GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,755
1 members and 1,754 guests
Titchou

Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa key story

Today must be Kappa day.

Here's an article (published a couple of years ago) about a Kappa badge.

http://digitalcommons.iwu.edu/cgi/vi...context=iwumag
Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this a typo or is this just something I never knew?
Quote:
In 1867, 12 women at Monmouth College founded Alpha Delta, the first female
fraternity in the Midwest and the first to use the men’s fraternity as its model
I thought Theta was the first?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
Today must be Kappa day.

Here's an article (published a couple of years ago) about a Kappa badge.

http://digitalcommons.iwu.edu/cgi/vi...context=iwumag
What a great article! I wish ADPi had something like KKG's Keepers of the Key.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the post! Looking forward to going home and reading it on a real computer!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
Is this a typo or is this just something I never knew?

I thought Theta was the first?
I don't know about this organization either. I'll be interested to see what others with more knowledge of Greek history have to say. Theta was formed Jan 27, 1870 as a Greek lettered fraternity for women.

The ADPi web site doesn't say anything of this Alpha Delta organization. Adelphean Society did not change the name of the organization to Greek letters until 1905 and even then, it was Alpha Delta Phi.

From the ADPi web site:

1836: Wesleyan Female College was founded as Georgia Female College in Macon, Georgia, as the first college in the world to grant degrees to women.

1851: Alpha Delta Pi was founded by Eugenia Tucker on May 15th as The Adelphean Society, making it the first secret society for women.

1852: The Philomathean Society (later Phi Mu) was founded on March 4th at Wesleyan Female College.

1905: The Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi and became a national organization. Beta Chapter was established at Salem College in Winston-Salem.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I don't know about this organization either. I'll be interested to see what others with more knowledge of Greek history have to say. Theta was formed Jan 27, 1870 as a Greek lettered fraternity for women.

The ADPi web site doesn't say anything of this Alpha Delta organization. Adelphean Society did not change the name of the organization to Greek letters until 1905 and even then, it was Alpha Delta Phi.

From the ADPi web site:

1836: Wesleyan Female College was founded as Georgia Female College in Macon, Georgia, as the first college in the world to grant degrees to women.

1851: Alpha Delta Pi was founded by Eugenia Tucker on May 15th as The Adelphean Society, making it the first secret society for women.

1852: The Philomathean Society (later Phi Mu) was founded on March 4th at Wesleyan Female College.

1905: The Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi and became a national organization. Beta Chapter was established at Salem College in Winston-Salem.
I don't think Alpha Delta is suppose to be the same as ADPi as it states in the article that Alpha Delta was founded at Monmouth College (ADPi was founded at Wesleyan College).

Last edited by Mevara; 05-01-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
I don't think it Alpha Delta is suppose to be the same as ADPi as it states in the article that Alpha Delta was founded at Monmouth College and ADPi was at Wesleyan College.
OK, I see... I guess I jumped to the inaccurate assumption that the Alpha Delta that the article referred to later evolved to ADPi, since they were mentioned several times in the article. Still wondering what Alpha Delta is or was!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I looked up Alpha Delta in Baird's and there isn't anything. I also looked up the list of colleges and universities where fraternities and sororities were founded and there are only two listed for Monmouth - Kappa and Pi Phi.

There is an Alpha Delta listed as a journalistic recognition society but it was in Illinois in 1929.

Loved reading the story. The Kappa key is one of my favorite badges, bar none.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I think there is a simple explanation (with a friendly wave to Pi Beta Phi!): April 1867, I.C. Sorosis was founded at Monmouth College. No idea where "Alpha Delta" came from.

IMO: The author didn't clearly edit/vet/proof facts.

I don't like to get into discussions about "first" because those ADPis have that violet volcano business... and I *think* Phi Mu gets a little action here as well. Those Macon Magnolias are not to be messed with.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

^Agreed. Methinks the author was just misinformed.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

They're different firsts. All three have a claim to be the "oldest."

Alpha Delta Pi/The Adelphean Society: First secret society for women (1851). They were founded first and they are the oldest, but they didn't have a greek letter name until they went national in 1905.

Pi Beta Phi/I.C. Sororis: First national women's fraternity (1867). They didn't have a greek letter name when they were founded, but they were the first to expand to other campuses. The second chapter was founded in 1868 at Iowa Wesleyan.

Kappa Alpha Theta: First greek letter organization for women (1870). They were the first to be founded with a greek letter name.