GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,283
0 members and 1,283 guests
No Members online

Old 04-29-2018, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

UT rushing as a sophmore

Hi, I know it is very competitive to rush as a junior at University of Texas at Austin but can Y'all give me any tips on what to say, how to stand out, how to approach the girls, and very important how to get letters of recommendation? It is a little unclear to me how to get letters. I am very aware that is competitive because I will be competing with 18-year-olds and they are more PNM than I am. I'm still doing recruitment because I don't wanna miss out on this opportunity! life is short!!
Old 04-29-2018, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Do a search on the site.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemo984 View Post
Hi, I know it is very competitive to rush as a junior at University of Texas at Austin but can Y'all give me any tips on what to say, how to stand out, how to approach the girls, and very important how to get letters of recommendation? It is a little unclear to me how to get letters. I am very aware that is competitive because I will be competing with 18-year-olds and they are more PNM than I am. I'm still doing recruitment because I don't wanna miss out on this opportunity! life is short!!
Answers to those questions is exactly what we answer on this site. These questions have been asked & answered here many, many, many times before! Do some google searching and you should come up with plenty of insight to UT Austin Greek life! GOod luck.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Answers to those questions is exactly what we answer on this site. These questions have been asked & answered here many, many, many times before! Do some google searching and you should come up with plenty of insight to UT Austin Greek life! GOod luck.
I was doing credit conversions and I actually qualify as a sophomore because of my major. I have greater chances now because I know for a fact that there is a sophomore quota there. That doesn't mean they will use it so I gotta do my best! I really want to be the first one in my family to start a legacy
Old 05-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Keep your options really open because sometimes sororities choose not to use an upperclassman quota. It's optional for them.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Keep your options really open because sometimes sororities choose not to use an upperclassman quota. It's optional for them.
Exactly, I gotta have impressive qualities (which I think I do) and meet girls ASAP so they vouch for me. My options are very wide open not going to lie, I do not like to be biased.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Be open to every chapter at UT. As far as upperclassman quota, in addition to what carnation said, I'd add that many "true sophomores" going through UT have a year under their belts on campus (so to speak), and have formed connections with actives in the chapters. This is a fact, and one that will help you deal with any cuts/releases you'll receive.

You've probably read through threads on UT here and elsewhere. So you should have a good understanding of what you're facing. And the threads on how to obtain recs are very helpful!

The bottom line is that you are going into one highly competitive system. Good luck!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-01-2018, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Be open to every chapter at UT. As far as upperclassman quota, in addition to what carnation said, I'd add that many "true sophomores" going through UT have a year under their belts on campus (so to speak), and have formed connections with actives in the chapters. This is a fact, and one that will help you deal with any cuts/releases you'll receive.

You've probably read through threads on UT here and elsewhere. So you should have a good understanding of what you're facing. And the threads on how to obtain recs are very helpful!

The bottom line is that you are going into one highly competitive system. Good luck!
---Okay, so I signed up for a Panhellenic group in my area. Fortunately, a lot of alumnae live near me. I also got an Internship at Rice University, do you/everyone think that would make me stand out from the rest?
---I am being very open-minded about this process but I do plan on doing recruitment, don't want to miss out on this for sure.
---Since I changed my major I am still going to be considered a freshman until fall 2018
Old 05-01-2018, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemo984 View Post
---Okay, so I signed up for a Panhellenic group in my area. Fortunately, a lot of alumnae live near me. I also got an Internship at Rice University, do you/everyone think that would make me stand out from the rest?
Re: standing out. Remember, most girls going through recruitment will have outstanding resumes, great personalities, dressed very well, etc. It's extremely competitive at a school like UT as you have pointed out so many resumes are filled with just as many amazing things.

My experience is that the best way to stand out, past having the best resume you can have and getting solid recs, is to genuinely look to connect with the girls in each house. Focus on getting to know them, be a good conversationalist, don't be a conversation hog. Dress your best. Be eager and excited but not desperate. I've seen girls want to be in a house so badly that you could sense it and that's a sure way to turn members off.

I'll end with this advice: be committed, but detached. Yes, want to be in a sorority with all your heart, but also go and enjoy the process with no attachment to any house or even to being Greek. You really have to "let go" and enjoy it, that's how you'll do your best. Good luck.

Last edited by NYCMS; 05-02-2018 at 10:05 AM.