GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,301
1 members and 1,300 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 03-01-2018, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Transferring to a new University after going ALUM

HI!

(a little background...)
So I have an ankle injury that happened during the first semester of this school year and due to it, I went ALUM this past semester since I couldn't return to school in Ohio. (Lots of therapy and possibly 2 surgeries.) I am only a sophomore in college.

(now to my problem/wonder...)
I am possibly transferring to a closer school to home that does have a chapter from my sorority. I would love to be apart of the sorority if I do end up transferring. I was going to take online classes (I am this semester), but I have learned this is not the educational path I want to continue.

Is there any way possible that I can go un-ALUM at a new University and try to be apart of the sororities chapter on the campus?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmac97 View Post
HI!

(a little background...)
So I have an ankle injury that happened during the first semester of this school year and due to it, I went ALUM this past semester since I couldn't return to school in Ohio. (Lots of therapy and possibly 2 surgeries.) I am only a sophomore in college.

I am possibly transferring to a closer school to home that does have a chapter from my sorority. I would love to be apart of the sorority if I do end up transferring. I was going to take online classes (I am this semester), but I have learned this is not the educational path I want to continue.

Is there any way possible that I can go un-ALUM at a new University and try to be apart of the sororities chapter on the campus?
That is very specific policy for each sorority. Contact your HQ and they will have all of the answers for you. Much better idea than just having us guess here. I bet that if you left your chapter with all of your dues & fees paid up, you will be able to affiliate with your chapter at the new school.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2018, 06:45 AM
GreekChat Member

(From Previous posts, she is an AOII, not sure if anyone has that specific information)
Old 03-01-2018, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

You want to be "a part" of the sorority; not "apart". The latter means you want to be separated from the sorority.

Sorry. Pet peeve.

As thetalady said, contact your HQ - they will be able to give you more information specific to your sorority.

Good luck to you!

@~/~~~~
Old 03-01-2018, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmac97 View Post
HI!

(a little background...)

I would contact IHQ for the specifics, what I do know is that we don't require transfers to be voted on by the new chapter, but you have to make sure you left your old chapter in good standing (aka owing no money, etc.) IHQ will have to undo your alum status and return you to active status, but they'll be able to provide more info. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2018, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I always suggest that before affiliating, the new student gets to know the chapter. Call 'em up and tell 'em you are on campus. Hang out, get to know the girls there.
They might be VERY different from your old chapter. You may all get along together - wonderful! So you affiliate.
Or...they're totally unlike your old chapter, and you're not happy. If you've affiliated, the only way to get out of the mess is to resign, which means you would NOT be an alum - you'd be a non-member. If you hadn't affiliated, at least you would still have your alumnae status.
So...I would suggest to go slow and see how things work out.
Good luck!