GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,304
2 members and 1,302 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-25-2015, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

New Member of ASA Making History

I found this online. A young woman at Murray State is now the first woman with Downs Syndrome to accept a bid to a sorority. Below is the video. With all the negativity regarding Greek Life, I wanted to highlight the amazing sisterhood of Alpha Sigma Alpha and how they have helped this young woman become a member of something so special. Great job, ladies!

This should warm your heart. Congrats to the ladies of Alpha Sigma Alpha and their newest sister Alexis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUh8E5Az85c
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-25-2015, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my best friends is an ASA at a different school and sent me this. I am so Panhellenically proud of that chapter for doing something so awesome.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
One of my best friends is an ASA at a different school and sent me this. I am so Panhellenically proud of that chapter for doing something so awesome.
I agree! I love that this young woman gets to truly experience sisterhood. Clearly, this chapter is doing something right! Keep up the great work to Murray State University!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to have to send the link to this video to a friend of mine. Two years ago, I was asked to privately teach math to "Molly" ... who was born when her mother was 53 years old. "Molly" does not have Down's Syndrome, but she is very much developmentally delayed. When I started working with "Molly" she was in 7th grade, but doing math at a kindergarten level. Her mother has since moved with her to Illinois to a college prep school for students with special needs. Knowing how much "Molly" believes that she will attend college on time with her peers, it is wonderful to know that she might have an opportunity to join a sorority. She would be a wonderful sister!

Last edited by Loyally Kappa; 08-25-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! That made my day -- and apparently history too. I haven't heard of sororities pledging women with other developmental disabilities either.

Congrats to Alexis and ASA!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyally Kappa View Post
I'm going to have to send the link to this video to a friend of mine. Two years ago, I was asked to privately teach math to "Molly" ... who was born when her mother was 53 years old. "Molly" does not have Down's Syndrome, but she is very much developmentally delayed. When I started working with "Molly" she was in 7th grade, but doing math at a kindergarten level. Her mother has since moved with her to Illinois to a college prep school for students with special needs. Knowing how much "Molly" believes that she will attend college on time with her peers, it is wonderful to know that she might have an opportunity to join a sorority. She would be a wonderful sister!
I hope Molly achieves her dream!

Even for students who don't receive a regular high school diploma or (regular) admission to college, I have noticed programs being implemented in several states that provide a college experience for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Students live on campus in a mentored situation and take (often audit) several courses while also participating in campus activities. These students may also have a job on campus and receive support/instruction aimed at independence and/or job skills.

This is different from the students enrolled in degree-seeking programs who receive accommodations through the ADA office. It's a great way to include these students in a community of peers while they prepare for independence and a future job.

Your friend is probably aware of some of these options (not sure what is available in IL), but I just thought I would mention anyway.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
I found this online. A young woman at Murray State is now the first woman with Downs Syndrome to accept a bid to a sorority. Below is the video. With all the negativity regarding Greek Life, I wanted to highlight the amazing sisterhood of Alpha Sigma Alpha and how they have helped this young woman become a member of something so special. Great job, ladies!

This should warm your heart. Congrats to the ladies of Alpha Sigma Alpha and their newest sister Alexis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUh8E5Az85c
My son is a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon at Murray State. They have a great Greek community there .... so proud to be a Racer parent today!

here's a little more to this awesome story: http://theodysseyonline.com/murray-s...orority/150507

Last edited by ceciliaky; 08-26-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Reading about this brightened my day! I'm so glad that this young woman was able to find her sisterhood and I hope that she will enjoy every aspect of sisterhood that ASA has to offer! The more inclusive Greeks are, the better and stronger we become as organizations and as a community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciliaky View Post
here's a little more to this awesome story: http://theodysseyonline.com/murray-s...orority/150507
I enjoyed reading this. She seems like a wonderful young lady and I wish her much success and happiness.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 08-26-2015, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Aspire! Seek! Attain! I'm so proud of my Murray State sisters and our new member, Alexis.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

What does that say about the self-confidence of those girls? And morals? And priorities? So proud of them. Mizpah, ladies!!!