GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,320
3 members and 2,317 guests
Cookiez17, PKT4LIFE, Xidelt

Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment a second time around?

Hi! I just finished my first year at a small catholic university and rushed a sorority. Greek life is very small at my school. Greek life is about 13% of a 5,000 student body. There are four sororities at my school. I never imagined being in a sorority but a girl who lived down the hall was rushing and I was very open to the idea of meeting new people and becoming more involved with my school. I went through the recruitment process and I did not know a sole in any of the sororities. I really enjoyed myself and met some great girls. During rush it was announced that this was the largest number of girls rushing in the school's history. I was myself and I thought I bonded with some girls. After the initial weekend of recruitment I was asked back by two of the four sororities to learn about their community efforts. One of the sororities let's call is Blue I was in love with. I clicked with the girl I met at the door right away and we had a great conversation and we learned that we were both swimmers in high school. I had also met some other girls in blue and I really enjoyed their company. I could see myself with them and I thought they were great. The other sorority I was asked back to is red. They were great girls I just couldn't see myself with them. After only getting asked back to the sorority where I could not see myself I dropped out of the recruitment process. I am currently thinking about rushing again in the fall, it is informal recruitment. What are my chances of possibly getting a bid? I will be a sophomore. Honestly I really miss having a large group of friends where everyone is different but we all have the one thing in common. On the other hand the process of being rejected again is not something I would like to go through again but I can handle it. Should I rush again or not? What are my chances?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2009, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Just from reading other posts on the forum, I think that you would notice how the GC people often respond to posts like this.
It will be harder going through the second time around. No one can tell you your chances, but if you feel like you could take possibly not ending up with a bid again...The way you wrote your post really made it sound like you are going to rush again anyways, so just go ahead and do it

ETA: Just so you know, I am not in a sorority (nor have I rushed) and wrote this because it is the typical response that you would find across the forum.

Last edited by txpacer; 06-06-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what school you go to, but I would say that in general it is not as detrimental to be a sophomore given the description you've given. However this may not be the case.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm481823 View Post
What are my chances of possibly getting a bid? I will be a sophomore. Honestly I really miss having a large group of friends where everyone is different but we all have the one thing in common. On the other hand the process of being rejected again is not something I would like to go through again but I can handle it. Should I rush again or not? What are my chances?
No one here can tell you whether you'll get a bid or not.

Depending on your school, sophomores may have a more difficult time getting bids.

You may very well get rejected again, but that's part of life.

Whether you want to try again is up to you.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpacer View Post
Just from reading other posts on the forum, I think that you would notice how the GC people often respond to posts like this.
It will be harder going through the second time around. No one can tell you your chances, but if you feel like you could take possibly not ending up with a bid again...The way you wrote your post really made it sound like you are going to rush again anyways, so just go ahead and do it

ETA: Just so you know, I am not in a sorority (nor have I rushed) and wrote this because it is the typical response that you would find across the forum.
Be wary of giving out advice as you aren't a sorority member, nor have you gone through any of our recruitment processes.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Be wary of giving out advice as you aren't a sorority member, nor have you gone through any of our recruitment processes.
I didn't see anything wrong with the advice she gave, AND she even had a disclaimer that she is not a sorority member nor did she rush.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I didn't see anything wrong with the advice she gave, AND she even had a disclaimer that she is not a sorority member nor did she rush.
That's why I said BE WARY and not "OMFG you know nothing!!!!!! How dare you!!!!"

We've had issues in the past of well meaning PNMs giving out advice that wasn't helpful or right, hell we've had people who are members giving out advice that was only applicable to their campus and could actually hurt people in recruitment. I'd prefer to have this happen as little as possible, no matter how well intentioned people are at helping.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I do intend to be wary of the advice I give. If I ever give advice, I will always add that disclaimer and hope that if I do unintentionally overstep my knowledge or bounds, the GC community will quickly correct me. I try to only offer advice that I have seen given many times before, that the OP could have seen by searching through the forum.
As a PNM, I certainly would not want to give out unhelpful or incorrect help.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpacer View Post
I do intend to be wary of the advice I give. If I ever give advice, I will always add that disclaimer and hope that if I do unintentionally overstep my knowledge or bounds, the GC community will quickly correct me. I try to only offer advice that I have seen given many times before, that the OP could have seen by searching through the forum.
As a PNM, I certainly would not want to give out unhelpful or incorrect help.
Just don't be surprised if people call you out on it if you swerve out of your lane. I just tend to err on the side of caution, for example I know that the proper NPHC answer is to go to the website of a particular group for information, but I let NPHC members answer questions.

If you're aware of the situation and can handle how people may react, more power to you.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

4 groups on campus.

Blue obviously did not ask you back. Chances are you still won't be asked back. (Dropped once, drop always tendencies)

You are already starting out wanting one sorority (Blue) in particular. Good luck on that.