GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,759
0 members and 1,759 guests
No Members online

Old 04-27-2002, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool Heads up

Quote:
Originally posted by chscrew144

From my experince:

In rez i experienced theft, I was attacked, people berated me in front of my brothers and the girl i was dating, they tried to emabrass me in front of a friend of mine that i liked, ome kid broke into every common room except for one in my building and stole stuff I helped pay for.

In fraternities I have visited I have experinced: a warm weclome, very free beer, hospitality, help and encouragement, and a bunch of guys willing to help one another out. Fratnerity means brotherhood and while i;m not at present part of a fraternity i have grown into a supporter of the greek system as a whole.

it is hard to make and keep friends at my school. There are over 55k kids here we are the largest university in North America if you include Con Ed and have 3 campuses. Most kids here are commuters so you rarely see them outside of class. Even many kids in rez are from the GTA but go to rez just to meet people.

Oh and in case you weren't aware, it beats renting an apartment here for an arm and a leg. I guess there are no benefits to doing wrestling which is a potentially deadly sport every time you step on the mat. When i;m on the mat, unless i'm playing around with my friends, we aren;t friends we're opponents. i;m trying to hurt him and stop him from hurting me and he;s doing the same thing. But I have gotten tons of benefits from sports and fraternities are organizatiosnw hich provide friendship and brotherhood in an otherwise lonely and troubling world. Think before you speak.
Dude, you're talking to people who haven't posted here in years.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 04-27-2002, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I think being a part of the greek system can be one of the best expirences in your life. of course it is a life long commitment so you should seriously look at your choices and where you fit best. Please don't look at the best parties and girls ( I know several of my friends that did and regretted it)

Also as far as the money issue goes- it goes to formals, philanthropies, community & campus events, date parties, etc etc. which of course aren't free
you'll meet some of your best friends in college and as an alum through your group.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with some of the comments made by others. Research the national web site for the fraternity as well as the one for the local chapter (if they have one).

Things that you can gain from fraternities: teamwork, project experience, problem solving, etc.

I joined a professional fraternity and being a human resources major, I wanted experience in my field before doing an internship. By being president and pledge educator, I was able to work closely with people or people management which is important in my field.

As the VP of Fundraising, I also had the opportunity to plan our Golf Tournament.

When interviewing for a prestigious internship from a company that only recruits at 2 undergraduate universities in the country, I found that 6 out of 7 of my examples were related to my activities in my fraternity, like project management, problem solving, innovation, teamwork or team player, presentation, and the list goes on. (Just a note, I was one of 5 who got the internship!)

I was also able to learn from others regarding professional dress and behavior as well as practicing my interviewing skills on incoming pledges. (HR people are the ones who recruit and interview people in many cases) By the time I graduate, I will have interviewed over 60 people, more than some of my peers may have had.

Were it not for them, I don't think I would have the experience I have today. Not only was it great to make lasting friends, but I also got involved, and that is the key thing with any organization. You can't put nothing into it and expect to get something out of it.

This is all in addition to the networking opportunities you get just by joining a fraternity which I'm sure others have mentioned.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Its mayday. This thing is like three years old. What mayday? no, this thread. Oh.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

The original post may be 3 years old, but there are still people out there who may be interested in the benefits of joining a fraternity or sorority.

It's not fair to make fun of those who would like to post anyways.

I thought this was a place to share ideas and thoughts, not make fun of others becuase they choose to ignore the dates rather than start a whole new thread on the same topic.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lauren1874
Catlady --
I don't think anyone's making fun. I think Dionysus' response was just pointing out that the people who originally posted on this thread weren't even registered members of GC, just guests who posted their opinions and probably didn't return, so specific replies to the negative comments made by those people probably weren't going to reach them. No one was commenting on the value of the thread or disparaging the positive and constructive comments that have been made... it was just that people were directing their replies to specific users who aren't still around. It's great to talk about the values of joining a GLO, and there's nothing wrong with this thread -- there's just something counterproductive about replying to specific people if they're not going to ever read what you said.
She just summed it all! Sorry for not clarifying.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 05-01-2002, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chscrew144
Rez

I hada horrible time in residence and didn't eally like it but the fraternity feel is something I want to do.. It seems one of the benefits is bonding. You really get to bond with guys on road trips, doing work together (philanthropy and housework/ improvements) etc, sorta like a sports team but you live together. one guy is going to Vancouver this summer with one of his old roomates. There are good friends made here in rez but i don;t think any are that good!
Old 05-01-2002, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to brownsugakdphi
Something to think about...

