GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,323
1 members and 1,322 guests
acg233

Old 02-25-2018, 07:58 PM

LSU Task Force on Greek Life proposes mandatory random drug testing

http://www.nola.com/education/index....g_testing.html

Quote:
In an attempt to change University Greek Life culture, the LSU Task Force on Greek Life Wednesday (Jan. 24) proposed possible policy changes in its first meeting of 2018.

Those changes include mandatory random drug testing for Greek students, developing an amnesty policy, developing a broader definition of hazing, requiring all chapters to have an advisory board and a four-year review cycle for organizations.
What the h-e-double-toothpicks?? Unless I'm reading this wrong, this policy would mandate random drug tests for members of fraternities and sororities, but not for students who are not members of GLOs.

What about members of service GLOs such as APO? What about members of professional GLOs?

News flash: Non-Greek students use drugs too. There was a floor in the dorm where I lived, that had an annual party: DTYD (Drink Til You Drop). Back in the '70s and '80s, it was paired with STYF (Smoke Til You Fly) - needless to say, what was smoked was pot. Another dorm hosted an annual Steer Roast, where an actual steer was roasted, and people got sh*tfaced and remained so for 48 hours straight.

Either institute random drug testing for ALL students, or for NO students.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd fight that policy too hard if I was a director of a house corporation with personal liability on a 7-figure note.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-25-2018, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
To be honest, I'm not sure I'd fight that policy too hard if I was a director of a house corporation with personal liability on a 7-figure note.
Whatever organizations think it’s ok to put personal liability of this nature in advisors are completely out of line. Criminy.

On a different note, how in the world are these proposals, especially mandating drug testing, not a violation of equal protection clause?
Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

With equal protection, for non suspect classifcations, which FSL groups certainly are not, you only need a legitimate governmental goal, i.e., the 'ol rational basis test. I think the better arguments would be on the 4th Amendment grounds and the right of free association.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:20 AM

This is absolute bullshit.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

This is pretty absurd especially given that drug use isn't just a greek life thing on college campuses. If this moves forward I'm sure the ACLU will take interest in this issue.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Not totally sure how legal this would be? And yes, I would bet the ACLU would jump all over this!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenD View Post
Whatever organizations think it’s ok to put personal liability of this nature in advisors are completely out of line. Criminy.

On a different note, how in the world are these proposals, especially mandating drug testing, not a violation of equal protection clause?
You'd be referring to every single NIC organization I know of with the exception of Lambda Chi Alpha. In my chapter's case, to buy a house, we have to form our own corporation, obtain 501(c)(10) status from the IRS, which is no small undertaking, and obtain a mortgage. We are unlikely to be able to obtain a mortgage without some folks personally guaranteeing the loan.

Yeah, it's pretty unbelievable to me that we have organizations which are 150+ years old which still do not have national house corporations. Nope. We prefer to reinvent the wheel at every single one of our chapters.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
You'd be referring to every single NIC organization I know of with the exception of Lambda Chi Alpha. In my chapter's case, to buy a house, we have to form our own corporation, obtain 501(c)(10) status from the IRS, which is no small undertaking, and obtain a mortgage. We are unlikely to be able to obtain a mortgage without some folks personally guaranteeing the loan.

Yeah, it's pretty unbelievable to me that we have organizations which are 150+ years old which still do not have national house corporations. Nope. We prefer to reinvent the wheel at every single one of our chapters.
Kappa Delta has individual house corporations, but our mortgages are guaranteed by national. Surprised that so many orgs have not been vigilant about reducing liability for alumni.