GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,418
2 members and 1,416 guests
FSUZeta, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-24-2015, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

On television the officer said they are still considering felony charges.

I am sure that they were drunk, but still, how can they do that much damage and not know it is going to end badly?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-24-2015, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about that jurisdiction, but all the ones I am familiar with don't see being drunk and/or drugged any kind of legal reason to escape the consequences or culpability for destructive actions such as these. In some jurisdictions the state can elect to press charges without the victim himself pressing charges.

This is very, very bad. And it goes without saying that it reflects very poorly on the Greek system.

Chi Omega
Old 01-24-2015, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I concur. The delay in pressing charges may be due to gathering evidence and determining whether any individual charges -- in addition to any against any organizations -- can be effectively prosecuted.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Over the weekend five more Michigan GLOs were suspended: Sigma Delta Tau, Pi Kappa Alpha, Alpha Phi, Chi Psi and Delta Gamma. They join Sigma Alpha Mu:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/6...alism/30872446

The following says that the respective national HQs suspended the fraternities and sororities:

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/...roities_s.html

Last edited by exlurker; 01-26-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly thought that the picture of the hallway was an abandoned hotel. I cannot even fathom how anyone could think that this okay, drunk or not. Nevermind HQs, how did members stand by and watch their brothers and sisters do this? They ARE adults, and should be treated as such- peer pressure doesn't mean that you get away with anything legally (I'm assuming that it may come up somewhere).
Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
I honestly thought that the picture of the hallway was an abandoned hotel. I cannot even fathom how anyone could think that this okay, drunk or not. Nevermind HQs, how did members stand by and watch their brothers and sisters do this? They ARE adults, and should be treated as such- peer pressure doesn't mean that you get away with anything legally (I'm assuming that it may come up somewhere).
First thing I thought of was that it was from The Shinning
Old 01-26-2015, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I think what I'm most shocked about is that two separate groups did this at two separate ski lodges. If it were one group I could chalk it up to rowdy behavior, bad apples, what have you, but two groups strikes me as something systemic about Greeks at the University of Michigan. I know that ADPi requires chapter officers to rotate as sober monitors at every function...curious to know if that was a policy with these groups and if so where those members were.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't get this. At all. Getting wasted - yes. Getting crazy - yes. I get that. But destroying property? Where does THAT come from?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I don't get this. At all. Getting wasted - yes. Getting crazy - yes. I get that. But destroying property? Where does THAT come from?
Being wasted and crazy.

Chi Omega
Old 01-27-2015, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree with AZTheta

I get the drinking, I get the craziness, but when is the greek system at any school going to stop these basically suicidal attacks on themselves? When are Greeks going to quit killing the Greek System? That I don't understand, at all, after 41 years, most of them as a member of the Volunteer Service Team, as a mom to 4 members of my sorority. I do not understand. And I doubt I ever will.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

In reading the articles and see the pictures of destruction, you have to ask yourself would these 6 Greeks Orgs. do this to their own chapter houses? Or better yet their own homes? This is nothing more than pure disrespect for private property, acting like a bunch of immature boil brats, and not to mention making the Univ. OF Michigan Greek Community look bad in front of everyone across the country. UNBELEIVABLE.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I think what I'm most shocked about is that two separate groups did this at two separate ski lodges. If it were one group I could chalk it up to rowdy behavior, bad apples, what have you, but two groups strikes me as something systemic about Greeks at the University of Michigan. I know that ADPi requires chapter officers to rotate as sober monitors at every function...curious to know if that was a policy with these groups and if so where those members were.
At least one group has a policy against overnight functions with fraternities so the whole sober sister thing gets totally lost in that major infraction. I'm not sure whether all NPCs have that rule or not. I am not that familiar with other NPC groups' policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I am really hoping for some membership terminations in my sorority over this. If anything warrants it, this does. Also some arrests and convictions.
There are loud calls for charges to be pressed and the local law enforcement have said they are working through the 200 witnesses to try to determine who to charge. This is going to come down to these Greeks squealing on each other and testifying against each other in court if convictions happen.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:11 PM

Honestly, this looks more like roid rage than alcohol. A table falling over yes, but how on earth did that ceiling get like that?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Combine the immaturity of the players with alcohol/drugs and you have explosive and completely out of control individuals.

Chi Omega
Old 01-29-2015, 08:27 PM

That depends on the drugs...and the type of alcohol for that matter. I just can't imagine expending that amount of energy to do....what?? Jump on a pogo stick the whole way down the hall and dismantle every tile?