GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,239
1 members and 2,238 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 04-24-2005, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

The Corsage Project's Boutique Ball was last Sunday, and I was told it was a great success. I was there the day before, helping sort dresses and accessories. Most of the dresses (100s of them) were brand new, from various sponsors, but there were a few that were donated. Unfortunately, some of the donated dresses were just not useable as they were very obviously from the late 80s/early 90s. One dress looked EXACTLY like the dress Brenda and Kelly both wore to the Spring Dance episode of 90210 back in the first season!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't trust the Junior League

While Cinderella's Closet may be a great program (and it is...they do a great amount of good), I wouldn't trust the Junior League of Kane & DuPage. Many members have recently sullied a dear friends reputation with pure lies just to benefit their own agenda. It's sad, but I've learned not to expect much from a group of "neuvo riche" housewives that think the world revolves solely around them. Unfortunately, some of their members are really nice women that get caught in the crossfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axocinderella View Post
I am the chairperson of a Chicago Suburban project that stemmed from volunteer realtionships with the Glass Slipper Project of Chicago. Currently Cinderella's closet is a project of the Junior League of Kane & DuPage Coutnies, Inc.

These programs would be an ideal place to not only donate your clothing and prom items but for greek voluntarism opportunities.

I can assist organizations interested in working to set up programs.

http://www.cinderellascloset.info/
Old 12-08-2006, 03:33 PM

I donated 4 or 5 dresses to the Cinderella Project in my hometown. I got a card with photos of the girls that received them. It was precious. Ours even had hairstylists and make up artists come in and work for free.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTna View Post
While Cinderella's Closet may be a great program (and it is...they do a great amount of good), I wouldn't trust the Junior League of Kane & DuPage. Many members have recently sullied a dear friends reputation with pure lies just to benefit their own agenda. It's sad, but I've learned not to expect much from a group of "neuvo riche" housewives that think the world revolves solely around them. Unfortunately, some of their members are really nice women that get caught in the crossfire.
Yikes.

And it's "nouveau".
Old 12-08-2006, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I must say, I absolutely love this idea!! I know exactly how it feels to think you may not afford prom, as I was working a part time job, but it mostly went to take care of family matters. It it were not for a ridiculous bridesmaid dress sale at David's bridal, I might not have made it. I would have loved to donate my dress if it would not have suffered in a fire at home a while ago... I hope one day to maybe get to David's Bridal and help out some girls in this community.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Response to KTna

I am sorry to hear you say that you would not participate in a teen program that helps girls from my area and talk poorly of a program that I have chaired for over 3 years with huge success. We are currently piloting other programs throughout the US and have been training others to replicate this program. We only do good things in our community promoting self esteem, literacy, and children's health issues. I would love for you to contact me directly and maybe I can help your friend or answer your questions regarding our organization. I am a Board member and positive participant in all things volunteer. I also am not a ""neuvo riche housewife" and dare to say we have very few members who are.

Lynn T
axocinderella
Old 01-30-2007, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Our fashion design department at Baylor does something similar--they pick anywhere from one to three deserving girls each semester and do make-overs for prom night. I think they may even make the dresses. It's a really cool project, that's for sure.