are actually legitimate as well. I always try to have faith in people but I don't think that the way you are being so nasty to people on this board, in all of your different threads is acceptable. If you truly want help, you need to behave in the dignified and polite manner befitting a woman who would belong to any sorority or women's club.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by meridionaleDG
Tau Kappa probably isn't taken. TK - those letters look good together.

This can be your ritual:

The greek letters Tau Kappa stand for Toublo Kefali. Toublo being the greek word for Brick and Kefali being the greek word for....

Wait. This would be mean. I must shut up.
Thats kind of rude. I really dont get why people are ripping this girl apart about the letters she chose. Yeah, they're part of a national sorority but if this girls campus has no greek system what does it matter? If a group on a campus with no greek system started and named themselves Pi Kappa Beta I wouldn't really care, I mean look at Pi Kappa Alpha and Pi Kappa Phi. These are two completely diff orgs with diff symbols and meanings and we were founded in the same region and time period as each other. If this chick wants to call her sorority sigma kappa epsilon pi let her!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PiKA2001
Thats kind of rude. I really dont get why people are ripping this girl apart about the letters she chose. Yeah, they're part of a national sorority but if this girls campus has no greek system what does it matter? If a group on a campus with no greek system started and named themselves Pi Kappa Beta I wouldn't really care, I mean look at Pi Kappa Alpha and Pi Kappa Phi. These are two completely diff orgs with diff symbols and meanings and we were founded in the same region and time period as each other. If this chick wants to call her sorority sigma kappa epsilon pi let her!
The point is that she wants to be known as Sigma Kappa and just toss the other letters in there...read the posts again.