GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 896
1 members and 895 guests
KDKells

Old 12-07-2014, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Alabama Rush

I will be going to Alabama next fall and I am going to rush. No one in my family has ever gone to Alabama, and the only person in my family who was in a sorority was my grandma. What are the chances I will get a bid? I am also working on getting letters of rec
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-07-2014, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

None of what you stated matters (other than the getting all your recs which is a must - and 2 for each group). What matters are the following:

Grades - if you are at or below a 3.0, your chances are slim
Activities - you gotta have them! You still have time to add to your resume if these are slim
How you present yourself - "pretty is as pretty does"

Have you checked out this year's info on the PH page? Are you planning to attended Preview Weekend? Very important that you do.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a 3.8 gpa and im very involved (community service club, volleyball, leadership clubs, internships, etc.). I am attending preview weekend, but I have yet to find out when that is. Would you suggest natural makeup with more preppy conservative clothes?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

The PH page should still have their recruitment book on it so you can see how the women at Alabama dress. It will be colder - and maybe rainy - so be sure to consider that. And I suggest the REAL you at all times. Everyday makeup is good for preview weekend. The women there tend to wear leggings, boots, sweaters, etc....You could call the Greek Life office to see if they've set a date yet. (I know your generation doesn't do that much but it's a skill you need!)
Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

No date has been set yet for preview weekend. It may not be set until early January, from what I've heard.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a very strong likelihood you will be placed. Alabama has an excellent placement rate. The question is are you prepared to be happy with whatever options you are presented with? If you do your homework, stated above, and understand that your choices are secondary to those of the sororities, you should be fine.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Would my chances increase if I start to reach out and talk to current and graduating members at UA now? Also what is the difference between old and new row? I am very new to the whole greek thing but I really want to be in a sorority.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:19 PM

If you make friends with individuals who are Greek at Alabama that's fine, but don't befriend someone just to pump them for information about sororities or for the sake of having an "in."
Old 12-08-2014, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansmith7 View Post
Would my chances increase if I start to reach out and talk to current and graduating members at UA now? Also what is the difference between old and new row? I am very new to the whole greek thing but I really want to be in a sorority.
Q#1. Yes, absolutely! But don't be creepy about it.
Q#2. Old Row is a term which originally mean fraternities (not sororities) still located on University Blvd. and nearby south of the Quad. The term arose when fraternities began building houses north of the Quad, which was referred to as New Row. Today it refers to a loose coalition of fraternities and sororities that pay into a fund to throw a party or two for themselves. Not all groups are "invited" to join.
It's also a term that some use to designate the most "exclusive, desirable, highest prestige" groups.
Which is really a bunch of BS.
The experience of being in a sorority is really similar no matter what group you join. And no matter what you read on that other trashy site.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I will be going to Alabama next fall and I am going to rush. No one in my family has ever gone to Alabama, and the only person in my family who was in a sorority was my grandma. What are the chances I will get a bid? I am also working on getting letters of rec
Quote:
I have a 3.8 gpa and im very involved (community service club, volleyball, leadership clubs, internships, etc.). I am attending preview weekend, but I have yet to find out when that is. Would you suggest natural makeup with more preppy conservative clothes?
Just a QFP

Anismith, it would also not hurt to, right NOW, begin compiling a list of women you know who are sorority alumnae. Start asking around! Relatives, teachers, women at church, where you work and volunteer. Your mom can post a request on her Facebook page, too. Make a list of names, their sorority, addresses (snail and e-mail). You will need to find recommendations for 16 of the 17 UA sororities (Sigma Delta Tau does not participate in formal recruitment and has a different living situation, but if you're interested, they would also appreciate a recommendation). You will want to ask them to write you a "rec" toward the end of your senior year. At that time, give each person a resume with your name, address, parents' names, GPA and school info, a list of your awards and honors, extra-curricular activities, volunteer work, church work, paid work - now is the time to brag about your accomplishments! Add an unofficial school transcript after graduation. This will give them everything they need to write your rec.

And send a thank you note to each!

YOU will not receive the rec - the alumna will send it to the UA chapter of her sorority. The thank you-note will a) show what a well-brought-up young lady you are, b) express your gratitude and b) jog their memory if they've forgotten to get that rec written and in the mail. I doubt they would mind if you asked for a message when they've got it sent off, just to give you some peace of mind.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 12-08-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Does is matter if the person writing the rec did not attend the school I am going to?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

You REALLY need to go back and read the 800 bazillion threads here about recs and Bama, the most written-about topic of all (well, Indiana's rush might have more, but they're close). This last post tells me you haven't even begun to do your homework before starting to ask questions.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry, just trying to figure things out, this website is kind of hard to navigate
Old 12-08-2014, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

use google and include greekchat in the search. It works better.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Any alumna can write your rec. They do not have to have been in any particular chapter.