GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 838
0 members and 838 guests
No Members online

Old 06-05-2015, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizey7 View Post
The way you phrase that is really offensive. A lot of people on this site advise that, before rushing for a sorority, you do research. Have you ever thought that maybe the reason I know so much about this sorority is because I have done my research or maybe even rushed before?
Clemsongirl was nice. Stop acting like you are an expert on the organizations at your university. Maybe you should step away from the keyboard and take a seat as you prepare for recruitment. When you become a member, then by all means, return and tell us about what your organization is doing. The way you are talking about these groups as if you are "in the know" gives an obsessive and clingy vibe. Ask for advice. That's a great idea. Just stop talking about these organizations like you are a member. Clemsongirl and almost everyone else on here is already Greek. You are not. Take the advice and just stop.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
You should stop by there Lisa!! Since you were at the presentation, did they talk about housing at all? I know Tri Sigma joined Drexel a couple years ago, and I'm not sure they have housing yet. DPhiE was the last sorority to join to get in on the available housing I think.

Of course, no matter who comes to Drexel, they'll have an amazing experience, because that campus is just a class act. Really Panhellenically minded...I think because of their one Greek Advisor, Katie, who is on ZTA's national NPC delegation. She's so great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIILisa View Post
Thanks, shadowkat - Drexel can't go wrong with any of the groups presenting, although of course, I hope we get it - and I did see some girls in DPhiE letters when I was there. We are actually a northern sorority as far as where we were founded (Barnard in NYC) but then a few of the next chapters founded were in the south. Our presenter just happened to be from the south but they really liked her, it seemed.

Fun fact - the DPhiE HQ is a few blocks away from my office!
Old 06-05-2015, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Clemsongirl was nice. Stop acting like you are an expert on the organizations at your university. Maybe you should step away from the keyboard and take a seat as you prepare for recruitment. When you become a member, then by all means, return and tell us about what your organization is doing. The way you are talking about these groups as if you are "in the know" gives an obsessive and clingy vibe. Ask for advice. That's a great idea. Just stop talking about these organizations like you are a member. Clemsongirl and almost everyone else on here is already Greek. You are not. Take the advice and just stop.
I've been asking for advice. I am still waiting for someone to respond to my last question regarding advice
Old 06-05-2015, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Alright. Based on what you have read regarding my posts in the threads on this site, what advice can you give me?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
She was responding to NoDak, who presumably hadn't read your other posts and didn't realize you are a PNM, not a member. And, NoDak probably hadn't read that you had already gone through recruitment and hadn't received a bid from this sorority. Clemsongirl's comments indicated that she had read your other posts, and was aware of your situation.

It's time to err on the side of discretion. Discrete research is fine; appropriate levels of enthusiasm are fine. The helpful "PNM advice" you've been given here and in other threads is to scale your public enthusiasm back a bit. "Chill" might be a good word for it.
Chances are I will act like this during rush, but I obviously don't want to. Do you have any advice based on what I have written in other threads?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

You don't need to quote every response and you don't need to ask for advice three posts in a row. Let's start with that.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

elizey7, please step away from the keyboard. Mercury is in retrograde and if you don't know what that means, research it. We do want you to succeed and we are not big meanies. No need to derail this thread. Hope that most of these off-topic posts will disappear (including mine).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-08-2015, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
You should stop by there Lisa!! Since you were at the presentation, did they talk about housing at all? I know Tri Sigma joined Drexel a couple years ago, and I'm not sure they have housing yet. DPhiE was the last sorority to join to get in on the available housing I think.

Of course, no matter who comes to Drexel, they'll have an amazing experience, because that campus is just a class act. Really Panhellenically minded...I think because of their one Greek Advisor, Katie, who is on ZTA's national NPC delegation. She's so great.
I'm going to be back in that neighborhood Wed. evening to have drinks with one of my AOII sisters, so maybe I'll stop in! As far as housing goes, we did discuss that, our reps said that we would try to get housing for the chapter. Not sure how that will happen if there's nothing available, though.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:31 PM

Alpha Tau Omega has closed their Indiana State University chapter due to RMF.

http://wishtv.com/2015/06/09/suspend...id-violations/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-13-2015, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope this is the right place to post this question, but does anyone know if Texas A&M is open for expansion or if there are plans to expand the sorority houses? I read from one of the posts somewhere that quota was like in the 50s and then went up to 67 and then to 90 or something crazy like that. My rec writer noted that the number of recs that she's had to write for girls going to A&M has pretty much doubled in the past 3 years! Does anyone know if A&M plans on keeping really large PCs or if they're open for expansion?
Old 06-13-2015, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

All I know regarding A&M is that their local Zeta Beta Sigma is being absorbed by Alpha Epsilon Phi. The local is a jewish sorority, so, I don't know if AEPhi will participate in formal recruitment or choose to opt out like they and SDT do at some other schools.

I'm sure if/when A&M opens, there will be many NPCs interested
Old 06-16-2015, 02:55 PM

An article from Florida International University about the growth of their Greek system. They will be adding two new fraternities this year, Delta Sigma Phi (Fall) and Delta Upsilon (Spring). The article mentions that Panhellenic "will be looking to establish an exploratory committee to consider the extension".

This is an example that, yes, FIU is possibly going to open for expansion, but I will not list it until they officially open for expansion.

http://news.fiu.edu/2015/06/plans-fo...ity-life/89198

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-16-2015, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Ag Sis. I am President of a House Corp at A&M. It is my understanding from our chapter Panhellenic adviser that the discussion of expansion will be on the agenda for this Fall.
The girls have been told to prepare for a pledge class of 110.
Again, this is not "carved in stone" but the sources are valid. I know they tabled expansion discussion late this Spring for the Fall semester.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

What is usually the criteria for opening for expansion at a uni? Sustained and continued growth for 3+ years? Ensuring that all chapters can fill quota and stay at total? Ensuring that X% of girls who go through rush don't decide to drop voluntarily?

Wouldn't there also be a big power imbalance if the upperclassmen have ~100 girls and the underclassmen (freshmen + sophomore) have ~200? What are the dynamics of explosive growth at other schools around the country?

I'm really excited for recruitment but also a teeny bit worried that Panhellenic and the sororities themselves may not be prepared for big numbers. But I'm sure they have a plan, right? :P
Old 06-16-2015, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Just interested, do you know if aphi still owns their house?