GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,390
4 members and 1,386 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin, Xidelt

Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Want to start a Zeta Tau Alpha Chapter

Hello,

I will be attending FIU in the fall, and REALLY wanted to rush. The problem is we have no ZTA chapter. I have looked on the website, and although the information was plentiful I am still a bit confused on just where to start. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

hi alina, the first thing that has to happen is that FIU panhellenic feels that they need another sorority. when that happens they then contact the NPC(the organization over the 26 NPC sororities) and tell them that FIU is open for expansion. Who knows when that will happen.

The sororities that are interested in starting a colony there would send information packets to FIU panhellenic, which they would look at, and then they would vote on the sororities they would like to make a presentation on campus. those sororities would either accept or decline and then at the appointed time, they would come.

After all the sororities give their presentations(usually on different days) the panhellenic would vote and the sorority with the most votes would receive an invitation to start a colony, and the sorority will either accept or decline.

I love ZTA and am glad that you are interested in ZTA too, but FIU has great sororities that are already there. I hope that you will check them out.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinaLee View Post
Hello,

I will be attending FIU in the fall, and REALLY wanted to rush. The problem is we have no ZTA chapter. I have looked on the website, and although the information was plentiful I am still a bit confused on just where to start. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
How is that a problem?

And ditto everything FSUZeta said.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I knew just by your user name that you were going to FIU.

If you would like to rush at a school with a ZTA chapter, the closest ones are at UMiami and FGCU. Please feel free to try to apply their last minute if that is the only reason you want to go to school.

Why do I feel like you have friends that are Zeta's and that's what is swaying your opinion so hard?

They just added Sigma Kappa and are not currently expanding. Last time they did (2007) ZTA did not submit a packet for candidacy in the presentation process (not to say that they would or wouldn't now, I wouldn't know).
Old 04-28-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

As an alumna of FIU, along with BabyPink's comments, I hope you're choosing to attend FIU because of its stellar academics and potential opportunities for success. If you're just looking to join Zeta, you probably should have done a little more research.

If you do decide to go through recruitment at FIU, the 7 NPC chapters on campus are all wonderful and provide great opportunities for involvement for all types of women. It would do you well to try to see if any of them are a strong fit before you get disappointed about not being able to join Zeta. The whole point of college is to expand horizons.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you thinking that you'd like to - at some point - transfer to another school where there IS a ZTA chapter and just want to be able to affiliate at the new school if that happens?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
If you would like to rush at a school with a ZTA chapter, the closest ones are at UMiami and FGCU. Please feel free to try to apply their last minute if that is the only reason you want to go to school.
I think it is a bad idea to transfer just to try and get into a chapter. Just because there is a chapter at that campus does not mean she will get in.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry guys, didn't realize how bad I may have sounded. My god mother was a zeta and always spoke so well about it, always showing me pictures, etc. She died of cancer last year and so I was hoping to join just because of all the fond memories. That along with the fact I love the ZTA ideals. (Mother is a breast cancer survivor, but pretty much all of what they strive for made me want to join.) Guess I was being biased, I am looking into other chapters now, and have been. Thank you for all your comments, it's really appreciated!

** I will be attending FIU or FAU because of their proximity to where I currently reside.

Last edited by AlinaLee; 04-29-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry guys, didn't realize how bad I may have sounded. My god mother was a zeta and always spoke so well about it, always showing me pictures, etc. She died of cancer last year and so I was hoping to join just because of all the fond memories. That along with the fact I love the ZTA ideals. (Mother is a breast cancer survivor, but pretty much all of what they strive for made me want to join.) Guess I was being biased, I am looking into other chapters now, and have been. I'm thinking --------- might just be the place for me... if of course they want me lol. Thank you for all your comments, it's really appreciated!

** I will be attending FIU or FAU because of their proximity to where I currently reside.
You should probably avoid stating your preference for ANY sorority. It's fine to think it to a small degree, but writing it is sort of like posting on your facebook how much you like so and so boy or dislike so and so girl.

You honestly need to keep a very open mind - feeling an affinity for the ideals or colors is fine, but when it comes down to it, you will or won't get a bid because of how the active sisters feel about you, and vice versa.

Last edited by 33girl; 04-29-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Yep. It's best to keep an open mind, consider them all equally. It's fine to research on their local and national websites, but don't.... do what you're doing now.

Last edited by IrishLake; 04-29-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

okay, I will keep that in mind. Thanks again for all the great advice.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Yep. It's best not to keep an open mind, consider them all equally. It's fine to research on their local and national websites, but don't.... do what you're doing now.
Err, shouldn't she keep an open mind?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
okay, I will keep that in mind. Thanks again for all the great advice.
You might want to go back and edit your previous post.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Done. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
I think it is a bad idea to transfer just to try and get into a chapter. Just because there is a chapter at that campus does not mean she will get in.
Um....I don't know if you noticed but that was mostly sarcasm. Getting into UM or FGCU would be a lil difficult right now.