GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Omicron Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,274
5 members and 1,269 guests
John, MethrenLusia, Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 10-28-2013, 05:10 AM
GreekChat Member

2015 Boise State Recolonization

Hi! I'm currently in community college, but planning to transfer to Boise State in 2 years, after my GE is finished, which just happens to be when AOII will be recolonizing at BSU. Anyway, I know there are some things you can't tell me, but as someone with a curiosity toward AOII, I will admit I am a bit curious about the recolonization process, and was wondering what you CAN tell me about it.

Last edited by sarahmass94; 05-23-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

There are a TON of threads here about colonizations. It works the same (as far as you're concerned) for AOII and for every other NPC sorority. They will have a series of get to know you events, interviews with sorority leaders (headquarters women, local alumnae, traveling consultants, etc., depending on who they have available), then they will offer bids, you'll have a pledge ceremony, and then you (should you be so lucky) will begin several weeks of controlled chaos as you prepare your colony to become a chapter.

It's a great opportunity for you and the timing seems good, but don't put all of your eggs in that basket. While your chances are greater as a junior with a colony, I would still go through the formal recruitment process first, partly to give you a better feel for the what sorority life is all about and partly to make sure that you haven't discounted one option in favor of the other. Because, contrary to us saying it until we're blue in the face, membership in a colony is NOT guaranteed.

If you go on Facebook and look at the various sorority colony pages (Alpha Xi Delta at Michigan State had a good one, and you can follow the Alpha Xi Delta at Oklahoma State one, which doesn't happen until next fall but the page is already up and running. Both just as examples from my sorority) you'll get an idea of the process and the result.

Good luck, keep your grades up, get involved and include leadership roles as well as behind the scenes (worker bee) roles. And get good at explaining yourself and what makes you awesome, in a subtle and non-arrogant way.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks I certainly hope it didn't seem like I had an AOII or nothing state of mind.. I do plan to go through formal recruitment when the time comes, and I know to go through with an open mind, which I plan on doing. I just know that from talking to different sorority women, seeing what sororities different girls I've known throughout my life have ended up in, and reading the different NPC sororities' websites (and yes, I have in fact read most, if not all of the websites...), I seem to find the most connection with AOII (so far). Although I am fully aware that such things can and may change, just as they have for hundreds, if not thousands of PNMs before me.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully we will be colonizing at that time. The timing is tentative since Tri delta goes first, and AOII and the Boise State Greek system will determine when the best time for us to colonize after that. 2015 would realistically be the earliest time, but it could be later as we can't really predict how interest will hold up over the next few years. We can keep our fingers crossed that interest in Greek life continues on the trajectory that we have seen over the last few years, but I predict that it will slow down at some point. That's why the stacked colonizations come with caveats.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooh.. Then I suppose I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for now haha
Old 10-28-2013, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmass94 View Post
Thanks I certainly hope it didn't seem like I had an AOII or nothing state of mind.. I do plan to go through formal recruitment when the time comes, and I know to go through with an open mind, which I plan on doing. I just know that from talking to different sorority women, seeing what sororities different girls I've known throughout my life have ended up in, and reading the different NPC sororities' websites (and yes, I have in fact read most, if not all of the websites...), I seem to find the most connection with AOII (so far). Although I am fully aware that such things can and may change, just as they have for hundreds, if not thousands of PNMs before me.
Keep in mind that you want to make connections with the actual chapter members at Boise State; not with the symbols, colors, and mascots on a website. Don't get so attached to AOPi over the next couple years that you fail to get to know the sisters in the other sororities. You would hate to put AOPi on such a high pedestal, not give the other chapters a chance, and find yourself in a colony with members that you don't fit in with at all.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-28-2013, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I see what you're saying, and I plan to follow your advice (even before you advised it), just as I stated in my previous response. I appreciate the comments and advice I'm receiving, but just to reiterate, this post was intended to help me understand the (re)colonization process as much as I am allowed to..
Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

If you want to understand the recolonization process more, I would go with what DubaiSis said and look at colonization threads from other chapters/schools because that'll be a good overview of how the process generally works for any NPC sorority. This is not a GC thread, but I think it's pretty good as far as timeline/what was expected out of that particular colonization at that school, even though it is talking about a double colonization.

I also found two posts on that same website that seem to be good reads based on what you're asking about: "Colonization and PNMS...is it for you?" and "Is colonization for you?".

I'm not familiar with the Boise State campus and how competitive recruitment is there, so I cannot give any specific advice about it. However, despite the fact that you will be a junior, I would encourage you to look into and try to get to know all of the chapters on campus before you make the decision about what's best for you. Who knows, you just might find your home in one of the already established chapters on the campus, so it's best to give them a chance too.

I think what I have seen as one of the biggest advantages of joining a colony (from some of my close friends who joined a Fraternity that was colonizing on my campus while I was there) is that the members really get to build the house from the ground up and establish themselves on campus. It's a special process and seemed like a wonderful experience for them from what I saw as an outsider looking in.

Keep in mind what AOII Angel said about the earliest time AOII recolonizing being 2015. Right now there's no way to know for sure how that timeline will pan out, but I certainly hope we come back to Boise State in 2015!
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! And I really hope my last comment didn't come across as rude! I really had no intention to be rude!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey there! I just went through the recruitment process for the recolonization of the AOII Alpha Rho chapter at Oregon State University a few weeks ago as a junior transfer student, so I can share some of my experiences. For us, they did interviews in groups of three or four with an AOII from headquarters and a current AOII member of another chapter. Nothing high stress, just talked a little bit about ourselves and got more info on AOII. Later that day was the "Picture Yourself In AOII" event, where we got to meet other girls going through recruitment and use a photo booth with props. The next day was Preference, where you get a little dressed up and you meet more girls. At both of these events, you get to talk to current AOII members and women from headquarters. That next day, they called us to extend bids, and then the colonization ceremony was that night. That was really great, because not a lot of people in the Greek community get to experience that.

So anyway, I'd really encourage you to go for it. I'd assume it would be just as competitive at BSU as it is here at OSU (read: not very), and as long as you're friendly at all the events, it should be a really positive experience for you. I just went on a sisterhood retreat today and it really made me SO glad to be an AOII. Really, I think there are a lot of perks to colonizing, although there are drawbacks (mostly just our houselessness!)

Hope this helped, good luck!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean15 View Post
Hey there! I just went through the recruitment process for the recolonization of the AOII Alpha Rho chapter at Oregon State University a few weeks ago as a junior transfer student, so I can share some of my experiences. For us, they did interviews in groups of three or four with an AOII from headquarters and a current AOII member of another chapter. Nothing high stress, just talked a little bit about ourselves and got more info on AOII. Later that day was the "Picture Yourself In AOII" event, where we got to meet other girls going through recruitment and use a photo booth with props. The next day was Preference, where you get a little dressed up and you meet more girls. At both of these events, you get to talk to current AOII members and women from headquarters. That next day, they called us to extend bids, and then the colonization ceremony was that night. That was really great, because not a lot of people in the Greek community get to experience that.

So anyway, I'd really encourage you to go for it. I'd assume it would be just as competitive at BSU as it is here at OSU (read: not very), and as long as you're friendly at all the events, it should be a really positive experience for you. I just went on a sisterhood retreat today and it really made me SO glad to be an AOII. Really, I think there are a lot of perks to colonizing, although there are drawbacks (mostly just our houselessness!)

Hope this helped, good luck!
Please, please, do not make those kinds of assumptions and statements… please. Honestly, although you want to be helpful and encouraging, you also don't want to extend a generalization that promises something based on your experience at your campus. Every colonization is unique. Here at Arizona, the colonization of AXO was extremely competitive! I've read about other colonizations being as competitive or more competitive than formal recruitment.

AOIIs can holler at me for saying that they will be competitive (), and maybe I am wrong; I can take it. I am writing this for the OP and any other PNMs who are reading.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-29-2013, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Boise State

I currently attend Boise State University and in the Greek System here. If you have any question specifically about the Boise State system feel free to ask away. As far as Alpha Omicron Pi is concerned I know that it's a POSSIBILITY they will be coming Fall 2015. They stated that if our numbers remain consistent then they will come join us at that time. Tri Delta will be joining our campus Fall 2014.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone. Forgot about this post, so I didn't see any of the new replies until just now, so sorry for not responding earlier!