GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,255
3 members and 2,252 guests
aaidativanovoz6, Sen's Revenge

Old 05-30-2000, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

the best advice i can give you is to follow your heart. dont do anything you will later be ashamed of. i AM a sweetheart, forever true. i wish to someday pledge. i have known what i wanted to pledge since i knew what a sorority was, but i saw being a sweetheart as a stepping stone. there a several girls from my line that have gone on to get their three letters. there is alot of love that i have learned and was taught by my sisters and brothers that i hope to share one day with the lovely ladies of whatever i choose to pledge because the more i learn about them the more i know in my heart that i have alot that i can bring to their organization.
Hope that my words have brought you some light from the inside.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2000, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I don't understand why if you first decided to join an Aux Group due to what ever the reason maybe, then you decided to join a sorority as well why would you be prejudged???

I agree with the person that said joining a Aux Group is just a stepping stone. As long as your heart is in everything that you do and you have the credentials why does anything else matter???
Old 06-03-2000, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
Help me out those who are in an Aux group.

1. Would you pledge a sorority first then an Auxillary?

2. Is it really an Auxillary, because aux. are parts of a larger entity. I know we don't have auxillaries in Delta.

2. If you are a Kappa Kourt, Alpha Angel, Omega Gem/Pearl, Sigma Sweet, how are you bonding with your "sisters" or being taught by your "sisters" when those are male organizations (the larger entity)

3. How can you learn to bond like sisters if those who are teaching, training, etc. are not a part of a Sorority. Who is the authority here?

Help me out here because I honestly don't get it.

Hypothetical Scenario: I get to college and all I've ever known is I want to be in a certain sorority. Well, I know the Angels are affiliated with the Alphas, and the Pearls, with the Ques, etc. (you following me?) and so the Alpha and the AKAs are frat/soror, Ques/Deltas, etc. (so everyone thinks), and well if I become a little sister to them then I can get close and meet their Sorors. (NOT!!)

So, again I'm trying to understand the logic of little sister organizations. Someone, please enlighten me. Right now, my opinion is little sister organizations are little sisters to fraternities. So, what's the connection to sororities?

The only DUMB question is one that is NOT asked.

[This message has been edited by DirectorDST99 (edited June 03, 2000).]
Old 06-03-2000, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

This is the way that ours worked.

The "old head diamonds" came in and worked with us and quite a few of them have moved on to their various sororities. They made us learn stuff that i guess a line pursuing a sorority would about each other. We had to be very sharp when it came to knowing about each other. We bonded with those ladies, and the guys were basically around. We were more of their (the guys not the girls) little sisters. At least that is the way that my group was, but we never did anything right anyway.

The connection that we had with the girls was that we got to know them and it help take away some of the fear when it came to getting to know them. They could already see that we were willing to work for something that we wanted to be a part of. Although they don't know what it is that i want to be, they know me and i feel very comfortable talking to them (some of them anyway).

I have seen the topic of service on here a lot. I am fully aware that you can do community service on your own, but working with a larger group is still service. Our big brothers always had us out somewhere doing something, be it from delivering sandwiches at midnight to a homeless shelter to picking up trash on the highway... service was done. and it was also through the service that you met the ladies. So i do believe that being a member of an auxilary group has benifitted me.
Old 06-04-2000, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

To be HONEST with everyone I really don't understand Aux Groups myself. I don't really think someone that has pledged a Sororoity will want to pledge a Aux, due Sororities being known worldwide Organization and Aux are band.

The are several Women that I know that belong to Aux Groups. From what I know, they were told the only difference between an Aux and a Sororoity was the 1 letter compared to the 3, they bonded with the sisterhood, and they have done their Community Service. Due to them not knowing the difference between an Aux and a Sorority they choose the Aux. Either, because Aux were well known on campus, or whatever other reasons. I feel they should have done more research before making their decision because, now that they have learned more about Sororities and Aux they want to go on pledge a Sorority.

Most of the Sororities at their Campuses are giving them a lot of flack about the whole issue, which in my opinion really shouldn't be the case. They were ignorant about the Aux and Sorority issue but now they have seen the light I don't understand what the big problem is.
Old 06-04-2000, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

The auxillary group I was in was all a learning experience to me. It was very similar to Mancala's group. I did not see our group as a problem because we never tried to be something that we weren't. We knew that we were not part of the NPHC, and we did not act as if we were, or were trying to be. In fact the only way people knew we even existed was by word of mouth. To me, being in an auxillary was a chance to form a close bond with a group of other girls, and to get to form a brother/sister bond with a group of guys that i knew next to nothing about when I first entered college. It also helped me to meet various other people from some of the other BGLO's because some of them worked with us, and as we helped the guys do community service, and various activites, we also met others. I understand that some aux. groups take their "calls" and "chants" to the limit, but that wasn't the case with us. I hope that all the auxillary groups aren't viewed the same way, because some are defenitely stepping over their boundaries according to what I have read in previous replies. Well I guess I have said enough. May God Bless you all
Peace and Love,
Ambitious 1

[This message has been edited by ambitious 1 (edited June 04, 2000).]
Old 06-05-2000, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taz-Shedevil:
To be HONEST with everyone I really don't understand Aux Groups myself. I don't really think someone that has pledged a Sororoity will want to pledge a Aux, due Sororities being known worldwide Organization and Aux are band.

The are several Women that I know that belong to Aux Groups. From what I know, they were told the only difference between an Aux and a Sororoity was the 1 letter compared to the 3, they bonded with the sisterhood, and they have done their Community Service. Due to them not knowing the difference between an Aux and a Sorority they choose the Aux. Either, because Aux were well known on campus, or whatever other reasons. I feel they should have done more research before making their decision because, now that they have learned more about Sororities and Aux they want to go on pledge a Sorority.

