GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,441
1 members and 1,440 guests
No Members online

Old 07-20-2001, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Local/Regional "Greek Letter Organizations"

I searched and I did not find a posting related to this topic. SO here I go. How do members of "Real" greek letter organizations, feel about the local/regional organizations i.e. T phi T (Track Team) Me pho (Football team), Swing phi Swing, and other organizations that use greek letters, and behave as GLOs?
I am down south and at the school I frequent, we have B phi B (baseball), Me phi, T phi T, and a few others, that have line names, crossing dates, etc.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-21-2001, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Alias_01
Are you referring to non-greek organizations who just adopt greek letters, because here in Illinois there are two regional fraternities that are very popular Beta Phi Pi and Phi Rho Eta.
Old 07-21-2001, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

@Alias_01, yes, that's exactly what I am referring to. How do you feel about this?

[This message has been edited by reddnhott2020 (edited July 21, 2001).]
Old 07-24-2001, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I think that they are annoying. Why not just call them what they are; clubs, teams or fellowships. Leave the Greek letters for the fraternities and sororities. Even honor societies with Greek letters annoy me just as much. FAN CLUBS SUCH AS G PHI G (yes we all know about the Gerald Levert Sorority) ARE THE WORST. HOW OFFENSIVE. Local and Regional GLO's are something totally different from organizations that aren't fraternities or sororities using Greek letters.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Redd, are you referring to Southern?

SU has Base Phi Ball(the baseball team), Cheer Phi Leader(cheerleading squad), the numerous band frats(T Phi T, S Phi D, T.O.P. Bus Two, etc.), and of course, the homemade "non-greek" groups(U Phi U and QTPi).

The band frats and the sports-oriented groups have existed for years, but one day they decided to get paraphernalia like actual Greeks. When I first got to SU, they just went through their little hazing and only they really knew what group they were in. Now they want to be seen. I guess everybody wants to be a part of something nowadays
Old 07-24-2001, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Quote:
Originally posted by reddnhott2020:
@Alias_01, yes, that's exactly what I am referring to (Beta Phi Pi and Phi Rho Eta). How do you feel about this?

[This message has been edited by reddnhott2020 (edited July 21, 2001).]
Well, to put a new twist, how about a black non-NPHC fraternity that is however part of NIC? (Ex. Phi Eta Psi Fraternity, founded in 1965 at one of the Michigan universities. They have about 22 chapters, in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio). They are not part of NPHC but I was kinda surprised that they were members of NIC. But then again, Iota was part of NIC before they became NPHC, so that may not be as much of an issue.

Anyway, when I attended Central State, there was actually a fraternity called Players, Inc founded in 1973 and their "letters" was P$I. Their colors was green and gold and their call was P-SIII! I ought to know, cause my dorm room was next to a P$I and he had a green and gold banner on his wall.

There was also a card-playing frat called The Syndicate (letters being SYND). Go figure....

One other frat that was on my campus that I wonder if anyone here has heard of and that was called Delta Psi Chi. Their colors were maroon and gold and from what I know they was founded in Milwaukee in 1985.

Just my two cents...

RM
Old 07-24-2001, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, to put a new twist, how about a black non-NPHC fraternity that is however part of NIC? (Ex. Phi Eta Psi Fraternity, founded in 1965 at one of the Michigan universities. They have about 22 chapters, in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio). They are not part of NPHC but I was kinda surprised that they were members of NIC. But then again, Iota was part of NIC before they became NPHC, so that may not be as much of an issue.

Anyway, when I attended Central State, there was actually a fraternity called Players, Inc founded in 1973 and their "letters" was P$I. Their colors was green and gold and their call was P-SIII! I ought to know, cause my dorm room was next to a P$I and he had a green and gold banner on his wall.

There was also a card-playing frat called The Syndicate (letters being SYND). Go figure....

One other frat that was on my campus that I wonder if anyone here has heard of and that was called Delta Psi Chi. Their colors were maroon and gold and from what I know they was founded in Milwaukee in 1985.

