GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,455
1 members and 1,454 guests
No Members online

Old 12-30-2006, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

What do people think about ethnic GLOs

I've always knew I was going to join an Asian fraternity growing up, maybe because of close peers and classmates in High School.

So when I got to the University of Texas, it was a no brainer. I've been active for a year now, and expect to be President soon. While my goal is to keep expanding and getting more Nationally recognized, I can't help to wonder: What do other organizations think about us?

The other night, this house across the street from us were approached by police cars because of a noise complaint. They blamed it on us, and walked with the officers to knock on our door. I just couldn't stop thinking about what these big fraternities would think about a smaller ethnic one. What do you guys think? Men in larger organizations, I was hoping to hear your opinions the most.

Last edited by jaynu; 12-30-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-30-2006, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

My personal opinion is that it strongly conflicts with the traditional southern fraternities. They're usually incredibly new (including the BGLO's), don't support traditional southern style, and do not attract the needed attention from the campus as a whole. That being said, I think they are necessary in campuses which are naturally de facto segregated. They provide a place for the ethnics which they would not regularly get in the traditional fraternity.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
the ethnics
This is "object language" that is objectifying and offensive. If you're talking about racial and ethnic minorities, just type that.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I realize that.
This contradicts this:

Quote:
I also realize that you're a tool if you consider it offensive.
If you realize that it's "object language" then it's smallminded to act is if someone's a tool for being offended by something you intended to be objectifying and dehumanizing. I'm not offended by what you type because you're you. But if you go out into the real world and use that type of language to get your rocks off, you need to understand what you're perpetuating. If you don't care, then just say you don't care as opposed to pretending that no one should care.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 12-30-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My personal opinion is that it strongly conflicts with the traditional southern fraternities.Don't support traditional southern style, and do not attract the needed attention from the campus as a whole.

Can you elaborate on those statements?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My personal opinion is that it strongly conflicts with the traditional southern fraternities. They're usually incredibly new (including the BGLO's), don't support traditional southern style, and do not attract the needed attention from the campus as a whole. That being said, I think they are necessary in campuses which are naturally de facto segregated. They provide a place for the ethnics which they would not regularly get in the traditional fraternity.
This is the first time I have heard BGLOs described as 'new'. I mean some have been around for almost a century!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyred View Post
This is the first time I have heard BGLOs described as 'new'. I mean some have been around for almost a century!
Apparently being around for 80 - 100 years is "new" now....
Old 12-30-2006, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My personal opinion is that it strongly conflicts with the traditional southern fraternities.
Just curious, but what are traditional southern fraternities? Are they only the ones founded in the south, like SAE or KA (Order)? If you are a DKE or a Zete at a southern school, does that not count?

Just curious.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilance1922 View Post
Apparently being around for 80 - 100 years is "new" now....
Compared to several which are over 250 years old, yeah it's new. A chapter founded a century ago at many southern campuses is considered new row.

By traditionally southern fraternities, I mean fraternities who don't do step shows and take pride in the social aspect rather than the philanthropic aspect. Furthermore, fraternities who have usually had houses for over a hundred years and so on. I can go in great detail, but I don't think it's necessary to enumerate.

It is not important for these fraternities to be founded in the south (See: DKE at Alabama), but it is important for them to consider traditional southern values as important.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it really depends on the organization jaynu. Certain organizations have certain reputations or "stereotypes" for their membership.

Frankly, I could care less what the "mainstream" Greeks think of "ethnic" Greek organizations. The reason "ethnic" Greeks exist is because of the "mainstream" Greeks conservatism and de jure and then de facto segregation.

BGLOs, LGLOs, AGLOs, to me, serve a HUGE purpose because they provide members of those groups with organizations that give back to their communities and provide brotherhood/sisterhood for their members.

As for what people think of your organization, I really don't know since I don't know who you are a part of. However, some Asian Greeks have earned a reputation as being very similar to gangs because of the inter-organization rivalry (see 2003 SJSU LPhiE & PAPhi fight).

Asian Greeks are "new", and the vibe I get from not just mainstream but also BGLOs and LGLOs is not exactly respect. Respect is earned, and in time, I think AGLOs will be among the most respected in the country, but it is going to require their members working towards the goals of their respective organizations and really being leaders within the APIA community.

Just my .02.
National APIA Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Vice-Chair
Old 12-30-2006, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Compared to several which are over 250 years old, yeah it's new. A chapter founded a century ago at many southern campuses is considered new row.

By traditionally southern fraternities, I mean fraternities who don't do step shows and take pride in the social aspect rather than the philanthropic aspect. Furthermore, fraternities who have usually had houses for over a hundred years and so on. I can go in great detail, but I don't think it's necessary to enumerate.

It is not important for these fraternities to be founded in the south (See: DKE at Alabama), but it is important for them to consider traditional southern values as important.
I don't care about "traditional" or "southern" fraternities. The only orgs I care about are all members of the NPHC.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

PDP, my friends pledges yall at Stony Brook...

While our parties have attracted the mainstream at the University, I sometimes feel that we've (all three AGLOs at UT) have been limited to being semesterly entertainment. I've talked to my affiliated friends around the country and can't help but notice that the main things expected of Asian organizations have been parties, performances hosted by Asian organizations, and random hazing acts.

I really feel that other organizations, and even the University in particular, don't take the Philanthropies, community involvement, and the simple concept of a Greek organization done by AGLOs seriously.

How do you guys perceive the Asian organizations on your campuses? Thanks, everyone, for the insight.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynu View Post
PDP, my friends pledges yall at Stony Brook...

While our parties have attracted the mainstream at the University, I sometimes feel that we've (all three AGLOs at UT) have been limited to being semesterly entertainment. I've talked to my affiliated friends around the country and can't help but notice that the main things expected of Asian organizations have been parties, performances hosted by Asian organizations, and random hazing acts.

I really feel that other organizations, and even the University in particular, don't take the Philanthropies, community involvement, and the simple concept of a Greek organization done by AGLOs seriously.

How do you guys perceive the Asian organizations on your campuses? Thanks, everyone, for the insight.
I had never seen an AGLO until I found GC...neither my undergraduate or graduate campuses had any AGLO's.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilance1922 View Post
I don't care about "traditional" or "southern" fraternities. The only orgs I care about are all members of the NPHC.
....okay?

Do you want a cookie for that? I only care about traditional southern fraternities. It doesn't really matter. You asked how I could consider BGLO's new and I told you why they are incredibly new.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
....okay?

Do you want a cookie for that? I only care about traditional southern fraternities. It doesn't really matter. You asked how I could consider BGLO's new and I told you why they are incredibly new.
You're an idiot.

Do me a favor and put me on ignore. Please.