GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,222
0 members and 1,222 guests
No Members online

Old 09-21-2021, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

ONGOING RECRUITMENT ISSUES

This was recently on reddit and I am putting it here because the recruitment practices are continuing, according to this poster.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sororities/...eb2x&context=3

What is it going to take for the minions (and the masses) to wake up and see that the emperor has no clothes? Now I'll wait for the attacks calling me a bully. Seriously. I'm sick about what's happening to this fine organization. If you're not enraged, you should be. This affects all of us.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-21-2021, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Hear, hear.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

All the minions / masses who have woken up have been exiled. The emperor has been told she has no clothes. She just doesn't care and pushes the minions out of the volunteer ranks. It's putrid. Alpha Phi is rotting from the inside out.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:38 AM

The only thing that’s going to work is if a large group of chapters turn in their charters and start a new organization with a mind to being the 27th NPC group.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The only thing that’s going to work is if a large group of chapters turn in their charters and start a new organization with a mind to being the 27th NPC group.
Unfortunately, while I think that would work with the NIC, I'm not sure the NPC's bylaws would allow that. Let's say the new organization is Beta Phi, and half of Alpha Phi's chapters turn in their charters and join the new group. The question is whether or not a chapter that has been an active chapter of Alpha Phi for 40 years would count as being active for that long in Beta Phi's application. Someone here on greekchat would know the NPC rules better than I.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
This was recently on reddit and I am putting it here because the recruitment practices are continuing, according to this poster.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sororities/...eb2x&context=3

What is it going to take for the minions (and the masses) to wake up and see that the emperor has no clothes? Now I'll wait for the attacks calling me a bully. Seriously. I'm sick about what's happening to this fine organization. If you're not enraged, you should be. This affects all of us.

I find it incredibly sad that the chapter in the Reddit story were not permitted to select their own sisters during formal recruitment. However I am thrilled that they were able to COB others that THEY wanted.

I am remembering back to the early eighties and the Alpha Phi sisters at my university who were a diverse group of women. That included the African American sister who my Preference hostess. Their then chapter Panhellenic representative actively encouraged our NPHC sororities to be participate in some of our Panhellenic activities community projects. Sadly, I'm not sure that with today's recruitment practices from the IEB that either would have been offered a bid or have been out on the recruitment floor.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

A chapter has every right to recruit the members they want. Does a nationals rep normally attend APhi formal rush?
Old 09-22-2021, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know how this policy evolved? Not asking for confidential info, but if anyone has some inkling.

I heard about this "looks" standard a few years ago when some of my Gamma Phi sisters had daughters rush at our alma mater, Arizona. Looking at pics of the Arizona Alpha Phi chapter, they seem to meet the standard in what the ELC wants - they all resemble each other, tall, long hair, very pretty. I noted the same look at one of their newest SEC chapters. I heard that Kourtney Khardashian was a member at the Arizona chapter years ago - wondering if that added a glamour factor that evolved into what we know now. I've heard that this is the chapter where this all began.

When I was at Arizona in the late 70's, Alpha Phi was a great group of girls with lots of academic talent, campus involvement, etc. And like all the chapters on campus - some very pretty girls, some cute, some a bit average, all solid sisters, not focused on looks. What a difference a few decades make.

Last edited by NYCMS; 09-23-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Anyone follow friendinheaven on instagram? The account posted a TikTok from Alabama in stories today.
Yes. I follow this account. It is good information. Everyone should follow that account IMO if they want to better understand how and why Alpha Phi is what it is. Creepy and horrible to its volunteers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
Does anyone know how this policy evolved? Not asking for confidential info, but if anyone has some inkling.

I heard about this "looks" standard a few years ago when some of my Gamma Phi sisters had daughters rush at our alma mater, Arizona. Looking at pics of the Arizona Alpha Phi chapter, they seem to meet the standard in what the EOC wants - they all resemble each other, tall, long hair, very pretty. I noted the same look exactly at one of their newest SEC chapters. One thing I heard about the Arizona chapter is that Kourtney Khardashian was a member years ago - wondering if that added a glamour factor that evolved into what we know now.

When I was at Arizona in the late 70's, Alpha Phi was a great group of girls with lots of academic talent, campus involvement, etc. Attractive, but like all the chapters on campus - some very pretty girls, some cute, some a bit average, but all solid sisters, not focused on looks. What a difference some decades make.
If you go to the Link Tree account thingy for @FriendInHeaven, you can find all the documentation. I think the most comprehensive explanation is the Michigan blog post. It's long but is very comprehensive. There are other good documents there. There are also some good discussions on this topic elsewhere in GreekChat.

There are also some threads on Reddit that are pretty good reading. Of course, that is where the OP got the initial link for this thread. But there are other threads on Reddit as well.

That should keep you busy for a while.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone follow friendinheaven on instagram? The account posted a TikTok from Alabama in stories today.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

This is weird since a friend's daughter joined APhi at Bama.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sororities/...nal_executive/

This is the friendsinheaven letter to the IEB of Alpha Phi. It's a great read.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story