GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,962
1 members and 1,961 guests
Titchou

Old 05-09-2003, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Angry School Shooting - Case Western Reserve U

Breaking news - possible hostages - 2 students shot so far. Gunman still in a campus building...keep watch on TV, and pray.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-09-2003, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

i just saw it on the news. violence- it just doesnt quit
Old 05-09-2003, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah it's very shocking! I took classes there my freshman year. First time I've seen that new building...it used to be an open field....
Old 05-09-2003, 06:47 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by smiley21
i just saw it on the news. violence- it just doesnt quit
Yes, this will probably not be the last campus shooting at a university (nor a high school) either.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I keep thinking I'll post but don't know what to say.

There are still a whole lot of people I know on campus, and I'm just crossing my fingers that none of them would have had reason to be at the management building today. Please keep everyone who is trapped in the building in your thoughts and prayers.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:10 PM

The following from WKYC-TV, the NBC station in Cleveland at about 6:53 EDT:

CLEVELAND -- Two people have been shot on the campus of Case Western University and a gunman is still at large and may have hostages.

A SWAT team of 20 to 30 people ran into the building with weapons drawn at about 6:40 p.m.

A lone gunman wearing fatigues reportedly entered the campus building around 4 p.m. Friday afternoon and began shooting.

One was of the vicitims taken to Cleveland's University Hospital, there's no word yet on the condition of that victim.

The other victim remains untreated inside the Lewis building.

Police have surrounded the Peter B. Lewis building which is home to Case's School of Management.

A worker in the building says she saw a black man with a camoflauge shirt firing a machine gun at people that walked by him.

Sachin Goel, a 26-year-old master's student from India, says he was walking on the first floor outside the cafeteria when the gunman shot one of his friends.

Goel says the gunman then fired at him but he and another friend dove under a table in a hallway.

Bonnie Copes, an administrative assistant who is locked inside the building says she heard several gunshots beginning around 4 p.m.

Copes says emergency medical workers could not get in to help two people who were hurt.

One witness says that his sister is trapped inside the building. She called her boyfriend and said that she was huddled under her desk and couldn't leave her office.

For law school students, this was the last day of exams. CWRU student James Lisher says he was taking a final exam and didn't know there was anything wrong when he left an adjacent building at 4:10 p.m.

"Not many people were there today," Lisher says. "There were five people with me taking exams."

Emergency crews, police, and SWAT are on the scene. The nearby Cleveland Botanical Gardens have been evacuated.

The $62 million Lewis building is in the Mather Quad section of the campus of Case Western, at the corner of Ford and Bellflower roads. It opened in October, 2002.

There are 1,496 undergrad and graduate students in the Management program, with 84 full-time faculty members.

Case is located in University Circle, a 550-acre, park-like concentration of approximately 50 cultural, medical, educational, religious, and social service institutions located just east of downtown Cleveland.

The school has a total enrollment of 9,530 students.

We will continue to update this story on wkyc.com and bring you the latest video on Channel 3.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

So sad...
Old 05-09-2003, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

from Cleveland, Ohio. . .came home to Cleveland yesterday, what a way to come home and hear.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Have they got the gunman & hostages out of the building yet? (It's 7:30 EST here - can't watch the news, Mr. Mox is PS2-ing)

This is so sad. I have many friends attending school at CWRU. I pray that this situation does not escalate.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Not that I've heard. The TV here is not getting CNN for some reason and NWCN has gone back to Northwest news coverage.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MoxieGrrl
Have they got the gunman & hostages out of the building yet? (It's 7:30 EST here - can't watch the news, Mr. Mox is PS2-ing)

This is so sad. I have many friends attending school at CWRU. I pray that this situation does not escalate.
From what I last saw on TV, they are still inside the building.

I have a friend @ the law school.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
I have a friend @ the law school.
One of my sisters from my chapter is in her first year of law school there too... hopefully i'll see her get online soon
Old 05-09-2003, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.cleveland.com/wkyc/wkyc_c...emg_wkyc.frame

You can get continuous live coverage here.

Dani, I hope your friend is OK. The law school is right next door. There are only 43 people in the Lewis building though, and I think they've cleared out the surrounding area.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
http://www.cleveland.com/wkyc/wkyc_c...emg_wkyc.frame

You can get continuous live coverage here.

Dani, I hope your friend is OK. The law school is right next door. There are only 43 people in the Lewis building though, and I think they've cleared out the surrounding area.
Cleared out everything, including the fraternity houses. One of the women inside is 7 mos. prego.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom just told me one person is dead.