GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,716
3 members and 2,713 guests
Cookiez17, indisigma00

Old 06-27-2002, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

zip information? do you mean zip codes?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2002, 11:27 PM

no, zip as in zero, nada, zilch, big goose egg.

which is what Miami's site has. Boo!
Old 06-28-2002, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

well, thanks everyone for replying. you're right, the miami greek website has no real useful information on it. but the information i've been reading so far is helpful. except maybe for the whole redhawk thing
Old 06-28-2002, 01:00 AM

Sweetie,

Yeah. I'm really sorry about that. O.U. and Miami have been rivals forever, and I just can't help myself.

My wife's apartment mate from O.U. is married to a Miami Alum who used to be on the board of the Denver Chapter of the Miami Alumni Association (He's a Deke). I was the president of the Colorado Chapter of the OU Alumni Association at the time. I put together some events where the two organizations used to get together to watch our football and basketball games, and he and I would buy each other gag gifts to present to each other at half time. (for instance, I found a baby bottle with a Miami logo and gave it to him as a Miami shot glass.) We had some really great times messing with each others minds.

Good luck in college. Hope you enjoy Greek Life as a Redhawk.

Whatever that is.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry I didn't see this earlier....

sweetie greek -- I'm going to be a senior at Miami this fall, and it will be my third year in a fraternity. If you have any specific questions about Greeks at Miami, feel free to send me a private message (click on my profile button below this message and click the send private msg button)
Old 06-30-2002, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and because I'm bored, I'll elaborate -- we used to be the Redskins, but like a lot of schools with indian mascots/names, they had to change it. I guess Redhawks was the closest thing that didn't sound too dumb...

Brian
Old 06-30-2002, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianMUDU
Oh, and because I'm bored, I'll elaborate -- we used to be the Redskins, but like a lot of schools with indian mascots/names, they had to change it. I guess Redhawks was the closest thing that didn't sound too dumb...

Brian
OK, if you say so.

(Ask some of your Redskin alums)
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile from the horse's mouth

I am lucky to be in a sorority at Miami, and I really love it. I can tell you rush is very competative, and 100 or so girls do not get bids (that does not include girls that drop from rush). This coming year Phi Mu is coming to our campus, which will give girls another choice, as many of the chapters are growing very large (quota this past year was 55). While rush is very competative, after rush most of the chapters get along. The rivalry rarely gets nasty, which I think in part is because of defered rush... you have friends that join all different chapters, so everyone is friends. But with defered rush, many girls don't feel like they have to be as devoted to their chapters, because they have others to fall back on.

While each chapter is unique and there are distinct sterotypes, being in a certain chapter usually cannot hurt your "social standing" as i have learned at some schools it does.

Over all I love being greek at Miami, but I realize as many others, I could not be greek and probably be just as happy, though I wouldn't have it any other way!!

Good Luck with rush!!
Old 07-04-2002, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

DeltAlum,

What do you mean??

Brian
Old 07-06-2002, 05:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to aphigirl22
Smile Miami U greeks

Hi there - I'm a sophomore at Miami U and went through formal recruitment this year. Definitely a long process (or at least it feels like it!) I ended up being very fortunate though and getting into my first choice - Alpha Phi If you have any questions about recruitment, greek life or anything else with MU feel free to contact me - good luck!
Old 07-06-2002, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMichelle
The Zeta chapter there I believe just won a silver award at our Convention for Best new Chapter. Oh la la. We have qbunch of new chapters so they must be doing something right.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman73 View Post
I am a concerned father looking for some info on Miami sororities and a good fit for my daughter. Don't laugh. (My daughter does not know I am doing this and would kill me if she found out.) My daughter will be a freshman in the fall at Miami. She is sharp girl (pretty high ACT). Most boys consider her very cute. I consider her "well-balanced". I do not think she drinks or parties but she understands this is common at a college like Miami. I do not think she will get drunk in college (maybe dad is being naive). On the other hand, I do not think she would shun parties where there was drinking. She is involved in a church group, but on the other hand, she did not want to go to a christian college. I think she wants to be around other girls that are neither prudes nor drunken you-know-whats. She dresses pretty well but she is not overly concerned with labels etc. I am interested in comments or feedback about sororites that would be a good fit. She is sincere and sociable. Any suggestions that would be a good fit? Any that would NOT be a good fit?
If you're looking for lists of "good fit" and "not a good fit," you won't be getting any responses here.

If she'd kill you if she found out you're doing this, then why are you here? If she wants to get more information on Miami Ohio sororities, let her do it. Suggest that she visit here herself and ask some questions. There are several MU sorority alumnae here who can help.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:28 PM

She is not going to be able to make any speculation about who is a "good fit" until she actually goes through recruitment, which is designed to help her meet women from EVERY sorority.

As such, it's just generally not considered "good form" to go to an internet message board to ask these kinds of questions.

And really, every sorority at Miami has LOT of different girls in them, so it's hard to say who wouldn't fit in somewhere because not every girl in a particular chapter is a certain way.

So to answer your question: We can't make those determinations, SHE will make them once she is actually going through recruitment. You can't say where you will fit until you have actually MET people in the chapters.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Dittoing OTW and KSUViolet's responses. It's HER decision to make after she has actually met the members.

Oh, and fwap fwap fwap...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

There are 18 wonderful NPC sororities at Miami University in Ohio.

Here is a link their Panhellenic website

There is a link for specific chapters and recruitment information that might prove helpful. You could also check out the sorority recruitment threads that discuss many things that PNM (Potential New Members) go thorough as they go through the recruitment process.

I hope all the information here at GreekChat is helpful to you, but please remember that in the end joining a sorority is your daughter's choice.