GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,784
2 members and 1,782 guests
No Members online

Old 09-15-2003, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

What Happens When an Active Dies of Alcohol Poisoning

This happened very recently to a fraternity at my school. I'm not going to name what organization, but I am curious to know what has happened at other schools

- chapter wise
- IFC wise
- University wise
Old 09-15-2003, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sigep533 Send a message via AIM to sigep533 Send a message via Yahoo to sigep533
i suppose its not from forcefulness if it was an active but im sure there will be some dealings from the uni and ifc...possibly nationals
Old 09-15-2003, 10:50 AM

Depends entirely on the circumstances. Was he drinking in the house? At a chapter event? At a party? By himself? With friends? Was he of age?

There are a lot of dynamics to consider before figuring out the ramifications.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

It was during calling out.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

What is "calling out"?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Calling Out is the final part of rush where rushees "jump" houses. All chapters are in the quad and rushees run and jump into the house they want to join.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I am a fan of hard alcohol. But I am starting to think that Fraternities and sororities should only have wine and beer at events, even formals.

It would be awfully hard to kill yourself with wine and beer, you would probably drown first.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squashfly3
Quote:
Originally posted by James
I am a fan of hard alcohol. But I am starting to think that Fraternities and sororities should only have wine and beer at events, even formals.

It would be awfully hard to kill yourself with wine and beer, you would probably drown first.
i find this very hard to believe....perhaps from your perspective a few beers are harmless but there are many people out there who that is not true for. if you do not have a tolerance for drinking beer and wine can do just as much harm as any other type of alcohol.
and as for this topic...i'm sure that your university will take some strong action if some died during rushing. the frat may have the possibility of being closed down or even kicked off campus. at my school the greeks were de-recognized during the 80's because someone died due to hazing.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:48 PM

I don't think that James is intimating that beer and wine are harmless. But simply due to gross volume and also volume of alcohol, I think it's more difficult for the average drinker to get to the point of alcohol poisoning drinking beer and wine than drinking shots.

To put it more clearly. You have to drink more beer and wine to get the same volume of alcohol, and thus get full quicker.

Of course, that would depend on your tolerance for alcohol and how big your stomach is.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 09-15-2003 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
This happened at my school in the mid 90s with a national fraternity chapter. The national organization shut them down immediately, and took all of their stuff related to the fraternity. The University immediately withdrew all recognition of the fraternity as a campus organization, as did IFC. They got sued big time by the parents of the young man (chapter, national, university, chapter members). The group still exists on campus, not recognized, as a local fraternity, and does better than most in recruiting members.

Incidentally, the young man died from funnelling a fifth of vodka.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squashfly3
not to sound harsh...but really how stupid do you have to be to funnel a fifth of vodka!?!?!?
Old 09-15-2003, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James

That is an idea that I hadn't thought about. But I kinda like it because it makes sense. A way of curbing the worst behaviors.

Incidently several areas of Texas are only allowed to sell beer and wine. No hard alcohol. (Some areas are completely dry )
Old 09-15-2003, 04:45 PM

This happened at my school, although it was a pledge, not an active, who died. He had the equivalent of 16 drinks in his system when he was admitted to the hospital (which was a few hours after he first lost consciousness) - he spent 2 days in a coma and then died. I believe he was 18 or 19 - definitely underage.

The school immediately revoked its recognition of the fraternity chapter.

The national fraternity also revoked the chapter's charter, as well as passing a resolution that all chapters should go dry within 4 years.

The pledge's parents sued the chapter. This was a mistake as the chapter effectively ceased to exist once the school and national fraternity revoked recognition.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
This happened at my school, although it was a pledge, not an active, who died. He had the equivalent of 16 drinks in his system when he was admitted to the hospital (which was a few hours after he first lost consciousness) - he spent 2 days in a coma and then died. I believe he was 18 or 19 - definitely underage.

The school immediately revoked its recognition of the fraternity chapter.

The national fraternity also revoked the chapter's charter, as well as passing a resolution that all chapters should go dry within 4 years.

The pledge's parents sued the chapter. This was a mistake as the chapter effectively ceased to exist once the school and national fraternity revoked recognition.
You're talking about the Scott Kruger incident, right?

This ended up being a huge deal for all Boston schools - I heard about the incident when I was at freshman orientation, and it has been constantly referred to while I've been in Boston, especially by advisors when I was an undergrad in the chapter.

The affects of Kruger's death are still being felt throughout the Greek system all over Boston.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I am sure, that this was not felt only through Mass. Schools, but all over GreekDom!

Damn, what does it take for the Members of Active Chapters to come to the conclusion that this is still going on today.

Just where are the Responsable Members of the Chapter at to let this happen? Why dont they put a stop to it when they see it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni