GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,494
1 members and 1,493 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 11-04-2021, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Lawmakers question UNC-Chapel Hill over diversity program for Greek members

https://www.wral.com/lawmakers-quest...8/?version=amp

Quote:
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Dozens of state lawmakers sent a letter this week to University of North Carolina officials questioning the "indoctrination" that was part of a diversity program that UNC-Chapel Hill fraternity and sorority members recently attended.

"It is reckless and irresponsible to promote the theory that a person (in this case a college student) should feel guilty simply because their skin is a certain color," Rep. Jon Hardister, R-Guilford, wrote in a Nov. 1 letter to UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz.

Copies of the letter, which was co-signed by 52 other Republican House members and 18 Republican senators, were sent to UNC President Peter Hans and members of the UNC Board of Governors and the UNC-Chapel Hill Board of Trustees.
Officials with several fraternities and sororities declined to comment Thursday when WRAL News stopped at their houses. One student who spoke privately said about 30 members of each fraternity and sorority were required to attend the session, and the speaker's tone was very aggressive.

Officials with Social Responsibility Speaks didn't respond to WRAL's request for comment.

Cassie Hughes Thomas, assistant director of Fraternity and Sorority Life at UNC-Chapel Hill, said no one was required to attend the diversity program, which is part of a series requested last year by some chapters. The fraternities and sororities themselves set "general levels of required participation for each chapter," which is usually flexible, she said.

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-05-2021, 12:31 AM

If chapters attending this speaker was part of a school accreditation program for GLOs then it is more or less “required.”

LMAO about the top shelf and left handed “oppression” parts. If we’re going to talk oppression let’s talk about the fact that I was shopping at Ulta one day and had to go back to the car to get my reading glasses. Giant print for old people dammit!
Old 11-05-2021, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If chapters attending this speaker was part of a school accreditation program for GLOs then it is more or less “required.”

LMAO about the top shelf and left handed “oppression” parts. If we’re going to talk oppression let’s talk about the fact that I was shopping at Ulta one day and had to go back to the car to get my reading glasses. Giant print for old people dammit!
I love it! You need to get one of those eyeglass chains that go around your neck or just push the up onto your head for constant access...unless you're like me and forget you've done that. Then you walk around the house saying "what did I do with my glasses - I just had them". 😁
Old 11-05-2021, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

That's telling those speakers, Representative Hardister. Speakers may only tell students what YOU want them to be told. No furtherance of critical learning through thinking for these young, impressionable minds! It's too difficult for students to grasp right and true from wrong and false, they must ONLY be taught that which YOU deem correct.

A mind that makes its own decisions based on an evaluation of multiple sources of information wastes its time.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
That's telling those speakers, Representative Hardister. Speakers may only tell students what YOU want them to be told. No furtherance of critical learning through thinking for these young, impressionable minds! It's too difficult for students to grasp right and true from wrong and false, they must ONLY be taught that which YOU deem correct.

A mind that makes its own decisions based on an evaluation of multiple sources of information wastes its time.
Because seminars run by Social Responsibility speaks are going to be *SO* accepting of diverse viewpoints, dontcha know....