GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,072
1 members and 1,071 guests
zsamulpitt5293

Old 09-02-2009, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Belmont Rush?

So I used the search and I couldn't find anything here with this topic, so here goes...

I'm a freshman at Belmont University and I REALLY want to join a sorority! My mom was a Zeta but they don't have that sorority here. I really want to be Greek not just because my mom is but because I think it would be fun!

There's only 3 sororities, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Sigma Tau, and Phi Mu. I haven't really gotten any information on rush here except for a pamphlet but it wasn't very descriptive! I registered and everything but there's no details online or on the Facebook group for rush. All it says is the registration link and that there's four nights of rush. I guess there's no houses here so I don't even know where rush is going to happen!

Does anyone know anything about the Belmont rush process? Like how competitive it is, are recs needed and how rush works with only 3 sororities? Am I more likely to be cut because there's less groups? I am super nervous. I DON'T want to hear any stereotypes - like everyone here says, I'm trying to keep an open mind!

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

My niece is a freshman at Belmont this year, as well. Although she ultimately decided not to go through recruitment, we tried to do a little research about it. From what we have been able to figure out, the chapters are not very big, but pretty active. It seems that recruitment certainly won't be as competitive as Vanderbilt across the way there, but if you have any recommendations, it can't hurt to send them in. Call or stop by the Panhellenic office to get more details about the recruitment schedule. They may send you an email, as well. Good luck!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

you are no more likely to get cut because there are only 3 groups than you are on a campus with 16 chapters. getting cut or receiving invitations, and hopefully a bid, has nothing to do with the # of chapters; it has more to do with your gpa, how you present yourself, your resume' and if you maximize your options.

good luck and please let us know how it goes.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam713 View Post
Call or stop by the Panhellenic office to get more details about the recruitment schedule.
This.

When all else fails, contact the Greek Life office.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out

@~/~~~~
Old 09-02-2009, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello!

Keep in mind, you probably have to register or something for recruitment, so make sure you look into doing that!

Please keep us posted! I am really interested to hear what happens!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

There will be a Formal interest meeting on September 16th location is TBA right now. I would advise going to each sororities website to learn more information about them. However you will only learn surface level information, going through recruitment is the best way to really learn about each chapter and which one you will best suit you. Unfortunately since recruitment is a little bit later this year recruitment hasn't been widely advertised.

To answer some of your questions Belmont's recruitment is becoming a bit more competitive each year, due to the increase in the freshman class. In saying that it is still no where near as competitive as a large university. Recs are not required, but it wouldn't hurt to have them. Not having a rec will in no way lessen your chance of receiving a bid. On average only like 2% or less of the girls going through recruitment actually have them so dont worry.

The chapters at Belmont are a fairly good size considering its a small school. The chapters range from 60-65 members. We don't have houses therefore recruitment will be held in different rooms on campus like the Massey Boardroom and Beaman A&B. You you attend the parties in a group so dont worry about getting lost. Each night of recruitment will start and end in the Beaman since it is a central location. Only having three chapters doesn't lessen your chances of getting a bid

recruitment structure:

• On the 16th each girl will be put into a rho gam group. We will have one or two meeting before recruitment starts in order to further explain the process and get to know each other.
  • Starting the 22nd you WILL attend 3 parties. This is Open House/Philanthropy Night
  • The next night is Sisterhood night and you WILL attend 3 parties
  • Thursday is skit night you can attend UP to three parties but just like at every other school unfortunately not every girl will have a full schedule.
  • The last night is Pref night and you can attend UP to two parties.

I am a Rho Gamma (its like a TT leader but for recruitment) at Belmont this year so please message me with any questions you may have. Look forward to hearing from you!!

Last edited by bu1904; 09-02-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Seems like everyone covered the advice pretty well, but had to say what a lovely campus Belmont has. My cousin went there and we went down for her graduation. Both Belmont and Vanderbilt are just beautiful.

When I joined a sorority, my cousin mentioned that Greek life at Belmont was quite small there but fairly active.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to everyone for your awesome responses, especially BU1904! I feel much more prepared! I have registered online and am planning my outfits - do you have any advice for the different nights?

Oh, and in your post you said that Sisterhood night I WILL attend 3 parties? Aren't there cuts every night?

You've been so helpful! I hope you are my rho gamma!

And to those who suggested stopping by the Panhellenic office, I walk by it almost every day, and the lights are usually off and no one is in there! So it's not like i'm avoiding it, there's just no one there when I walk by!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmontgirl2013 View Post

Oh, and in your post you said that Sisterhood night I WILL attend 3 parties? Aren't there cuts every night?

I think she is saying that you visit all 3 for Philanthropy and Sisterhood Nights and there are cuts after that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I think she is saying that you visit all 3 for Philanthropy and Sisterhood Nights and there are cuts after that.
OK, I get it now! That's pretty cool. I read the threads for other schools and they talked about only having like 15 minutes at each sorority and having to make decisions based on that. I think it will be nice that we get to see ALL the sororities two nights in a row.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel like it would be much easier to visit three twice rather than fifteen twice though. But I think it's really nice to be able to make a second impression instead of just potentially a first impression.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, you visit each chapter twice before ranking and cuts start. The only times there may be cuts earlier then that is if a girl didnt meet the gpa recruirements, that rarely happens though. The first two nights the parties are 45 mins so you will have plenty of time to really get to know the sisters of the chapters.

One cool thing we are doing this year is at the formal interest meeting there will be a fashion show of what and what not to wear each night. Just to give you an idea the first night jeans and a cute top, or a casual dress would be perfect. You can wear what ever kind of shoes you want but I wouldnt suggest old navy style flip flops or stilettos unless you can walk in them. Clothing generally get dressier each night. Sisterhood and Skit night you should wear a semi-nice dress, skirt or dress pants. Lastly pref night you should wear a cocktail dress and heels/dressy flats. This is the most formal night so pants wouldnt be appropiate unless you have some specific reason like religion etc.

I am glad you are excited about recruitment!!

p.s make sure you pay you recruitment fee to student affairs second floor beaman. As you know there is rarely anyone in the Panhellenic office.