GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,458
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, SSPrintingLLC
» Online Users: 2,731
0 members and 2,731 guests
No Members online

Old 10-24-2005, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanx

Thanx for all of your opinions and the link.

I dont think it should matter at all, but I have seen some situations where it was a problem both with other people and myself.

Monice
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-24-2005, 08:57 PM

There were no openly lesbian/bi sisters in my chapter when I was an active... but it wouldn't bother me at all. My sister is my sister, regardless of her sexual orientation.

Sadly, there was an incident with another NPC sorority at my school. A very popular and well-liked sister, who had held several offices and was very involved with her sorority, happened to be bi. She came out to her sisters at a sisterhood event (she was seriously involved with a woman at the time) ... and most of them promptly shunned her. She was never again elected to office, many of her sisters began to avoid her completely, and she is not at all active as an alum or proud of her sorority membership because of the way she was treated.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to a.e.B.O.T.
discriminating because someone likes one organ more then the other is like discriminating because someone prefers Mint Chocolate Chip more then Rocky Road

LOVE IS LOVE PEOPLE
Old 10-26-2005, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Best Put Yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind of says it all!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-26-2005, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
discriminating because someone likes one organ more then the other is like discriminating because someone prefers Mint Chocolate Chip more then Rocky Road
This is a really bad comparison. People often have differing opinions on homosexualilty which is based on religious and cultural values. Icecream flavor have no bases in your cultural or religious value (unless you go to the temple of mint chocolate church mine is located in the last aisle of the grocery store ) Homosexuality effects how a person lives their life and their personal interactions.
I personally think Homosexuals should be treated fairly... in fact i think they should be allowed to get married, adopt children togethers, get work benefits, etc. I do not have a problem with having sisters with different sexual orientations; they are the same person before they come out, they just live their lives more openly.
However quite a few people I know would disagree.
In fact while I was an undergrad, some of my sisters told me they were bi, but they didnot share with the rest of the chapter. I kept their secret... one of them is on my chapters advisory board... she is single.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

When it comes down to it... Membership selection is a mutually discriminatory process by which PNMs and chapter members select one another.

If a PNM suits the culture of the chapter, has expressed interest in membership, meets the basic requirements for membership and is someone whom the chapter has confidence in as being a good addition to the chapter and being a good friend to the chapter members, there is no reason not to bid that person and make that person welcome.

I have yet to see a fraternity or sorority purposefully put out a statement saying they exclude diversity in their membership, and I have known Greeks who are both gay and straight.

Your sexuality, your religion, where you buy your groceries and the amount of money in your daddy's bank account should have nothing to do with your recruitment. It's just about who you are--- and you are much more than your sexuality.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Among many Things of course. First and foremost will be how do You AS an aspirant interact with the Active Chapter that You are Rushing! If you dont, then You wont!

Isnt that about everything and what it is all about?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-26-2005, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rhochi2002
This is a really bad comparison. People often have differing opinions on homosexualilty which is based on religious and cultural values. Icecream flavor have no bases in your cultural or religious value (unless you go to the temple of mint chocolate church mine is located in the last aisle of the grocery store ) .

Im sorry, you are right, let me rephrase:

discriminating because someone likes one organ more then the other is like discriminating because someone prefers Pork more then Beef

Is that better? There are more religious tones there, and I think this fits alot better.

Quote:
Originally posted by rhochi2002
Homosexuality effects how a person lives their life and their personal interactions.
There is a whole culture behind homosexuality, and places like San Francisco and Miami love it. However, being a homosexual only means you like to have the same sex under your arm. It doesnt change how a person lives 'their life' except how they are viewed do to awful stereotypes in this world. Same with social interactions, the only difference is people hate more on them for no real reason. BUT, my point, and I have one, is that being homosexuality does not necessarily change their lives or cast them into some social culture of pink feathers and cut off shirts!!! Lol, i mean, it CAN, ive seen it with mez own eyes, but it doesnt EFFECT how they live except which club they go to

Last edited by a.e.B.O.T.; 10-26-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:42 PM

It honestly wouldn't matter to me, as long as she does not make advances on a sister and make her uncomfortable.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-26-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

at the moment...

I personally have no problems myself with others being homosexual or bisexual, but there has been a few issues this year with a lesbian graduate student who is in my chapter. She is what you would call a very stereostypical lesbian. She attended our formal recruitment events and a lot of the potential members were asking why there was a man in the room, and it made some girls uncomfotable to explain to perfect strangers who she was form what I hear (i was a gamma chi) I have heard of and seen her hit on some of our members and it makes a few people uncomfortable. i myself am not having issues with it, but i know it makes some of the girls uncomfortable. She is a very nice girl, and tries to make a gen uine effort to be friendly with us, who she knows none of.

I agree with some others and say, I think its okay to have a homosexual in your chapter as long as they are not hitting on the other people in the chapter that are strait and making them uncomfotable. I feel very embaressed to say we are having problems with this.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Corsulian
We've had several openly gay members. The first one we ever had, I'm told, planned the best formal ever.
GMU Greek Life Wiki * Unofficial Region X Portal
Old 10-26-2005, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corsulian
We've had several openly gay members. The first one we ever had, I'm told, planned the best formal ever.
ROFLMA HAHAHAHA
Old 10-27-2005, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Firehouse
I think the majority on this thread is composed of sincere, decent people.
Or people who would like to believe, or want others to believe, they are openminded and accepting. I'm sure some of them are but we don't know what all of these people would do if confronted with an openly gay applicant.

My biggest issue is with what "openly gay" entails. Hyperhomosexuality is just as annoying as hypermasculinity/femininity and hyperheterosexuality. If the woman attaches GAY to everything she says and does, her lifestyle will overshadow her other attributes and therefore she will not get my vote.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Your sexuality, your religion, where you buy your groceries and the amount of money in your daddy's bank account should have nothing to do with your recruitment. It's just about who you are--- and you are much more than your sexuality.
If only life was so simple and the rush process was purely objective.

People are discriminated against in the recruitment process on every college campus for various reasons. We aren't obligated to accept everyone. The issue is with how you phrase the rejection so that it looks more like a "subjective criteria" as opposed to a discriminatory one.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

well we have to be discriminatory (sp)... or else we wont be who we are anymore... but the point is that sexuality has nothing at all to do with who we are accept who we snuggle with at night. Period. Religions that disagree can go screw themselves... and if you think the bible say that then show me... cause the only place it does, it says that in Leveticus right before 'thou shall not wear mix linens'