GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,474
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, TitusPpd20
» Online Users: 2,109
3 members and 2,106 guests
3DGator, TitusPpd20

Old 11-09-2000, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Question To Easy To Join?

Do you think GLO's are to easy to join now? Do you think that to much information is provided to prospects to early in the game?

I'm just wondering, because I remember a time when a prospect asked for instance when is the tea or rush? Are you having a line? What are the qualifications? And our answers were you don't need to know that right now or get to know my sorors. Now I find that this information is so easy to come by. Is it because people don't want to be accused of hazing? I personally think it is a little to easy. What happened to the days of researching, reading, getting to know members, going to programs.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-09-2000, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

What do you call too much information? If a prospect asks when a rush or tea is or if that organization is having a line, I don't see that as seeking for too much information. I see it as that prospect wanting to know what's going on with that specific organization so that he or she won't miss out on an opportunity to apply for membership.

I personally don't think that it's that easy to become a member of a greek organization particularly any of the BGLO's.

I think the days of researching, reading, attending programs, and getting to know the members of the organization are still very much prevelent today. Especially among those who are seriously interested in applying for membership into a specific BGLO.

Old 11-09-2000, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Good question Soror:

I can see what you are saying. I think sassybrown can (in a way) also. Because you both mentioned something that is integral to this topic. There is a huge difference between going to sorority programs and getting to know members and asking "Hey when is the rush and when is line." By informing people who ARE NOT seriously interested (as stated by sassybrown)the sorority will fall prey to women who only decide to support programs, etc., when it is close to rush and when the line will be happening as opposed to supporting for months and years (if need be).

The issue is that people get all bent out of shape because members of BGLOs don't feel it necessary to disclose information to everyone who asks.

Back in the day it wasn't an issue of "I am interested when can I be down." You were chosen to be a part of an organization.
Old 11-09-2000, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
BGLOs don't feel it necessary to disclose information to everyone who asks.
I'm so glad you said that. Although I became a member of my illustrious sorority 8.9 years ago, before the popularity of the Internet, I learned what I needed to know and did what I needed to do at the proper times. I didn't demand information from any one (like some do today- not every interest but a few), but I researched in the library and kept my eyes (and ears) open.

As far is it being "too easy for people to join..." Who gets selected for membership in an organization depends on the chapter through which membership is obtained. There is a certain level of selectivity by all NPHC member chapters. The ease of entrance depends on the chapter....Great answer huh?

------------------
Sweet Deliverance's PHI-losophy:
"What you do or do not do today determines what you can or cannot do tomorrow."
Old 11-09-2000, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

DeltaBrat,
Thanks Soror, for your comments. I find that we agree on a few things in this forum.
Old 11-09-2000, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

No I don't think that NPHC organizations are any easier to get in, well in a way I do but I'll explain that further down. I think it's the mentality of interested people that has made it seem that way. I mean I pledged in the Spring of 1997 but things have still changed drastically from that short period of time. I didn't really know much about the specifics of the NPHC organizations at first, but one thing I knew is that in order to become a member I needed to be humble. I looked at it as a job I desired. I knew they held something that I wanted so I knew enough to respect them and to be patient with them. Now we live in a society were people have the "gimme attitude". They want things now. Patience is no longer a desired virtue. Some interest feel that we need them. Yeah we have depended on membership to help keep us going as orgs. but, you can have a million members, if only 10% of them are working what good is the other 90%. So I don't feel that it is as easy to join. I came from a town where Greek life isn't big on the undergraduate level. Now we do have big alumni involvement in all of the NPHC organizations. So for me getting an invite to join wasn't as difficult. It's only after I switched schools, that I saw how people were breaking their neck to pledge Greek.

Now what I meant earlier as to how it might seem easy, I agree with Sweet Deliverance when she said that it depends on the chapter. Like I said, at the school I pledged there was no big Greek atmosphere. Even the IFC and PC organizations had small chapters. One thing that contributed to this is the small student population. And it was a commuter school at that too. But another thing we must keep in mind to is that we live in a very litigious society. Take the 80's on back, people would never dare to sue for membership. If they didn't make it they'd work hard and try again or wouldn't try at all. We all have heard the story of Oprah who was turned down by one of the NPHC sororities. Well did she sue? No. She has even given up on the desire to go Greek. Well that's all I have to say. Keep this in mind: In your neck of the woods (like mine) it might seem easy because there could be smaller population. However go to an HBCU campus or a large white state school, and you'll see that the stakes are high. If you have 300 people show up at rush, what do you do?

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA

[This message has been edited by NUPE4LIFE (edited November 09, 2000).]
Old 11-09-2000, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to yorgos geneve
Lightbulb

STUDIO D' 'ENREGISTREMENT A GENEVE

A X I S
STUDIOS
Old 11-09-2000, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

STUDIO D' 'ENREGISTREMENT A GENEVE

A X I S
STUDIOS
Old 11-09-2000, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

DeltaBrat,

You mentioned, "...that back in the day it wasn't an issue of "I am interested when can I be down." You were chosen to be a part of an organization." Don't you think it's that way still? Those who are interested in any of the BGLO's still have to be 'Chosen' via a vote in order to be extended membership into a specific organization.

I do agree that folks do get all bent out of shape because members of BGLO's are hesitant to give out information about their organization. I guess it could be that people seem to think that certain things should be public knowledge regardless. Go figure!

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTABRAT:
Good question Soror:

I can see what you are saying. I think sassybrown can (in a way) also. Because you both mentioned something that is integral to this topic. There is a huge difference between going to sorority programs and getting to know members and asking "Hey when is the rush and when is line." By informing people who ARE NOT seriously interested (as stated by sassybrown)the sorority will fall prey to women who only decide to support programs, etc., when it is close to rush and when the line will be happening as opposed to supporting for months and years (if need be).

The issue is that people get all bent out of shape because members of BGLOs don't feel it necessary to disclose information to everyone who asks.

Back in the day it wasn't an issue of "I am interested when can I be down." You were chosen to be a part of an organization.
Old 11-09-2000, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

PERISTERIOTES MONO