GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,316
2 members and 1,314 guests
AOIIalum, Titchou

Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha, you got me! I'm both of those.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM1526 View Post
Hi all! I'm rushing this fall at a large southern state school and had a quick question. My high school activities, while I had some cooler ones like student council, were mostly activities that are perceived as "dorky". I'm not a nerd, but I'm sure it sounds like I am from my recruitment application (and maybe rec letters, too). I was curious as to if I'll be judged by the sororities because of this. I know that if a group doesn't accept me for things like that, then I don't want to be a part of that group and that sisters have many different interests and activities, but I'm curious. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Not every PNM is a girl who was student council president, cheerleader or involved other perceived "cool kid activity." PNMs have a variety of activities and interests, and sororities know that. I wouldn't omit activities just because you don't think they're "cool ones."

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Wait, scholastic bowl isn't cool anymore? Damn.

There's nothing wrong with being smart, being a nerd, or liking to do smart things. You're in college for a reason!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

These activitites, now matter how "dorky" you think they might make you sound, are a great representation of your level of commitment to your education and interests. Embrace them! Not only can they be impressive, but they can help you stand out.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 PM

Mathletes are nice to have around the house

Also, depending on the HS, sometimes even "cool" activities aren't that cool...i.e. if everyone who went to Hamburger HS who tried out for cheerleader got to be one, that kind of cuts down on the coolness factor.

Don't worry about it. As you said, if a group is so homogenous that it only wants pageant queens or majorettes, you probably would not enjoy membership in it anyway.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much y'all! I feel much better now knowing that it's a perfectly common thing. Tina, I'd never though of it as helping me stand out before, but you made a great point!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey guys i have a question. I'm filling out my application at the moment but i've come across a problem. I don't know how many people graduated from my school and I don't know what place I came in. Is it okay if I left it blank. Also, it asks to upload a picture. Would it be okay to use a picture of me at the beach? I'm in a bikini, but you can barely see any skin because i'm lying down. Would that be inappropriate still?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejihyungrace View Post
Hey guys i have a question. I'm filling out my application at the moment but i've come across a problem. I don't know how many people graduated from my school and I don't know what place I came in. Is it okay if I left it blank. Also, it asks to upload a picture. Would it be okay to use a picture of me at the beach? I'm in a bikini, but you can barely see any skin because i'm lying down. Would that be inappropriate still?
I'd forego the bikini pic. If you took senior pics/portraits, and had a nice headshot taken, I'd upload one of those.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I'd forego the bikini pic. If you took senior pics/portraits, and had a nice headshot taken, I'd upload one of those.
Agreed. As for class rank you can probably find that on your high school transcript. Contact your high school.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 09-20-2010, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejihyungrace View Post
Does your school district have a website? They often have enrollment figures for schools. OR, do you know how many students approximately were in your graduating class? Multiply that by 4 (unless freshman are still in the junior high). Some high schools do not have class rankings, your high school might be one of them.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

/swerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Does your school district have a website? They often have enrollment figures for schools. OR, do you know how many students approximately were in your graduating class? Multiply that by 4 (unless freshman are still in the junior high). Some high schools do not have class rankings, your high school might be one of them.
Excuse me; but if she doesn't know how many people graduated in her class, and she doesn't know what place she was in her graduating class, how is what you're suggesting going to help?

It's kind of like when Yogi Berra said, "If you ask me anything I don't know, I'm not going to answer."
Old 09-28-2010, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for all this information! It answered any possible question I may have. I'm preparing already for next fall recruitment when I become a sophomore.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
/swerve

Excuse me; but if she doesn't know how many people graduated in her class, and she doesn't know what place she was in her graduating class, how is what you're suggesting going to help?

It's kind of like when Yogi Berra said, "If you ask me anything I don't know, I'm not going to answer."
Arghh-I plead insomnia and fuzzyhead syndrome. I SHOULD have said take the total enrollment figure from the school website, if available, and divide by 4 (if freshman-senior classes enrolled there) to get an approximate class total. But a moot point now.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's my situation. I will be rushing next fall at a major sec school. I'm currently a freshman at a small college that does not offer many clubs and organizations. I do have good grades (Currently a 3.1 GPA; trying to get it higher) but I feel like that is not enough. What would you suggest that I do so that I will have a GREAT resume' for sorority recruitment?!

PS: I have posted this question before on other threads but I have never really gotten a straight up answer!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missblonde View Post
Here's my situation. I will be rushing next fall at a major sec school. I'm currently a freshman at a small college that does not offer many clubs and organizations. I do have good grades (Currently a 3.1 GPA; trying to get it higher) but I feel like that is not enough. What would you suggest that I do so that I will have a GREAT resume' for sorority recruitment?!

PS: I have posted this question before on other threads but I have never really gotten a straight up answer!
Um, find something to get involved in? Seriously.

Even if your SCHOOL doesn't have anything that interests you (which is hard to believe because most universities-even the small ones-have a variety of activities), the local community might.

For example: You like animals? Volunteer at a shelter.

We can't tell you what to get involved in (because not everyone is interested in the same things). Just find something you like.

I CAN tell you not to just run out and sign up for a bunch of things just to "have an awesome resume for recruitment." That is a waste of both your time and the organizations'.

Lakers Nation.