Most of the Sororities at their Campuses are giving them a lot of flack about the whole issue, which in my opinion really shouldn't be the case. They were ignorant about the Aux and Sorority issue but now they have seen the light I don't understand what the big problem is.
my question is why would anyone affiliate themselves with a group of people without first finding out what their goals and values are? additionally, why wouldn't they consider any drawback that membership would entail? before, i made the decision to actively pursue Delta, I made sure that knew as much as i could about the organization before making my interest known and making any commitment.

i think sometimes we try to put the best possible spin on bad situations. lots of sweethearts have enjoyed their experience, but, there are also those who regret it.

i have said before that i find it very telling that very few fraternity members will defend their auxillaries or even discuss them. the women seen to be out there on their own when they are questioned about their validity or purpose.

[This message has been edited by dstbrat (edited June 05, 2000).]
Old 06-05-2000, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I would have to agree with you, they are just out there on there own. I would have to say after realizing this and geting a dose of reality they tend to want to move on to a Sorority. So that they can build up that sisterhood, and anything they may be lacking due to pledging a Aux at first.

So if in-turn many do decided to go on to pledge a Sorority does that mean that they should not be given that opportunity???

Just because they make a decision without looking into it first, or going on the trust of someone else, that shouldn't discount anyone from doing anything that's in their heart.

We all have to live an learn. Plus, nobody is perfect.
Old 06-05-2000, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

In regards to what Taz-Shedevil said about not looking into what it is that one was trying to do, i have one comment to make. When i was approached with the whole "sweetheart" thing, I asked all the people that i could find that might have some knowledge about it, i even asked some Deltas that used to be sweets. The thing is that no one had anything negative to say about it. It probably is my fault that i didn't know about this site before hand, but time was wearing down and i had to make a decision, so i had to reason to think that it could have been bad. yes this is going on the trust of someone else but it was so many people that it really didn't seem bad.

Old 06-05-2000, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I was not told until afterwards that it may have not been a good thing to do. I was told by a friend of my sister's that is a Delta. By the time she told me that some aux. groups are seen as bad, our so called "process" was over. I wish that I would have spoken to her before hand so that I could have known how sororities view some auxillary groups.
Old 08-06-2000, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
Bringing this back up for those who are interested. It most definitely was a hot topic.

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99
Old 08-06-2000, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

At my school, there are no aux groups(at least none that I know of) Can anyone tell me what exactly it is that they do. I have an idea, but I don't want to just assume.
Old 08-06-2000, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school we did have sweets for my godmother was a Kappa Sweetheart back in the early 80's. However, today all the auxiliary groups are underground. WE know that the Sigmas recruit fresh"meat" to be their Doves and does Lord knows what w/them. Also the Kappa's still have sweethearts to this day in which I'm told they do some type of community service, but never publicly...it was also "rumored" that their sweets got annoyed one day and had their Spring 1999 line dropped and a few members put on probation...but only those members know the whole truth being you can't believe word of mouth. Anyway, as far as Que Pearls or Alpha Angels I haven't heard of anything at my school..

Old 08-06-2000, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

so is my assumption right, if you know what I mean?
Old 08-17-2000, 06:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Well, there is so much to be said on this topic...Lawd help!!!

Well, I am a Sigma Carnation. My reasons for becoming a Carnation were different from anyone on my court. First, We are not Sigma Sweets, Doves, Silhouettes...we are Carnations: a flower that blooms in the winter. I believe that there is something in a name. The Sigmas took the time to change the name to set us apart from the other lis sis programs on campus.
The Sigma Carnation program is truly a mentorship program. There was no foolishness during my court year. Another reason I became a Carnation was because unlike the Kappa Sweets, Alpha Sweets, and ther Iota Sweets on this campus, we DO NOT HAVE A PROCESS!!!!!!! Believe me I'm not being made my MEN....for their organizaton, to be a fundraiser for them or a service project to benifit their chapter. I am a strong woman and I did not join to belong, stroll or party walk, step, or to do service. I joined the mentorship program to prove a point...That a little sister is not a frat rat, is intellegant, community oriented, can be and is respected by sororities on this campus. This program does not make me. This program has been a bridge for GDI's to greek life on this campus. When this campus' sororities begin the observation period they look at some of us first because we are around them, not just the Sigmas but all greeks. I have been a leader to my court. When I was approached to join, I confronted other greeks and old Carnations for advice because I did'nt want to perceived as something that I am not. I did not want anything to get in the way of my education or any opportunity to join the sorority of my choice. This was my chance to stand out and make a difference. Some of my court sisters are Sigma groupies, and they just want to stroll...but you can't weed out all of the bad ones....and because of their behavior they have been marked by all greeks on this campus. I never strolled, stepped, or have ever disrespected any sorority or the Zeta's by thinking that I am the Sigma's Sister. A big problem the soroities have with lil sisters is that some don't recognize that they are not a part of the greek system, and that they do not understand that they are not a seperate org. I have developed frienships with Delta's, Zeta's, and SGRho's. My being in the program has not made me an outcast...it put me in the public eye more and from that greeks took the time to get to know me and I them. That is a goal of the program, and I commend the Sigma's of my school for their effective efforts and I commend the Zeta's for their support. I respect the greeks on my campus and have in turn earned their respect...I thank God that I was able to make the difference that I set out to make. My favorite saying is "Be the change you want to see in the world" -Ghandi ....That is what I strive for every day of my life.