GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,166
3 members and 2,163 guests
aanglasshulzea7, bmilestts1685

Old 08-31-2023, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
We've talked a lot here about how many NPCs have deservedly sustained major financial losses due to their getting involved in politics, making major controversial decisions, and so forth. Something's got to give and it may be that they decide to close several chapters.

Which NPCs have become involved in politics?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-31-2023, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmagnolia921 View Post
Which NPCs have become involved in politics?
Well during 2020 when... things were going on, organizations were trying to put statements out regarding certain issues, which caused members to become angry if the statement wasn't saying exactly what they wanted or if they disagreed with it. It also came into play when Roe v. Wade was overturned. It got very messy.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 09-01-2023, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I would think, at the branch campuses, cost would be a factor for a lot of students. The cost of attendance keeps going up- along with, well, the cost of everything else in 2023. It’s probably just not feasible for many students to afford one more expense- even if it’s something they’d really like to do.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I wills say though, as smaller campuses close and people transfer to new colleges, there could be a bump in small/medium sized campus enrollment if the student a) wants a similar sized campus and b) can afford it or will get a similar price of their closed institution. So maybe the "small" chapters will survive in that sense.

Since 1888

Old 09-01-2023, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
The truth is that NPC has lived high on the hog for the last decade or so, opening new chapters and building new facilities, etc. Those good times are gone, and each organization, no matter how large, will have to decide how to fiscally manage this new stage. Membership is cyclical, and we are entering another low point.
If your chapter remains competitive and viable on a campus, there would be no reason to close it. I don't think that is what is leading to more closures. It's the situations that have been left to fester for years in hopes of a miracle.
It's exactly this. Organizations are having to make tough decisions, largely because of the fallout of the pandemic, the anti-Greek movement, the political climate, and inflation over the last few years. We've all been losing members and money, and our orgs are giving up on struggling chapters due to both internal and external circumstances. When the org struggles as a whole, it's easiest to cut the weakest link.

I've seen some major moves and initiatives being implemented by NPCs in particular over the last couple months. I know my own org is pushing a major campaign to increase collegiate member numbers and retention.

Others are pushing heavily for alumnae initiates. I believe I read recently (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that Kappa Delta has a goal to add a couple thousand more alumnae initiates before their next convention, and Alpha Phi posted this on their Facebook page today:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00064617766814

Meanwhile, other orgs are selling or moving their national headquarters. We've had posts about that recently here on GC, and Tri Sigma just announced this today:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00064377296115

There are major changes coming.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-01-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post

If you look at the example of SDT closing Purdue, that chapter had been WAY below any semblance of campus average for years. This past spring, they had 14 members where the average sorority has chapter has 124 members. The chapter had struggled for at least 5 years to get close to average chapter size and wasn't successful. When it gets to that point, you have to decide when to cut your losses and move on.
For years (and we’ve talked about it on here, this is not me pulling this out of my nether region) SDT was ok with having this sort of setup on quite a few campuses because they were providing their members with a Jewish centered sorority experience. The women knew they weren’t joining a chapter that would “compete” with the larger groups. Why they’ve decided this model is no longer feasible I do not know.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
I would think, at the branch campuses, cost would be a factor for a lot of students. The cost of attendance keeps going up- along with, well, the cost of everything else in 2023. It’s probably just not feasible for many students to afford one more expense- even if it’s something they’d really like to do.
Yep. Unless you’re going to have access to awesome housing and a meal plan it is very hard to justify the cost and we know that is not the case at branch campi.
Old 09-01-2023, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Phi Beta will be colonizing at Sacred Heart University. SHU had actually opened for D9 expansion, but it appears that a fraternity hasn't been selected to join yet.

On another note, the greek system will survive and adapt. Many of the organizations have been around for over 100 years and have survived many struggles, including the 60's, where membership dropped off before rebounding again in the 80's.

Since 1888

Old 09-02-2023, 12:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I don't disagree with you here. There is smaller, and then there is not viable anymore. I'm guessing 14 women wasn't enough to be viable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
For years (and we’ve talked about it on here, this is not me pulling this out of my nether region) SDT was ok with having this sort of setup on quite a few campuses because they were providing their members with a Jewish centered sorority experience. The women knew they weren’t joining a chapter that would “compete” with the larger groups. Why they’ve decided this model is no longer feasible I do not know.
Old 09-05-2023, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe that Phi Mu has closed at University of Colorado, they are not listed on any pages of the UCB Panhel website, not in the list for recruitment.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
I believe that Phi Mu has closed at University of Colorado, they are not listed on any pages of the UCB Panhel website, not in the list for recruitment.
How unfortunate. Phi Mu also colonized at Colorado State the same year Colorado was colonized. Per the greek grades report, membership is also suffering at Colorado State.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
How unfortunate. Phi Mu also colonized at Colorado State the same year Colorado was colonized. Per the greek grades report, membership is also suffering at Colorado State.
Thanks for mentioning the CSU greek grades reports. From reading them, I also notice Tri Delta @CSU has recently closed.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

It appears that Alpha Xi Delta at Marian University in Wisconsin has closed. It is no longer listed on Alpha Xi's website and the last activity on Facebook is from 2022.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkAOII View Post
It appears that Alpha Xi Delta at Marian University in Wisconsin has closed. It is no longer listed on Alpha Xi's website and the last activity on Facebook is from 2022.
And..

Phi Sigma Sigma at IU-Kokomo is not listed on their "Chapter Locator" page nor on the IU-Kokomo student organization list.

Our chapter at Kokomo closed in 2021. It was an awful decision to colonize there for many reasons.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Phi Epsilon colonizing at Ursinus College.