GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Sigma Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,274
2 members and 1,272 guests
PGD-GRAD, Titchou

Old 10-08-2003, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Sigma Phi - Philippines

We all know that Alpha Sigma Phi was founded on December 6, 1845 at Yale University, but did you know we have a parallel organization in the Philippines? Here's their story:

In the Philippines, it started in a unique fashion with two origins. First on September 29, 1959 at Mindanao Agricultural College (now Central Mindanao University) in Musuan, Bukidnon Province when a young man named Thomas R. Gavarra who just finished Associate in Arts in University of the Philippines - Los Baños felt the absence of a fraternity in the campus. He was exposed to the fraternity life back at UP where his elder brother and sister where both members of a fraternity and a sorority. He recruited men to join him and invited Ramon Del Carmen, his acquaintance in UP and a member of the Upsilon Sigma Phi to be their faculty advisor. The group named their fraternity Alpha Sigma Phi. The sorority counterpart was also organized by Angels Rebecca Quiñones and named the sorority Sigma Mu Alpha.

On February 6, 1965 at Silliman University in Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, another young man, Manuel Momongan, a Political Science student of the university likewise initiated the formation of a new fraternity. He recruited men for the group and named the fraternity Alpha Sigma Phi based from his findings of that name from the Baird's Manual of College Fraternities in the United States. The sorority counterpart was also organized by Rosalina Cafe and they named it Delta Sigma Phi.

In April 1972, the two fraternities of Central Mindanao University and Silliman University met in a convention called for to unite all existing chapters in the Philippines. In that convention, Kalunsiang Dimalen (Silliman University) was elected National President. Greek letter assignment was then given to all chapters attending the convention with Central Mindanao University as the Alpha Chapter and Silliman University, Beta Chapter. The National Headquarters of Alpha Sigma Phi is located in Dumaguete City.

On July 24, 1980, Alpha Sigma Phi Philippines was registered with the [Philippine]Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a non-profit organization.

Both the US and Filipino organizations 'unofficially' recognize each other, extending the hand of brotherhood worldwide.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 02-19-2004, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

This is outstanding info. I'm Filipino and my family is from San Felipe, Zambales in the P.I. It's to know that our brothers are world wide.

God Bless,
Daryl #708
Old 02-24-2004, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to the_beast Send a message via Yahoo to the_beast
This is cool information, however you need to realize that they are two totally different organizations but happend to have the same name.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by the_beast
This is cool information, however you need to realize that they are two totally different organizations but happend to have the same name.
True that... but more than a few current and past members of the Grand Council are very close to ASPhi Philippines.

Old 02-25-2004, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to the_beast Send a message via Yahoo to the_beast
Thats cool, i just wanted to inform the other people so they wouldnt think that we are the same organization as I first did. This is mainly because there are other organizations such as Alpha Phi Omega which is a service fraternity has chapters in Australia and Phillipines with the same exact fraternity as the US
Old 02-28-2004, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

No problem at all, my brother. We oughta learn a thing or two from our Filipino brothers, considering they have a very large and very active fraternity over there.

Old 08-15-2004, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by allantristan

And you know what?

Louis Manigault visited the Philippines long before he established the fraternity*

During the American Occupation of the Philippines, the Secretary of Commerce was an Alphasig*

*information taken from the book "Louis Manigault:A Genteleman from North Carolina"

It's South Carolina not North Carolina...
Old 08-27-2004, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alphasigcofc
It's South Carolina not North Carolina...
Brother Manigault would be rolling in his grave at the faux pas... Guess we'll let Brother Allan slide...

Old 12-22-2004, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by : AlphaSigOU
We oughta learn a thing or two from our Filipino brothers, considering they have a very large and very active fraternity over there.
True that and more!

RP BH'77
Batch of 2003
"as true as sky blue sky"

Last edited by Billy Cawley; 12-22-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Even so, I am glad that we have the same name because I have an uncle who is a part of ASF Philippines and I am a part of ASF US... The ideals are both strong and worthy of us refering to them as our fellow brothers. Being Filipino, I am glad that both groups recognize each other because they are both strong institutions.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi brothers...

First time visitor to this board...

Thought I'd chime in here as I am one of the few (2 that I know of) brothers that has visited the Philippines on official Alpha Sigma Phi business.

In 2001 I attended their national conference in Davao City (if memory serves) after spending a week with some of the most amazing, dedicated and wonderful fraternity brothers and SISTERS that I've ever met.

I would suggest that the organizations, while not legally linked, are VERY similar. Certainly the Filipino organization was founded as a local agricultural group, but is now a large national organization that shares a ritual and values similar to yours and mine (I participated in an exemplification in which we inducted their original founder -- who had never been officially initiated until then).

I can't emphasize enough the amazing display of brotherly love that these men and women bestowed upon me during my visit, and I can't wait to visit again...

Glad to know this board is around...
Old 07-14-2005, 06:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I hope everyone is doin' fine. I almost forgot this thread. It's interesting that some of the members of ASF US has roots in the Philippines like AlphaSigMan and reynodf. Keep this thread runnin'
Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool thank you brods/sis

i missed a lot of ASPs activities and gatherings...hope i can join one next time.Sail on bros. and sis.

clavenly yours,

99 xu-mu chapter - cagayan de oro city
Old 09-13-2008, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gwAPO
in freemasonry they refer to these as "clandestine" entities. except for the honor societies and APO which was initiated to be brought to the philippine islands (which was then a US Territory) by a US APO brother, there are other similar US fraternities with local philippine versions and are unrecognized by their US originals.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

ASP Philippines has parallel recognition under the International Council of Alpha Sigma Phi (an agreement between two independent fraternities). Each has regular visitations.

Last edited by lanslub; 10-17-2008 at 09:04 AM.