Just my two cents...

RM

Not just SU, I am at another school for summer school, and they have Me phi and other assorted "Greek Letter "Using" Organizations". Even the Housing staff (ra's, desk workers, hall directors) want to start a GL"U"O, Rho Alpha. lol

[This message has been edited by reddnhott2020 (edited July 24, 2001).]
Old 08-08-2001, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to pointNclick Send a message via AIM to pointNclick Send a message via Yahoo to pointNclick
kinda of related--

I have always wondered if memberships into such organizations would preclude one from joining a BGLO? I knew a girl a few years back that was a member of Swing Phi Swing (?.. I think) and she wanted to join a BGL sorority. I commented that she might not be able to but she was adamant that she could. Dunno what happened to her since I moved away shortly thereafter.

Anyone know the answer? I am more curious than anything as I have encountered very few people from these regional or non-greek based (but using greek letter) organizations.

[This message has been edited by pointNclick (edited August 08, 2001).]
Old 08-08-2001, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

We have all kind of stuff at Alabama A&M ...Track Phi Track etc.... Not until I read this did I think they were at other schools. And here I was thinking that all of this stuff was only going on at my school. The football team has something and when we (the Delta's) were having a greek step off on this strip on campus they had the D.J. give them a shout out.... I was like WTF is that. They (football team, girls basketball team) partywalk and stuff and at this party someone walked through the football players line and from there on the violence erupted.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I'm wit Showstopper1908: Just a bunch of clubs posing as wannabes. I saw a cat at Randall Park Mall in Cleveland one day recently with an upside down psi on his chest. When I asked him what it meant, he said, "Death."
I mean really, what's the point? How will anyone ever take us serious in light of such silliness?
Old 08-08-2001, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I attend a HBCU and we have numerous:
1. F Phi B = Foot phi ball = football frat (Why do they have thier own bench, Colors, handshakes and call???? and last year they tried to get "sweethearts"?? Why does everyone think they are the "Krunkest" which they are. and to top it off, every other week, they have themselves a parade on Campus!!! "

2. B Phi B = Base Phi Ball = baseball (they are sorry though)

3. G Phi G = Glory Phi GOD = Religious Coed Fraternity

[This message has been edited by Nice1 (edited August 08, 2001).]
Old 08-08-2001, 06:45 PM

I think that such organizations are only annoying when they "Greek-bash." You know GDIs that "pride" themselves in being "individuals," therefore having no need for Greekdom. Why join an organization that mimmicks a GLO? Uh...that makes sense.
However, fraternities and sororities do not have claim over Greek letters...actual Greeks (people from Greece) do. So, Honoraries (sociology honories, etc.) have every right to use greek letters. In my opinion, the honoraries are not emulating GLOs, nor do they conduct themselves as such. Many honoraries are older than the oldest GLO, too.

Greek Love,
CHAOS
Old 08-10-2001, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtymike1906:
I'm wit Showstopper1908: Just a bunch of clubs posing as wannabes. I saw a cat at Randall Park Mall in Cleveland one day recently with an upside down psi on his chest. When I asked him what it meant, he said, "Death."
I mean really, what's the point? How will anyone ever take us serious in light of such silliness?
Old 08-10-2001, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtymike1906:
LMAO!! LMAO!! THAT IS HILARIOUS!!! LMAO!!

Hey, what you doin in my mall????

LMAO that you even asked this fool what it meant and expected to get a decent answer. LMAO!! I mean, come ON! He had an UPSIDE DOWN Greek letter on his shirt. That's like one of us walking around with an upside down G on our shirt, and then saying it meant ghetto. That's just stupid. LMAO. I'm delirious. I'm goin' to bed. LOL, I just can't stop laughing at this!!! ROTFLMAO!

Old 08-10-2001, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Originally posted by Ideal08:
That's like one of us walking around with an upside down G on our shirt, and then saying it meant ghetto.

lMBAO!!!!!!! now THAT was funny. (upside down G!!) still laughing!!!!!