GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 801
0 members and 801 guests
No Members online

Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

The capstone of any master's in history is a thesis. As for being able to teach middle/high school (public school at least) with an M.A. in History, I beg to differ. The job market in education has changed so drastically in the last 10 years. The poor economy and changes in legislation requiring all teachers to be Highly Qualified means that you really need to have a degree in education that will lead you to a regular teaching certificate. If the woman Honeychile is referring to has an undergrad degree in education, then she might be okay if she decides to teach as a career (I have no idea, just speculating ) However, today, social studies or history teaching positions are rare to find. Also, most administrators want to hire someone who is Highly Qualified (able to obtain regular teaching certificate, not temporary, has passed the state licensing exam in their content area, etc) so that they can make sure their school meets the mandates under No Child Left Behind. If anyone wants to have a shot at getting a job in education today, I would encourage them to seek certification in math, science, or special ed. SLP's also seem to be in high demand in my neck of the woods.

I graduated with a BA in History and decided right before graduation that I wanted to teach HS or MS social studies. I found out what I needed to do to qualify for a temporary teaching certificate in my state, fulfilled as many of the requirements as I could, and started applying and interviewing for teaching jobs. I couldn't find anything in Social Studies! I had to take a job as a paraprofessional and enrolled in a teacher ed program. (I decided to get certified in English and Social Studies to give myself options). I was hired the next school year to teach..English!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
The capstone of any master's in history is a thesis. As for being able to teach middle/high school (public school at least) with an M.A. in History, I beg to differ. The job market in education has changed so drastically in the last 10 years. The poor economy and changes in legislation requiring all teachers to be Highly Qualified means that you really need to have a degree in education that will lead you to a regular teaching certificate. If the woman Honeychile is referring to has an undergrad degree in education, then she might be okay if she decides to teach as a career (I have no idea, just speculating ) However, today, social studies or history teaching positions are rare to find. Also, most administrators want to hire someone who is Highly Qualified (able to obtain regular teaching certificate, not temporary, has passed the state licensing exam in their content area, etc) so that they can make sure their school meets the mandates under No Child Left Behind. If anyone wants to have a shot at getting a job in education today, I would encourage them to seek certification in math, science, or special ed. SLP's also seem to be in high demand in my neck of the woods.

I graduated with a BA in History and decided right before graduation that I wanted to teach HS or MS social studies. I found out what I needed to do to qualify for a temporary teaching certificate in my state, fulfilled as many of the requirements as I could, and started applying and interviewing for teaching jobs. I couldn't find anything in Social Studies! I had to take a job as a paraprofessional and enrolled in a teacher ed program. (I decided to get certified in English and Social Studies to give myself options). I was hired the next school year to teach..English!
Thanks for all of the info, Xidelt! The Canadian school system is quite different, a degree in education is mandatory without exception. Are there a lot of teachers with Master's, or is that a dying trend?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the state as to whether a Master's degree is required since education in the US is regulated more on the local level. I teach in Georgia, and a Master's is not required. However, many teachers go back to school for one because your pay increases with your level of education. I think most of my colleagues have a Master's degree. I grew up in New York state and they require a Master's to teach. I think you had 5 years from when you began teaching to finish your Master's. But I've been out of NY for several years now, so the time requirement may have changed.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post

This isn't the case in every state and it should be noted that the requirements for licensure vary state by state and often by grade level in those states.....they can also change in those states over time as I found out when I left my current state, let it lapse, and came back to renew.

In Oregon you could not get a license to teach secondary (5-12) without a degree in the primary subject you want to teach. You get a minor in education. You cannot teach high school history/social studies in this state (and as I recall this is true for Washington as well) without a history degree and you're not considered highly qualified in that subject at the secondary level without it. On the other hand, a Master's of Education is required to teach K-5 and in some cases 6-8 depending on how the middle school/junior high is set up.

I do agree that finding a teaching position at a school anywhere in the US armed with nothing more than a history/and or education degree/minor would be difficult (one of the reasons I changed my major). While I agree that math and science is much more marketable, that isn't much help for those of who aren't good at the subject and wouldn't have strong enough math and or science skills to major in it and teach it competently at a high school level.

I would advise someone who wants to teach history to add endorsements in special education/a language (preferably Spanish), and, if they have the time, a reading endorsement or another subject like English. The more you can do or "extras" you can take on the better.

Edit: Sorry you added the qualifier before I posted this.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for all of the suggestions! My friend is very impressed with all of the information & advice she's getting from you all.

She's currently teaching at a private school, while she decides about furthering her education, so teaching history wouldn't be beyond the pale. I also see her as a researcher in one field or another, once she gets into the program - and possibly going for her PhD eventually. I admire her tenacity tremendously, and she will accomplish whatever she decides to do!

Sadly, there wasn't a Greek system where she got her undergraduate degree, or she would have been a serious rush crush! She's interested in being a Greek, though, but I'm not sure if any of the NPC sororities bid grad students (drat the luck!).

In the meantime, keep the responses coming!