GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,406
2 members and 2,404 guests
AOIIalum

Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
On the dress front:

Well, my brother is now happily married to a wonderful girl. The dress I bought in Scotland was great...cost me 60 GBP though . I was all set to wear it to the wedding, until mom and I were at Macy's getting her makeup (i've turned her into a Benefit girl!). While I waited for her to show up, I walked to the Clearance rack in the better dresses section, and found this:

Except in an emerald green. In my size. And it fit like a dream. I'm such a fabric fanatic, and I adore silk, it felt sooo nice.

The tag said it was on clearance for $99, down from $160, and there was another 15% because I had a coupon. I still probably couldn't afford it. So for kicks, I scanned it under the price checker....$32. $32, less the 15%, and then less $15 and some change because of a return I had...I got it for $17! A silk dress, normally $160, for 17. Take that macy's!

I wore the dress I got in Scotland for the rehearsal dinner and the green dress for the wedding itself.

And I saw that Oscar de la Renta pink dress w/ the circles on the clearance a few days later, for about $50, but not in my size.

Last edited by PhoenixAzul; 06-06-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: clarity.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2008, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

That is a BEAUTIFUL dress - and to get it at such a bargain price! Congratulations!
Old 06-09-2008, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
On the dress front:

Well, my brother is now happily married to a wonderful girl. The dress I bought in Scotland was great...cost me 60 GBP though . I was all set to wear it to the wedding, until mom and I were at Macy's getting her makeup (i've turned her into a Benefit girl!). While I waited for her to show up, I walked to the Clearance rack in the better dresses section, and found this:

Except in an emerald green. In my size. And it fit like a dream. I'm such a fabric fanatic, and I adore silk, it felt sooo nice.

The tag said it was on clearance for $99, down from $160, and there was another 15% because I had a coupon. I still probably couldn't afford it. So for kicks, I scanned it under the price checker....$32. $32, less the 15%, and then less $15 and some change because of a return I had...I got it for $17! A silk dress, normally $160, for 17. Take that macy's!

I wore the dress I got in Scotland for the rehearsal dinner and the green dress for the wedding itself.

And I saw that Oscar de la Renta pink dress w/ the circles on the clearance a few days later, for about $50, but not in my size.
In Emerald green you say??? OH EM GEE, I'm in love. And jealous.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Gorgeous dress Phoenix!

4.5 months to go. I am steadily working on invites for the next 2 weeks. It doesn't help that I'm secretly printing them at work (ssshhh don't tell!).

Oooh and I'm about 60% done making my bridesmaid jewelry!

But even though I'm stressed and my to-do list doesn't seem to get shorter, I am loving every minute of it! I cannot wait for the wedding, the honeymoon, and to finally be married to my fiance!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Question: Do any of you have wedding planners? One of my friends is thinking of hiring one, but she isn't sure if it's worth it.

Most people I know are planning on their own or with help from the bridal party/family/etc.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Question: Do any of you have wedding planners? One of my friends is thinking of hiring one, but she isn't sure if it's worth it.

Most people I know are planning on their own or with help from the bridal party/family/etc.

I hired a Day of Coordinator, who is also helping me with some of the wedding planning. She is there to run "inteference" with the required coordinator at the base chapel. Also, with her, I can have my friends and family enjoy the wedding. Plus, if you have a friend or family member who does it, you may worry about hurt feelings. Because she is not part of family or friends, she can make sure people do what needs to be done to keep the day moving. (I hope that make sense.) She also has helped me make some decisions and keep me on track with the planning.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 06-11-2008, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:

No, for the simple fact that we can't afford it. We've been able to plan the whole thing so far just with us and friends. I mean, if you were having a huuuuge reception or maybe an interfaith service with lots of different ceremonies, I could see it. But we're pretty simple with what we want. Between the priest, the venue coordinator, the florist and the caterers, I think we've got all the help we need.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

An "advantage" of having a family member help out that day is she KNOWS who the grandmas's are and when they come in she can give them the corsage. To a "day coordinator" it's just another "old lady". This happened to my mom at my nieces wedding. There was a box of flowers in the entry way for certain people, but yet, they had no names and nobody was manning the box therefore my mom (the grandma) had no corsage. Then I was to find out afterwards that the Aunts (me) also were to have flowers. Who knew? So I got mine at the end of the shindig on my way home. Useless at that point. This is a great job for a high school girl in the family (giving out flowers).
Old 06-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I didn't use one for my first wedding, and you can read about it in the What Went Wrong With Your Wedding? thread.

The church I belong to now offers a package deal of a wedding planner, the pastor, basic musicians, pew bows, candles at the window, use of the sanctuary, and use of the church hall & kitchen for $1,000. I know the wedding planner, and she's really good (so's the pastor!). I would definitely go for it, at that price!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I have one, I LUURRRVVVEEE her ! She will make appointments for me, can give me advice about etiquette and sticky situations, help set up decor on the day of, (ours is picking up everything from us the day before) They should also have some negotiating prowess and be able to get you lower prices with your florist, baker, caterer, suggest good venues, so they can end up saving you money. (ours lowered our cake cost by 600 !, and got us out of many little fees we woudl've had to pay the venue)
Old 06-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

We didn't have a planner for the first one although AXOAlum came in and set up the ceremony--she was great! This time, we're using one at my daughter's church just for the ceremony and reception--we can do the rest ourselves--since the wedding will be 2 hours from where we live.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't have an official one, but my boss at the time was, well, one of the bossiest people you will ever met, and also really liked me so I took her with me to most of my appointments. She ended up bargaining down almost everything and the day of the wedding she kept things organized so that I could enjoy myself. She was a lifesaver. But any good friend that is loud and bossy could do it for you.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 06-16-2008, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

We don't have one. I thought I would want one because we are planning long distance, but when it came right down to it, we didn't need one. Our venue is responsible for our ceremony, cocktail hour, reception, cake and flowers. There is also a coordinator on site and she has been working with us since the tour. Plus, there will be an assistant coordinator there on the day of, too. The only other vendors we needed, we met at our tasting or used from the list of recommended vendors given to us by our venue. I know someone who sells wedding invitations and gave us a 40% discount. And as far as negotiating contracts and costs...my FI did all of that. He is a lawyer and does that all day, so it was only natural that he took on that role.

I guess it really depends on what your friend is looking for. Does she want a ton of details added to her day? Will she be using many vendors? The coordinator may be helpful with organizing that stuff and making sure everything is prepared.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
I actually know this girl, so I am happy for her. But I thought I would pass the link on to GC to see what the thoughts are on this one:

Ebay Bridesmaid

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 06-26-2008, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

she looked happy