GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,447
2 members and 1,445 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 06-29-2007, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Help with the "pledging process"

Last edited by Avery(bigboy); 07-03-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
You would be better served to discuss this with the members of the chapter or at the very least PM the moderator of the fraternity's forum here on GC.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

True story.

A gentleman emailed my alumni chapter inquiring about membership and saying that he had a sever stutter.

Off the top, he told me that email or in-person meetings were better than the phone, but if we met in person it would have to be in a group setting because he can barely talk in one-on-one situations.

Okay. Whatever. I'll do what I can to accommodate. But when it comes to my fraternity, you've got to impress me in the first place.

So I asked the guy to email me his resume so I could get to know what he's all about.

He sends his resume and some other stuff, including a brief letter of interest.

The letter was addressed to another chapter in my city -- not mine.

I hit delete.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery(bigboy) View Post
lol. wow. That was very dumb of him. Know what your doing before you do it lol.
If you only knew how much this applies to you right now...

I'ma help you out....cuz I'm bout to go on vacay..and I's happy
*ahem* *ahem*
it's not a good look to post your information on a public website about wanting to "pledge" an NPHC fraternity.
it's not a good look to be very specific in another specific nphc forum about your wanting to learn a new "skill" so that you could/would be prepared
it's a good look to talk with those members on your campus..the best way you know how..no pun intended
it's also a good get familar with the ways of GC prior to asking certain questions and what not
Old 07-03-2007, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you for your in-sight
Old 07-03-2007, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
True story.

A gentleman emailed my alumni chapter inquiring about membership and saying that he had a sever stutter.

Off the top, he told me that email or in-person meetings were better than the phone, but if we met in person it would have to be in a group setting because he can barely talk in one-on-one situations.

Okay. Whatever. I'll do what I can to accommodate. But when it comes to my fraternity, you've got to impress me in the first place.

So I asked the guy to email me his resume so I could get to know what he's all about.

He sends his resume and some other stuff, including a brief letter of interest.

The letter was addressed to another chapter in my city -- not mine.

I hit delete.
Okay, I get that his mess-up, coupled with his more complicated issues about meeting, is enough.

But is it simply that he didn't do enough research to realize it wasn't your chapter or did you think he knew it wasn't your chapter and he didn't care?

It's a subtle difference, but one that might matter to me if it were me, which of course, I realize it wasn't. I'm not trying to overstep my NPC limits.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
Okay, I get that his mess-up, coupled with his more complicated issues about meeting, is enough.

But is it simply that he didn't do enough research to realize it wasn't your chapter or did you think he knew it wasn't your chapter and he didn't care?

It's a subtle difference, but one that might matter to me if it were me, which of course, I realize it wasn't. I'm not trying to overstep my NPC limits.
I don't think it was either, actually.

He knew which chapter he was contacting when he initially emailed us. In our correspondence, he listed three different brothers from my chapter who he claimed he had conversations with.

And I dunno, I doubt he didn't "care" and left the other chapter in there.

However, I do think he was careless. It gave the appearance that he had been pursuing another chapter (actively) and switched midstream without making the necessary adjustments to his letter of interest.

I, personally, chose MY chapter over the other three alumni chapters in my city for a reason. I, again, personally, do not look kindly on those who seem to be chapter-hoppers.

I don't want a man who merely wants to be an Alpha. I want a man who wants to be an Alpha and a son of my chapter.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I don't think it was either, actually.

He knew which chapter he was contacting when he initially emailed us. In our correspondence, he listed three different brothers from my chapter who he claimed he had conversations with.

And I dunno, I doubt he didn't "care" and left the other chapter in there.

However, I do think he was careless. It gave the appearance that he had been pursuing another chapter (actively) and switched midstream without making the necessary adjustments to his letter of interest.

I, personally, chose MY chapter over the other three alumni chapters in my city for a reason. I, again, personally, do not look kindly on those who seem to be chapter-hoppers.

I don't want a man who merely wants to be an Alpha. I want a man who wants to be an Alpha and a son of my chapter.
I can see what you mean, I think. It'd be one thing if he had clearly communicated his preference for your chapter in the document, even if you later learned that he had narrowed it down from the pool of Alpha chapters. But for him to not even bother to indicate how important your chapter was by correctly placing it on the cover letter indicates an unacceptably low level of regard for the unique merits of your chapter.

Sometimes I really envy the active nature of Divine Nine alum chapters. But I do not think I could handle the intensity of an alum intake process that rivaled or maybe even exceeded the intensity of undergraduate. (I mean that I wouldn't be ready because it's not typical for us: I think that you bringing that kind of pride and intensity to it is commendable.)

Last edited by UGAalum94; 07-04-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Well thank you!

It doesn't feel intense when that's all you know.