GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,414
0 members and 1,414 guests
No Members online

Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
The actual wedding is being held in a church (Baptist if it makes any difference?) and the reception following is being held at a hotel.

On their website, the bride says:
"What to Wear? Everybody's favorite question.... It is an evening wedding and the Hilton's ballroom is gorgeous, so I would say a cocktail dress/Sunday best would be appropriate. Feel free to wear whatever you want, just not WHITE!! hahahahaha "
Yep, black - even all black - is totally appropriate for a formal evening wedding. WHITE, however, is never appropriate at a wedding...unless you're in the wedding party.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Any suggestions for a Memorial Day Weekend, out of town wedding? As crazy as it sounds, I'm actually trying to find something that would go with a kelly green handbag I won at a rescue auction recently (plus, the boy likes me in green). On the other hand, I'm open for suggestions.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
is it acceptable to wear black to a wedding?

a friend of mine is getting married in 4 weeks... it's an evening wedding, and I just got a cute black cocktail dress for a work function... I don't want it to look like I'm going to a funeral though
I'm sure it depends on the part of the country you are in, BUT yes you can wear black to an evening wedding. I would just make sure to dress it up with pretty accessories so it doesn't look too "funeral". Although who wears a cocktail dress to a funeral no matter what the color?

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 04-23-2008, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Went to Social Security today to FINALLY start changing my last name It's so fun to be a Mrs!!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiSAI View Post
On the "horrified spectator" front... I just got an invitation to the wedding of one of my dear friends... It was a beautiful invitation. But. On the bottom, it says something about a required "cover charge" of $70 per person. Maybe it's just me, but if you can't afford to pay for a reception, you either 1) find a way to have a really inexpensive party that you CAN afford instead of something super fancy, or 2) if you still feel the need to make your guests pay, make it something that people aren't going to mind so much after having to fly in, rent a car, and get a hotel room.
I have heard about this happening more and more. Apparently it's quite common in quebec to charge people for their meals. I don't think it's right. If you can't afford to feed your guests, or even provide them with a cocktail reception, don't have a reception at all.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
On the "horrified spectator" front... I just got an invitation to the wedding of one of my dear friends... It was a beautiful invitation. But. On the bottom, it says something about a required "cover charge" of $70 per person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pi Phi View Post
I have heard about this happening more and more. Apparently it's quite common in quebec to charge people for their meals. I don't think it's right. If you can't afford to feed your guests, or even provide them with a cocktail reception, don't have a reception at all.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
On the "horrified spectator" front... I just got an invitation to the wedding of one of my dear friends... It was a beautiful invitation. But. On the bottom, it says something about a required "cover charge" of $70 per person.
That is HORRID.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pi Phi View Post

Wow, I have NEVER heard of this. I completely agree that if you cannot pay to feed your guests then you don't need a reception. Honestly, it's no big deal if you can't have some elaborate affair. I'd rather go to a small cake reception at the church (what some people do when they don't have alot of money) than PAY for a meal.

Question for people who are familiar with this custom: Does the couple also get GIFTS at the reception?? Let me tell you if I had to pay that much to eat, there's no way I'm bringing a gift.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Wow, I have NEVER heard of this. I completely agree that if you cannot pay to feed your guests then you don't need a reception. Honestly, it's no big deal if you can't have some elaborate affair. I'd rather go to a small cake reception at the church (what some people do when they don't have alot of money) than PAY for a meal.

Question for people who are familiar with this custom: Does the couple also get GIFTS at the reception?? Let me tell you if I had to pay that much to eat, there's no way I'm bringing a gift.
I have never been invited to a wedding like this, and if I was, you can bet that I would not attend and nor would I send a gift. But as far as I can gather from the things I have heard, you're expected to bring a gift and all.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
On the "horrified spectator" front... I just got an invitation to the wedding of one of my dear friends... It was a beautiful invitation. But. On the bottom, it says something about a required "cover charge" of $70 per person. Maybe it's just me, but if you can't afford to pay for a reception, you either 1) find a way to have a really inexpensive party that you CAN afford instead of something super fancy, or 2) if you still feel the need to make your guests pay, make it something that people aren't going to mind so much after having to fly in, rent a car, and get a hotel room.
I agree completely. This is more tacky than should be legal.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:07 PM

I am the maid-of-honor in my best friend's wedding come up in June. Her mom and her have been at odds with each through out the whole wedding planning process - mostly because her mother has been momzilla and has taken over everything. Her mom took over during the process of choosing the invitations. My friend chose a bunch that she liked. Her mom vetoed all of them and went with her own choice. She even went with her own choice for the wording on the invites without running it by my friend.

Now, I remember when I got married and I was creating the text for the wedding invitation. I had 4 people other than me (my mom, my grandma, my sister and my best friend) look it over and make sure there were no spelling or grammatical errors. Your wedding invitations are definitely something you want to get right! Anyway, her mom didn't ask anyone to proof the text. She sent it off to the printers without a second look.

My friend's future last name is going to be Morehead (one "o"). I got my invitation in the mail yesterday. I almost died when I saw that her mother had spelled my friend's fiance's last name "Moorehead." OMG.

My friend's fiance's family is livid to say the least. My friend's mom refuses to return my friend's calls or emails. My friend called me in tears during her lunch break because she's so frustrated.

This should be an interesting wedding.....
Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel View Post

My friend's fiance's family is livid to say the least. My friend's mom refuses to return my friend's calls or emails. My friend called me in tears during her lunch break because she's so frustrated.

This should be an interesting wedding.....
Wait, a MOM is not taking her own daughter's phone calls or emails? That's sad.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
The daughter should just send out her own second set of invitations the way she wanted them in the first place and tell Mom she'll see her the day of the wedding. That's just ridiculous.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Wait, a MOM is not taking her own daughter's phone calls or emails? That's sad.
I don't think she wants to admit that she messed up. Her parents are paying for everything and her mom has kinda gone overboard with the whole, "I'm paying for it so you can't complain" thing.

I thought I had it bad with some of the stuff my sister threw my way during my wedding planning process! At least my mom behaved.

I told my friend that she needs to say to her mom, "If you paying for the wedding comes with a hefty emotional price tag for me, than thanks but no thanks. I'll pay for my wedding." I just don't think she wants to part with the money.

Her mom has done some other choice things over the past few months but I think this one certainly takes the cake!
Old 04-25-2008, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
25 days until my big day
About two weeks before my wedding it finally hit me that I was really going to be getting married, and started to slightly freak out. I went into work and my boss took one look at me, pulled me into her office, closed the door & said, "Oh, no, you're not going to work tonight." She explained that she had gone through the same thing and that she knew how I was feeling. She sent me home, and to this day I am thankful for it. It might hit you too, so be prepared if it does.

I plannned the whole thing with minimal problems & everything went fine just the way that I wanted it to. But I still remember (and it's been almost 10 years!) just how I felt that day. My boss showed me that she was more than a boss, she was a good friend. As a minister, she also gave the mealtime prayer at our reception. Hopefully you will miss out on the pre-wedding jitters phase. Has anyone else experienced this????