Although it's been said previously, that this is an old post, I still believe that the post itself has some virtue in us discussing it further.

It is obvious to all of us that Greek Life is not for all... we see people on the street who we think could really benefit from it, but Greek Life has never been about pushing something on someone else, but rather allowing people to express themselves freely in a supportive organization. So when someone asks about Greek Life, in addition to researching about the many organizations, we should encourage them to take the step into researching about themselves. For those who challenge themselves and allow themselves to be vulnerable to Greek Life, it may be the greatest or worse experience they've ever encountered - but amongst everything, it is probably an experience they won't soon forget.

Personally, I have run into people who have the same feelings as Puertorican Princess and The Icon, and although it is easy to argue the lack of reasoning in their arguments and the validity of ours, we can't account for the experiences they may have had. Instead, we as models of the Greek Organizations which we represent should stand for what Greek Life is all about, the acceptance of diversity and the freedom to express one's self openly and honestly.

Although some organizations have lost the sense of their mission within the years, we as a whole have been strengthened by the experiences of our brothers and sisters. So Chad, why should you join a fraternity... well look to yourself, can you stand to be strengthed by the experiences of others? can you stand to be pushed towards excellence in academics and collegiate life? can you stand to be a model to the larger community as well as an aide to those in need? If you can, then I urge you to stand and excel amongst the leaders of our nation - those in fraternities and sororities...

Brown Suga
alpha Kappa Delta Phi Sorority, Inc.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Brown Suga, your point is very well taken!

While it may be an old thread, It is still very important!

There are many reasons to Join a Greek Organization.

You learn to interact with all kinds of people not only in your Organizatiuon but many others!

You learn how to run an Office and Budget money for said Office.

You learn responseability ane accountability! Do you learn that in school!? No if you live in the Dorm.

The Greek is on many Committees for the School and learning there!

You learn how to continue the study habit so that when you ge4t in the real world you have the tools to keep learning and the knowledge of having run and budgeted certain functions and offices!

Greeks are more highly trained not only fro study habits but from the knowledge they have learned from being Greeks!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-08-2002, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Advantages to Joining a Fraternity or Sorority

Advantage #1 - Academics

Fraternities and sororities recognize that your primary purpose for going to college is academics. If they ensure that you make good grades now, then you will get a good job, and send them money on down the line! So, they want you to be rich as much as you do. The average university student has only a 50% chance of graduating. When you join a greek organization, your chances for graduating climb to 70%.

Advantage #2 - Community Service

Each fraternity and sorority participates in many philanthropic events throughout the year. You need this type of volunteer experience on your resume. And believe me, volunteer work is a lot more fun when you have a large group of friends doing it with you.

Advantage #3 - Athletics

Fraternities and sororities participate in the champ league of intramurals which gives each member a chance to show off their athletic ability. Also, Greek Week enables fraternity and sorority members to compete against each other in many categories, one of which is different sorts of athletic competitions.

Advantage #4 - Leadership

History has proven that greeks are good leaders. Everyone gets a chance to be in charge of something in a fraternity or sorority if they want. Whether you are a committee head or the President, you will be able to use your leadership skills.

85% of the Fortune 500 Executive,
80% of the U.S. Presidents since 1900, &
100% of Apollo 11 Astronauts...
all joined a fraternity

Advantage #5 - Brotherhood/Sisterhood

Brotherhood and Sisterhood are the basis for the entire greek experience. You will form friendships that will last for the rest of your life. You will meet people of all different temperments, talents, and convictions (some of which you may never have crossed paths with). These are the people who will applaud your success and support you when you're down.

Advantage #6 - Networking

You know the old addage, "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Well, I know more than one person who has gotten a second look for a job because they were members of the same greek organization.

Advantage #7 - Travelling

Most national chapters have houses and chapters spread all throughout the U.S. Anytime you are a member of a fraternity/sorority, it means you are welcome at any chapter. Most chapters will set you up for a night or two, and the ones I have visited have definitely gotten an "A" in the hospitality department.

Last edited by SATX*APhi; 05-08-2002 at 12:58 AM.