GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,765
1 members and 2,764 guests
No Members online

Old 07-19-2006, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraverage
TSteven, I don't believe DPhiE is participating in formal recruitment at Georgia this year.
Thank you. I've added a note saying that they may not be participating. I will update once it has been confirmed one way or the other.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2006, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I wrote a rec for a girl who will be going through at UGA! I also helped find 3 recs for my mom's best friends's daughter who will be rushing at Bama!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal_South
From what I understand, DPHIE is having some stuff time and are not doing rush this year. And legacies don't matter at UGA, they simply garuntee that you make it to the second round, there were some girls of prominant families get cut from their legacies because in the words of one of my friend's who cut them, "the sucked."
Something is not coherent here. Must be the poster. DPhiE having "stuff time"? We ARE participating in formal recruitment. The Psi (as in single letter, very old) chapter is being assisted by a national recruitment team this month. And, we don't call it "rush" anymore. It's recruitment. I "rushed" many years ago (and "pledged" too). Today, we recruit and hold new member programming.

And the legacies, "the sucked"? Did you mean THEY? Oy!

Liberal - WHAT exactly do you OFFER to this board?

Denise

Last edited by Denise_DPhiE; 08-01-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise_DPhiE
Something is not coherent here. Must be the poster. DPhiE having "stuff time"? We are not participating in formal recruitment. The Psi (as in single letter, very old) chapter is being reorganized and our national recruitment team is going in. And, we don't call it "rush" anymore. It's recruitment. I "rushed" many years ago (and "pledged" too). Today, we recruit and hold new member programming.

And the legacies, "the sucked"? Did you mean THEY? Oy!

Liberal - WHAT exactly do you OFFER to this board?

Denise
I was so confused by that post, too. I'm glad someone else didn't get it... I thought I was just tired.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Banned

I can't wait to read the Gator rush stories. Good luck to all the Gator Gals out there!
Old 07-23-2006, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Not sure if this is the right thread...but I thought I'd give you an update, and a mother's point of view, on the upcoming SEC recruitment and the craziness that insues.

As I have mentioned in other posts...my youngest daughter will be rushing at a large SEC school this fall. We are not originally from the South, so as you might imagine...that can work against you. She will be "competing" against girls whose families have been here for generations, and have lots of legacies and lots of connections. Her only connection is that her older sister(first NPC greek in our family) is an active at another school. We are not expecting that to necessarily help her much. She is a beautiful girl, but not petite and not blonde. She has above a 3.0 GPA, good activities, good community service, has at least one rec for every house on campus, and knows a handful of girls that are currently active at the school she is about to attend, but as you all know...so does every other girl rushing in the South.

I only tell you all that to give you some background info. so you know where we are coming from.

The journey so far....

We prepared her resume, made copies of transcripts, picked out her favorite senior picture, and placed one of each in a manilla envelope. We got all the addresses from the panhellenic site as to where the alumnae needed to send the rec, addressed above mentioned envelopes and added a stamp. We wanted to make it as easy as possible for the alumnae to send the rec in!

We started fairly early scrambling for recs. We had heard from different alumnae that some of the sororities had a July 1st deadline! Don't think this is common knowledge as it is not posted anywhere on the school's panhellenic website, or in any information packets handed out. When I say "scrambled", I mean it.

Not being from the south originally, we really didn't pay much attention to what friends were in what sorority in college. When my older daughter rushed, she did not go to a school where there were alot of GLO's, so it was fairly easy to find at least one rec for each house...but this is not the case with my youngest. We never even heard of some of the sororities that she would now need recs for. We looked everywhere...asked every teacher, every co-worker (bless my husband's heart), and every friend if they knew any alumnae in such and such sorority.

I must admit, my best friend probably suffered the most as she is a regional representive for her alumnae association, and tended to have "connections" in finding others. She helped my daughter out so much, and I can't thank her enough. Without her, it would have been nearly impossible to get as many recs as we did.

So to wrap up a long story...we got all the recs in(hopefully everyone that said they'd send one, did). All thank you notes written and mailed!

