GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,353
2 members and 2,351 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-20-2000, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Buying Your Friends . . .

Just curious, how do all of you handle the criticism of greeks as "buying friends"? I know everyone must've been faced with this idea, how do you handle it. I know I read one really great response to this a while back.

NO FLAMES -- just want to know how you handle it when it comes up.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-21-2000, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I've gotten alot of the "buying friends" attitude and I am not even in an organization. Once my friends heard about my decision to rush it was all they talked about. At first I was a little upset because they are suppose to be supportive, but you must remember that many people are very judgemental esp. about things they don't know alot about. I have learned to just take their word with a grain of salt.

Besides, if Greek organizations were so horrible then why are so many intelligent people apart of them?

Allison

------------------
A mistake at least proves that somebody stopped talking long enough to do something.
~ Anonymous
Old 05-21-2000, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I dont pay for my friends, I pay for the functions of my organization and my participation in them. I pay to financially support an organization that I love. Its very similar to giving money in the collection plate at church, except that (for greeks) a given amount from each member is required to keep the organization financially stable.
Old 05-21-2000, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Lightbulb

My dues (both as an undergrad and as an alum) are incredibly inexpenisve, enough to cover the essentials. I would agree w/ greekgirl on how the money is (well)spent.

I read this quote somewhere (maybe here, who knows) that made me grin

If I paid for my friends, I certainly didn't pay enough

While I don't think I paid for my friends, I can understand and appreciate that sentiment!

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 05-22-2000, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I posted a response to this a while back, but I am always pleased to give it again. So many people out there don't realize what goes on behind the scenes. Greek organizations take a lot of time, energy, and yes money. But what am I paying for really?

Indirectly

1) Lifetime membership into a national organization that supports not only local community service, but gives national aid as well.

2) Advancement in Leadership/Commitment skills

3) Networking

4) Resume builder (lots of employers like to see both social and professional organziations on resumes)

5) Organizational/Management skills (involving balancing school work, social life, extracaricular activities, clubs/greek organizations)

6) Life long sisters/brothers

The latter people have a problem with. But let me enlighten the few that really want to know the answer to this question. Just because we are members of a greek organization doesn't mean that we are best friends with all our sisters and brothers. But we DO have respect for them all. The facts are, you get a room of 30+ girls/boys and there is no way you are going to see eye to eye with every one of them. We don't fool ourselves into believing that we all will automatically click either. The reason why we got bids/invites is because the majority of the organziation saw something in us that they liked and thought could benifit thier organization. While pledging you are constantly proving yourself and how you can continue to benifit the organization in the future. You don't instantaniously become friends with everyone either. This is something you have to earn, like respect. As the process continues, respect grows as does friendships. Because you are a member of the organization, you will be backed by all the members, but on a more personal level, you might not be great friends with every member. Now that I cleared that up. . .

Directly

1) Dues (fraternities and sororities don't pay for themselves)

2) Insurance

3) House repairs (if there is a house)

4) Room rental (if you have to rent a room for your meetings)

5) Necessities (pens, pencils, paper. . .)

6) Badges and such

7) Other expensese that each individual sorority/fraternity might have

I hope that clears some things up.

------------------
Mikki Gates
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

--Julia Roberts
(Steel Magnolias)

Visit me at:
http://homepages.go.com/~dzkm433/index.html
and
http://www.calypso.com/dzkm433/welcomtomyworld.chtml
Old 05-22-2000, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, what if you live in the dorms and you make friends there? You have to pay to live in the dorms, don't you? Would these morons consider that "paying" for their friends? Of course not. So these bitter people should just shut up and mind their own business, and stop saying stupid crap like "you guys buy your friends." It makes no sense.
Old 05-22-2000, 01:16 PM

If people go greek so that they can buy some friends then I think I missed my check for becoming friends with all of our new members!

Your "friends" are idiots who are probably just jealous. I'm sure that they have paid to join an organization before. How about the college you are both attending? You sure pay a lot to go and you probably made so friends there.
Old 05-23-2000, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I have gotten the buying friends things a lot. and how i see it, is that i pay to be in an organization, similar to paying to be on a rec-sport team, or a club not funded by the school. everything needs to be paid for at some time, and for me it isn't my friends. a lot of the friends that i have made because of being greek were in another organization. you meet people outside of what you are and i would like someone to explain to me how i would be paying for them.
Old 05-25-2000, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Its something they'll never be elite enough to understand. I tell them that the money goes to the fraternity not to buy friends. ITs a necessity to pay for dues. Next time ask them...since you pay for school are you paying for the friends you make there?

--Eric