GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,451
1 members and 1,450 guests
John

Old 08-29-2000, 07:48 PM
Question????

Post Pledging, yet again

Yes, I am an unregistered poster, and yes, I know how some of you hate that so much. I just have one comment. I think that many of these discussions about pledging, among other things, which you (members of respective fraternities and sororities) are having with non members (and even with each other) are things that should remain within the organization. For one it just doesn't look good, particularly the members who would striate the organizations into those who they felt "pledge" and those who didn't.

What if someone went through a process, but they didn't get their ass beat, does this mean they haven't pledged. Sorry, I digress...

Secondly, I feel, (and I am not a member) that this is simply airing you dirty laundry in public. These are thing which should be discussed among members, in members only forums. Anyone and everyone can read post in this room and all other rooms on this forum. So even if we can't respond unless registered, we can read and soak it all in. The only thing that threads like this accomplish is to present a not so pretty picture of you and your organization.
If you have issues, solve them in-house and quit venting in a public forum where your words have no true effect. Go to your national gatherings and affect some change, stop just whining about it.

And Please, I beg of you as an interest, stop destroying your mystique. Stop dragging the name of brotherhood through the mud, because for better or worse they are all your brothers.

I would caution, as so many have, that the web is not as anonymous as you think and--correct me if I am wrong-- but aren't there penalties for being involved in pledging activities after 1990 (7BA94). Actually that is a rhetorical question, because that is probably confidential information also.

Well I have said my piece. Anyone who agrees with me feel free to respond. All others...don't. Joking .
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-29-2000, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel what you're saying. It is like airing dirty laundry. I think some things said should be discussed amongst members as well. But at the same time, this stuff gets out. I mean, it's out now! We can't just be like "Oh, uh, ok let's stop talking about it cuz interests are reading and they'll get the wrong idea". Um, too late. I mean, I just think that interests just need to realize that although we are in orgs, that doesn't mean we aren't human. I think that this whole pledging v. hazing v. MIP thing is a big deal. It's something that needs to be dealt with and talked about. However, interests shouldn't let these debates about it consume them or anything. They need to be focused on getting themselves together (i.e. grades, service, involvement on campus, etc, etc). And then when the times comes, THEN they can worry about it. I'm not saying they shouldn't worry about it all, but they shouldn't let pledging, hazing and MIP get to them to the point where it could stop them from not achieving their goals of becoming members of whatever sorority/fraternity they are interested in.
But I think at this point, it's too late to be like "ok let's stop talking about it" cuz peeps know the deal. And even it we greeks didn't talk about it here, interests and others would find out about it anyways. If not here on this forum, they'd hear about it elsewhere. So I guess it can be argued both ways. Either hush up or talk about it and create change about it.
peace

One mo thang: I hope that interests aren't getting the wrong idea about orgs becuz of the posts that been posted. To interests, I just wanna say that just b/c we're greek doesn't mean everything is always peaches and cream. We do go through our ups and downs every now and again. Like I said, we're still human and we have our moments too. We do our best to not let our downs get outta hand or whatever. I just wanted to add that. I hope that made sense

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited August 29, 2000).]
Old 08-29-2000, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

I respect your opinion but have to disagree with the following:

-Greek life is not as secretive as it used to be.
-I, or that I know of anyone else here, have not posted confidential information about our respective orgs. That is something we do not do. I have no problem sharing views, opinions or my experience in the greek system. Most of the posts are related to information that have been used to create a certain image about GLO. It is different for everyone. I know what I went thru to earn my letters, and cannot dictate how other orgs. bring new members in. I must tell you, however, that I did learn many things while pledging. It was a experience I cannot compare to anything else. There is a diference between pledging and getting a your ass smashed. The problem is that because of the bad publicity, most people cannot separate the two.
We have a saying in greekdom: "Each one teach one"
I guess that is what we try to do here.
Old 08-30-2000, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I think that the reason people DO say all the blah blah blah about 'paper' organizations not being 'real' pledging or that people who don't get beaten while pledging didn't 'really' pledge etc etc is becuase in actuallity, these people would probably be repremanded or what have you because of this view. Most organizations that have been 'busted' for hazing are just as horrified and upset as the parents, schools, victum etc. See, in most cases, it isn't the whole organization that is doing the hazing etc, it is usually one individual or a small handful of individuals that do the hazing etc. If the rest of the organization found out what they were doing, they would be in deep doo doo. So the people that come on message boards like this one are probably voicing an opinion that is soley theirs, not their whole organization. Of course, I am sure there are exceptions to this, but I believe that their opinions are voiced because they know that it won't be widely accepted by members of their own organization. Just a thought.