Whew! So glad that part is over...now on to the important stuff...WHAT TO WEAR!
Old 07-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

i loved reading your post on securing recs. for your daughter. it is hard work, but, as you have said, it is done and over now. whew!!

the girls your daughter knows in some of the sororities on her future campus, might be able to lend some advice on clothes for recruitment. we are all looking forward to learning where you daughter pledges!!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernyankee
Not sure if this is the right thread...but I thought I'd give you an update, and a mother's point of view, on the upcoming SEC recruitment and the craziness that insues.

As I have mentioned in other posts...my youngest daughter will be rushing at a large SEC school this fall. We are not originally from the South, so as you might imagine...that can work against you. She will be "competing" against girls whose families have been here for generations, and have lots of legacies and lots of connections. Her only connection is that her older sister(first NPC greek in our family) is an active at another school. We are not expecting that to necessarily help her much. She is a beautiful girl, but not petite and not blonde. She has above a 3.0 GPA, good activities, good community service, has at least one rec for every house on campus, and knows a handful of girls that are currently active at the school she is about to attend, but as you all know...so does every other girl rushing in the South.

I only tell you all that to give you some background info. so you know where we are coming from.

The journey so far....

We prepared her resume, made copies of transcripts, picked out her favorite senior picture, and placed one of each in a manilla envelope. We got all the addresses from the panhellenic site as to where the alumnae needed to send the rec, addressed above mentioned envelopes and added a stamp. We wanted to make it as easy as possible for the alumnae to send the rec in!

We started fairly early scrambling for recs. We had heard from different alumnae that some of the sororities had a July 1st deadline! Don't think this is common knowledge as it is not posted anywhere on the school's panhellenic website, or in any information packets handed out. When I say "scrambled", I mean it.

Not being from the south originally, we really didn't pay much attention to what friends were in what sorority in college. When my older daughter rushed, she did not go to a school where there were alot of GLO's, so it was fairly easy to find at least one rec for each house...but this is not the case with my youngest. We never even heard of some of the sororities that she would now need recs for. We looked everywhere...asked every teacher, every co-worker (bless my husband's heart), and every friend if they knew any alumnae in such and such sorority.

I must admit, my best friend probably suffered the most as she is a regional representive for her alumnae association, and tended to have "connections" in finding others. She helped my daughter out so much, and I can't thank her enough. Without her, it would have been nearly impossible to get as many recs as we did.

So to wrap up a long story...we got all the recs in(hopefully everyone that said they'd send one, did). All thank you notes written and mailed!

Whew! So glad that part is over...now on to the important stuff...WHAT TO WEAR!
I think this really should be in the Recruitment Posts Hall Of Fame!

Good work, southernyankee! I hope you keep us posted, because I can't possibly be the only one hoping your daughter finds the sorority home of her dreams!!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
She is a beautiful girl, but not petite and not blonde.
stereotyping are we?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

my top tier fraternity might give out a couple bids to undeserving people during "SEC Recruitment" just so we can blackball them
Old 07-23-2006, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I know what you mean when you say it is hard to find recs. I have had to work SOOO hard to find recs for almost every houses at my school and if it had not been for the awesome, kind people on GC I would not have had half of the ones I do. My school is not an SEC school, but from what I've heard it will be competitive. I come from a non-greek immediate family with only one aunt having been Greek (but no Delta Zeta at my school). I have had to reach out to every resource I know and still not sure it will be enough. My biggest fear is that I will get cross cut before Pref night and joining a sorority has been my dream since I was 16 so I do not know what I would do...
Old 07-23-2006, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25
stereotyping are we?
Haha, no...not stereotyping, just saying that there appears to be an extraordinary number of beautiful petite blondes here in the South!

And for liltrixx...cross cutting is the biggest fear here too. Just gotta find a way to stand out and get to the next round!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

And for liltrixx...cross cutting is the biggest fear here too. Just gotta find a way to stand out and get to the next round!
Yeah but unfortunately that is easier said than done! I just hope I get in!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I hope there is an AUBURN rush thread this year! War Eagle!!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

War damn Eagle